Jebao Wavemaker help

BangedUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all, one of my wavemakers starting making a noise, kinda like a grinding as the impeller is spinning, I just took it out to give it a good vinegar/water soak just in case it’s a little dirty, could it be anything else if not?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Jebao powerheads do this too. I don’t think anything is stuck in there, my assumption is more the just cheap materials in it. I really wish that some Vortechs were way cheaper than they are, I just can’t justify $700 on flow LOL.

JimmyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two jebao rw15 running straight for 2 1/2 years. No problems at all, just clean often just like any other pump. Might be that a piece of sand or something got into the impeller slot . I too can't justify The price of vortechs or tunze pumps, not that I would like to have them . I am thinking about two more to add to the first two for my 180.

OP
OP
BangedUp

BangedUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the cleaning didn’t help, took it all apart and nothing lodged in there, ugh, not even that old

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plastic bushings on either end of the impeller shaft, examine them closely. Most of the trouble I have seen with these pumps stems out of that area.

OP
OP
BangedUp

BangedUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plastic bushings on either end of the impeller shaft, examine them closely. Most of the trouble I have seen with these pumps stems out of that area.

I checked everything when I had it apart to clean, all fitting nicely still, nothing is worn

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing I would do is check for "slop" in the armature and rotating mechanism. It doesn't take much for that impeller to make a ton of noise.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a rr-8 and rr-4 the 8 is quite . I can hear a very low humm. Not bad. So I got the rr-4 it has a grinding noise to it.. I set up a return, going to get another 8 and put it on a lower speed. I wish the 4 would work bc of the size but not chancing I’m getting another one. Yours might just be defective

OP
OP
BangedUp

BangedUp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is this jebao did you recently purchase it.

Just about a year, they are so much cheaper than others I’ll just buy another if I have to, have 3 others that are perfect it was just weird that it was perfect and then now “clicks” when running

JimmyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about a year, they are so much cheaper than others I’ll just buy another if I have to, have 3 others that are perfect it was just weird that it was perfect and then now “clicks” when running
Sometimes that happens I suppose, but one would hope they last for years at least. Even the high dollar vortechs and tunze can go within a few months to a year. looks like neo jeos pump was only three days old unfortunately, at least a return can be made there..

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change out the internal ceramic busing with air line tubing. Did that on my RW-8 and it worked flawlessly, and made it more quiet running.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what now!?
If you take out the actual impeller, there is a ceramic bushing on the inside of the pump. It's in a rubber sleeve. If you change out the ceramic bushing for a piece of same size air line tubing, you prevent the impeller from seizing up and it runs more quiet.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take out the actual impeller, there is a ceramic bushing on the inside of the pump. It's in a rubber sleeve. If you change out the ceramic bushing for a piece of same size air line tubing, you prevent the impeller from seizing up and it runs more quiet.
Interesting how did you come up with that lol ?

“ i’m just going to stick airline tubing in here “

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting how did you come up with that lol ?

“ i’m just going to stick airline tubing in here “
Can't take credit for it. I was having a lot of issues with my RW-8 seizing up in my old tank. Did some investigating/research and found this tip. Tried it out and was very happy with the results!

caver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a older stuck pp4 I will have to try it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back