jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! How long does that last you?

It is so hard to say. First, half of that will go to my friend Scott who has WAY more tanks than I do. ...still 21 pounds of food is a lot. Keep in mind that 2.2 lbs is a lot and the cubes trays of mysis are usually 3.5 ounces. I feed more frozen when I am not coaching or not too busy with my business, but this should last about 6-8 months.

You can get those baskets at any place that sells pond stuff... or online.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a few photos of the easy to reach stuff. Still iPhone 10 photos unedited under 14k Phoenix bulbs with no supplements.

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.22.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.22.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.22.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.22.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.22.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.23.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.23.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.23.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.23.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.23.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.23.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 4.24.00 PM.png

LimestoneCowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried bumblebee snails and they dont seem to have made a substantial difference. Maybe with smaller ones, but still have a bunch of bigger ones in the tank after over a year.
I have read and tried KZ Coral Snow for the small vermatids and it seems to have at least knocked the Vermatids down substantially after a couple doses. I mix my own with the recipe that is on R2R somewhere, but it might be worth a shot.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how it got started, but I usually change out my MH bulbs around Valentines day every year... probably because it is in the dead of Winter and it is a good time. I changed out my 14k Phoenix yesterday and noticed that I forgot to change them last year. I have used 14k Phoenix for 2 years before, but usually on purpose. In any case, new bulbs in now.

Also had to refill my Korallin with about 20-25 pounds of what was left of my reborn. I am almost out of my stash. Probably have to mix 50/50 with some ARM next time, which is no big deal. I don't mind ARM at all. I need to get a 50 lb sack of it.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doug,

What’s your perspective on the potential heightened adaptivity/tolerance of tenius to elevated nutrients as compared to non-tenius?

I think we’ve touched on this before but I don’t perfectly recall walking away with your position on things.

How do you compare how sensitive tenius are to elevated nutrients as compared to other acros? Deep waters in general come to mind. Yellow variety of caroliniana come to mind, as well as some loripes and granulosa.

EDIT: Sorry, this just came to mind. You’re a proponent of live rock. Have you tried your hand at a purely dry rock tank? I doubt you have because I think you’re a live rock proponent (and rightfully so) but wanted to hear it from you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seem to be different kinds of any acro that do OK in both elevated levels of building blocks while some suffer. Tenuis is no different... some will stop growing and die while others don't seem to matter at all, but more of these seem to do OK. Echinata is perhaps the easiest species to see where ORA Hawkins can do OK in a lot of tanks, but something like Ice Fire, or most other kinds, are an impossible task to some. Most stags don't seem to care at all. I do not think that these corals adapted in just a few decades, so they have something in them to allow them the tolerance. In the end, I keep my residual building block levels low and have very high availability through ammonia/ammonium and the various types of phoshate/phosphorous/organic/inorganic so that no living thing is deprived of what it needs to grow yet also is not growth limited by higher concentrations.

There is no chance that I would start a tank with dry rock as long as I could get live. I don't buy into the whole "pests" argument and I can do math where the cost to fight dinos, hair, etc. can be WAY more than just purchasing live rock. I might have to use only dry some day, but if I do, it the dry rock will likely be in a bin with some light for a year, or more, until I can see pods and sponges everywhere and all of the phosphate is gone. I can still get really nice live rock locally from people getting out of the hobby for nearly nothing and while it is usually neglected, I can get it back to full functionality in a handful of months.

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda Thank for your advise on metal halides in my thread. I’m glad I read through your build thread and have really enjoyed it. I definitely think I’m gonna stick with the metal halides I had stored away instead of buying new expensive LEDs. Those lights look like they work great for you. I’m tagging along for the rest of your build. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new phone and kept forgetting to order an underwater case. Tank has been humming for the most part. Had a few hiccups... my at-least 10 year old Vornado quit one day and the tank got to 85 degrees before I replaced the fan - it will take another few weeks for 100% color to come back. Had a picking fish that I caught in the trap. On the good side, queen angel ate all of the tasty zoas and appears to be going after the nuisance ones - this is great for me... they are kinda disappearing. Bubble algae is starting to reappear in some places, so need to make a reeftopia.com order for some emerald crabs.

Long overdue photos... iPhone 12 with no editing.

CSB needs plastic surgery soon... this is a 10 inch basket.
Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 8.26.34 PM.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back