Jebao doser woes

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 head Jebao doser that will not hold suction on any of my dosing liquids. I have gotten all the air out and have it dosing correctly. But when I check on it the next day, huge air pockets have formed in the silicone tubing. I have put appropriately sized, tight small hose clamps on all of the tubing but this did not seem to help at all. Any suggestions?

doser.jpg

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar, which I reckon was due to the liquid itself offgassing. That was the only thing I could think of as everything else was sealed solid. So I just had to adjust and make sure that my dosing volume was high enough to cater for gas bubbles. If needed, I would dilute the solution to increase the volume required.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ever since i switched to silicone tubing, all my bubble troubles went away.

J.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyggar priced the same but I have had no problems. Works great and quiet

Attachments

• F5DE1626-8977-4E59-B731-420AD7F4C14E.jpeg
    F5DE1626-8977-4E59-B731-420AD7F4C14E.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 101
  • C010399E-98C2-4D18-B3D0-C4C06BD86DDB.jpeg
    C010399E-98C2-4D18-B3D0-C4C06BD86DDB.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ever since i switched to silicone tubing, all my bubble troubles went away.

J.

Silicone tubing is what I am using now.

How do you have connected to the containers?

It is connected to a dosing container made by Simplicity. I have them pushed in pretty tight. Of course the containers themselves are not tight but have loose fitting tops.

Have you seen this? I have one here that was assembled wrong that I fixed.

I actually saw that video a while back. I took apart one of my dosing heads to check, but it was put on the correct way.

Attachments

• dosing container.jpg
    dosing container.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 106

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also a member of the Jebao victims club, welcome to the club. it’s a terrible product and I do bear
a grudge.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also a member of the Jebao victims club, welcome to the club. it’s a terrible product and I do bear
a grudge.

I actually just installed their 36 watt UV sterilizer a couple of weeks ago and couldn’t be happier. It works great. But I am really regretting the doser.
I could see there being an issue if it did not dose at all. the pump does work well for me. It is just a matter of the air bubbles. Drives me crazy when I have it set to does 4ml a day of alkalinity, but instead get a couple of drops and the rest air.
There has got to be a fix for this I would think.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a jebao powerhead that cost close to $100, it lasted 3 weeks and stopped working. I almost bought the same dozer you did, really came this close, but opted instead for the kamoer. I can’t bring myself to trust them again.

But good luck I honestly hope you can figure it out.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably those hose connectors, I have the same style pumpheads, from kamoer, with different connectors, that have barbs and aren't smooth, never had an air bubble, no clamps or anything

Just guessing here, but on the pictures it definitely looks like the air is coming from the side of the external hoses

cents worth of plastic

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't hold the suction bc those rotors and the silicone tubing are not the best quality so it doesn't maintain the perfect peristalic seal. To fix this you basically want to keep the dosing bottles as close to the same level as where your out tube drips out. In principle this is still your basic syphon so the smaller the pressure differential from different levels, the less stress on the "imperfect" peristalic seal.

To make it safe, just keep the bottles "slightly" lower than the drip opening bc if the peristalic seal leaks, you want let it at least slowly drain back into the bottle than to have it slowly drain into your tank..

Usually if yiu keep the level the way I described, the back drain is slow slow that the daily dosing would correctly it and mitigate the issue.

I basically only see "bubbles" accumulate slowly over a month and I do manual pump once a month to pump the air out.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess now we know why the name brand dosers cost several hundred dollars. I just can’t bring myself to pay $300 for a doser.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I always used the soft blue silicone tubing as airline tubing seemed to be less than cooperative

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tubing I am using. I like the clear tubing so I can see the level of the liquid. If you can suggest a better option, I am willing to try it. Preferably clear.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tubing I am using. I like the clear tubing so I can see the level of the liquid. If you can suggest a better option, I am willing to try it. Preferably clear.

what size did you get?

mine is ID: 4mm, OD: 6mm

J.

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had issue in the past but i bought new heads for it and it fixed it. I haven't used the dose in over a year though... just sitting there collecting dust.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess now we know why the name brand dosers cost several hundred dollars. I just can’t bring myself to pay $300 for a doser.

You get what you pay for. As you said... there's a reason that the better dosers cost more.

If you want to step up to better quality, the Kamoer pumps really are fantastic. I started out with a Jebao, got fed up with it after about a year, moved up to an Aqua Medic pump that you can't get anymore and finally ended up with a trio of the Kamoer X1 Bluetooth pumps. And that's actually what I would recommend, either that or the WiFi model. They're on sale right now at $48/ea for the Bluetooth model, so $192 would take care of all four channels for you and give you something that's infinitely more reliable and accurate than the Jebao doser.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back