Jellyfish Tank

Enoplus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank currently houses 3 upside down jellies and one lagoon jelly. The tank is a 20 long, I have a 2ft long t5 growlight for lighting as they contain zooxanthellae, and I have some sheets of glass for the light to rest on and to limit evaporation. The pump, filtermedia, and heater are separated by a piece of eggcrate, the pump is covered by a chunk of sponge to limit waterflow. I've also covered the sides in aluminum foil as to keep as much light in as possible, I don't know how useful this is. I feed them baby brine shrimp every day or so, but the upside down jellies can go a long time without food as long as they are well lit. AFAIK neither of these jellyfish require kreisels as upside down jellies sit on the bottom of the tank and lagoon jellies are strong enough to swim by themselves.

20201028_060852.jpg

Full tank shot

20201028_061805.jpg

Filter compartment

DSCN1743.JPG

DSCN1741.JPG

One of the upside down jellies

DSCN1758.JPG

The lagoon jelly, water looks yellow because the lights mess with the camera

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite places on Earth is a spot in the Florida Keys where tens of thousands of these things, in about eight different colors, live and make this large area look like an amazing flower garden. I hope to be able to make a simulation of it in a big tank someday. These little guys are just adorable.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! How difficult are they to keep?

Also 400w heater seems scary in a 20L tank, what's up with that?

OP
OP
Enoplus

Enoplus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! How difficult are they to keep?

Also 400w heater seems scary in a 20L tank, what's up with that?
They've been pretty easy to keep so far, I think anyone with basic saltwater aquarium knowledge could keep upside down or lagoon jellyfish. The most important things to keep in mind are to make sure they can't get sucked into any pumps and to keep the flow fairly low. Regarding the heater, it was the cheapest one with the best reviews on amazon, in my experience its a really nice heater and I'm not worried about it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 58 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back