OP
OP
Hammerheadz

Hammerheadz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the new Radions. Got the lighting set up with the LPS presets. A lot of light spillage though. Going to have to find a solve for that ASAP. Welcome recommendations and suggestions.

20210219_144126.jpg
20210219_144755.jpg

OP
OP
Hammerheadz

Hammerheadz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was rough for about 4 days. Finally warmed up a bit today and power stabilized... Power was down a lot. Luckily I have a fireplace I kept burning hot that kept the house even and I have a large generator that kept the tanks, fridge and miscellaneous things going. My only causality was my 5 stage RODI I had set up in my garage that busted out and is ruined along with a busted pipe in the wall in my garage that went to my washing machine. Sucks losing a $300 nearly new RODI but it could of been a lot worse. One of my LFS experienced a total loss of all livestock and tons of local reefers have lost all their fish and corals just not able to keep up with the cold. It's very sad.

IGROZOAS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank build. I have pretty much the same set up but different lights. The spillage is bad on these tanks with LEDS. I bought diffusers to help but only helped a little. I also notice it’s worse when you use the tank cover. It seems the light spreads out more. How does that skimmer work in that chamber? I have the same skimmer but never thought to put it in that spot?

OP
OP
Hammerheadz

Hammerheadz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your tank build. I have pretty much the same set up but different lights. The spillage is bad on these tanks with LEDS. I bought diffusers to help but only helped a little. I also notice it’s worse when you use the tank cover. It seems the light spreads out more. How does that skimmer work in that chamber? I have the same skimmer but never thought to put it in that spot?
So far so good. I can't find a con yet. It fits well there. I have no problem achieving and tweaking the right water depth. In fact I find it easier to adjust because the magnets are on the side or back corner of the tank and not harder to reach on the more center back. It also puts a chamber between the skimmer and the return chamber that helps kill any microbubbles from returning to the display.

The only potential con is that you can't run a sock there but if like me and you don't want to run socks then it's all good. I'll pull my caddy and skimmer out and drop a sock on each side when I'm doing clean up and maintenance on the tank or if there is a particular reason for it but won't be running them more that situationally.

Will be regularly feeding pods to this system and don't want them all being removed from the system by the socks. Plus pulling the caddy and skimmer out once a month to clean them up for a monthly maintenance is just a good practice anyways. When I do that I'll drop some socks and do a clean up of the sand bed and a flush of any detritus in any of the chambers.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. I can't find a con yet. It fits well there. I have no problem achieving and tweaking the right water depth. In fact I find it easier to adjust because the magnets are on the side or back corner of the tank and not harder to reach on the more center back. It also puts a chamber between the skimmer and the return chamber that helps kill any microbubbles from returning to the display.

The only potential con is that you can't run a sock there but if like me and you don't want to run socks then it's all good. I'll pull my caddy and skimmer out and drop a sock on each side when I'm doing clean up and maintenance on the tank or if there is a particular reason for it but won't be running them more that situationally.

Will be regularly feeding pods to this system and don't want them all being removed from the system by the socks. Plus pulling the caddy and skimmer out once a month to clean them up for a monthly maintenance is just a good practice anyways. When I do that I'll drop some socks and do a clean up of the sand bed and a flush of any detritus in any of the chambers.
Regarding socks, I removed mine, catching too many pods. I like using simple filter material (white and pink) I cut to size into my caddy and occasional put carbon under. I find this really easy, does the job and is cheap.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octo 1000 is on my 40g frag tank. I have the Tunze 9004 in the 30l AIO.
Gotcha. Ya I’m just doing periodic water changes (couple gallons per week). I have two one gallon rubbermaid pitchers, makes it pretty quick and easy.

OP
OP
Hammerheadz

Hammerheadz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Ya I’m just doing periodic water changes (couple gallons per week). I have two one gallon rubbermaid pitchers, makes it pretty quick and easy.
You know the skimmer is doing a really good job of pulling from the system and all my levels are consistently pretty good right now. Nitrates run at around 20ppm but my LPS and Zoas seem to love that. I feed pretty heavy with 4 Chromis, 2 dartfish, 2 clowns a cardinal and a blenny. I have about 50 coral frags growing out in the system with room for many more. I've doing a 3.5 gallon change on the frag tank every 2 weeks. A roughly 10% change on my water volume accounting for displacement.

Back