Jellyfish!!

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok…so I’m not new to the SW hobby….

I have purchased my 9 year old a 5 gallon Jellyfish tank. This is definitely new though.

I have questions and searching is apparently too hard for me so I’m looking for direction.

I’d like to use an ATO. I’d also like to use an AWC system (the autoaqua AWC or whatever). Plan is to put the tank on a 36” stand and place 3, 5 gallon jugs underneath (fresh, new SW, and old SW. Sounds like I need to change about a gallon a week so refilling some jugs once a month feels a lot easier to me.

Maybe I am overthinking this so I’m looking for some experiences and mods or automations to make the setup easier to maintain.

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had those all in one moon jelly tank for a while and i think the number one thing is nutrient control. Since there are no live rocks or anything like that, ammonia just seems to pile up, I think feeding is like something you got to really tune, cuz you need to feed enough that it gets in their mouth but not too much to fowl up the water.

I dont got the tank anymore but I do have upside down jellys in my sump expansion, really easy to care for since its photosynthetic, compared to the moon jellies at least.

What jelly are you planning to keep?

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had those all in one moon jelly tank for a while and i think the number one thing is nutrient control. Since there are no live rocks or anything like that, ammonia just seems to pile up, I think feeding is like something you got to really tune, cuz you need to feed enough that it gets in their mouth but not too much to fowl up the water.

I dont got the tank anymore but I do have upside down jellys in my sump expansion, really easy to care for since its photosynthetic, compared to the moon jellies at least.

What jelly are you planning to keep?
I think Moon Jellies. They come with the tank (they send them once the tank has cycled). They recommended feeding live food to avoid nutrient pileup in the bottom or having a couple hermit crabs in there.

The nutrient thing is killing me. I might ask about some sand in the bottom maybe. I’m guessing there’s a reason you can’t do this though.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have hermit crabs, as the bells are very fragile.

When I had them I would feed them then 10-15 minutes after feeding suck out all extra food with an extra long baster and replace water with fresh salt water. This required a fresh supply of salt water at all times, but worked very well. Jellyfish tanks have every little flow so most of the time all the extra food will end up on the bottom, so I think target cleaning the extra food help with the nutrients.

I would recommend active golden spheres from brine shrimp direct:

I also used their brine shrimp eggs and hatched them out but I found the food above worked just as well, it is repackaged to other brands as well so you might be able to find it elsewhere.

The jelly fish will basically sweep across the bottom randomly and I think sand would get mucked up and maybe into their stomachs.

I just had a decent amount of ceramic filter media in the little filter in the back. I did not use an ATO as I was doing small water changes multiple times a day with feeding, just ensure the adjust the salinity accordingly.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, target cleaning is the key as is feeding enriched naups. For OP, I assume your tank is a small kreisel design and I wouldn't put sand in or anything else; it's labor intensive, but for best water conditions you should syphon detritus at least twice a day.

Last edited:

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which tank did you get if you do not mind me asking?

To keep the little ones from getting stuck to the filter on mine I added a little bit of mesh behind the filter:
1670119880889.png

I also turned on a timer to shut the flow off for 1 minute every hour overnight so if they got stuck they would not stay stuck, but this was a few years ago and I am not sure if they still have the same issues. However when they were little they seemed to get stuck way more than when they were large.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back