JET 180

Joshua Telles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hello Reef2Reef community! My current saltwater aquarium has been up since September 9, 2016. Prior to going all out for new and large reef tank setup I kept a converted old freshwater 55g aqueon which I drilled and paired with a secondhand sump. About 8 years ago I inherited a trio of goldfish with a 10g aquarium, as the goldfish grew I bought them the 55g tank. The care of the goldfish brought my attention to saltwater so when the goldfish passed I made the switch.

C72hSjsXZ4Lgl29QcnkVGpJW0LQeDsilHdivsaxe4L2KDPnZ0v-Kyr0MOJTgHIvAITmx1YllFDpoYpz-W-lNBVuvv1VZRewhJ7meHKHjZ14FUQuKpS_IBuDf9HxmBrBF77DQ8lmE

Tank manufactured by Crystal Dynamics Aquarium - 72"x24”x24” custom 3 sides low iron Starphire .5” glass eurobraced, 18” reef savvy overflow - $2000
Lights - 2 Kessil AP700 lighting panels - $1800
Return - Vectra L1 Ecotech Marine w/ 3 outlet manifold and ReefLink - $550
Flow - 2 VorTech MP40wQD QuietDrive Propeller Pumps EcoTech Marine - $750
Heater - 250W Eheim JAGER Aquarium Heater - $30
Skimmer- Skimz Oval SV223 DC Internal Protein Skimmer - $500
Reactors - BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor – Dual & PhosBan Reactor 550 - Two Little Fishies (running biopellets) - $80
Dosing - Red Sea NO3:pO4-X 9ml daily, kalkwasser via ATO
ATO - Tunze Osmolator 3155 w/ 10g aqueon tank as reservoir, filled weekly - $200
Sand - Special Grade Arag-Alive! Live Reef Sand (6 - 20pound bags) - $234
Rock - Fiji Branch (100 pounds) - $380
Filter Media - 2 Plates MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia $68, 1 sock of marineland ceramic media, 1 sock of bioballs, 1 sock of biohome media
Filter Socks - Felt Filter Sock with Plastic Ring 4” x 14” changed every couple days
Sump - DiY Glass tank 50”lx15.5”wx17”h (water level at 12”) plus 10g refugium (separate tank)

I try to do 25-30 gallon water changes weekly. I use HW-Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix with RODI filtered water.

Parameters as tested 3/26/2017:
Specific Gravity - 1.026
Ph - 8.4
Temperature - 78
Alkalinity - 12.2 dKH
Calcium - 480-500
Mag - don’t test
N03 - 0
P04 - 0.05

12eC1ZV65PvisD6DjllziUjfoBibVvhJXQL55k-faRMc1r2rtP1KvYG7OALYtLjrZuuvEOqDiWw-CYs4umgjVAur2LsL_766pnP_KEcxqhCNWTtP7vKiiKNp__KP5HaxHtFAaqF_

I have started a youtube channel as well https://www.youtube.com/user/joshuatization to track progress.

Livestock history:
9/14/16: 1st fish - Niger Triggerfish purchased from LFS (added with ATM Colony = dead fish)
10/1/16: 2nd batch of fish - 5 Firefish (2 went missing immediately, a 3rd later on, 2 still live today)
Also, added a Pajama Cardinal fish and 2 Ocellaris Clownfish from the old tank which was running on life support.
VOxNwqIMcYalWktKAMeUDieJNlN9Y0Bm-WkhoTBBJ6a-lJ6J9JPXqDFuD-kFP-sbknm2W121xB2fuUr9oM1l99TPb4XEwxLKpX51PL2DRhBkN34ww18UkHsqibQW0BKrYD5ewglV

10/8/16: inverts added - 7 Astrea snails and 2 Emerald crabs
10/13/16: introduced an Algae Blenny bought from my LFS
10/18/16: made my first purchase from liveaquaria.com - Rose Bulb Anemone, 4 Lyretail Anthias, 12 Trochus snails, 4 Carberryi Anthias and a Fighting Conch
l2MXFKzg-Y4BdhrDfCe9oIh7-4_QvGur1wKFbK9iguUwFA22RTnR1nWAmthY4p5O6nGveDyYxw3StNFCENF9jWp1OyS4lU5239koyy_jYA1zEgXqbB_QIgghU9mJUJ7McLK8p1bJ

11/2/16: 2nd purchase from liveaquaria.com - Blue Tang, Purple Tang, Powder Brown Tang (quarantined before introduced to the display)
mCHUMd2QptcYLY04zdEKWxtaaqogc2Ewp-aCNVPQhnGjva2i-t45iozkJ5oBUpPMZmV4WWEMzmMkZLVjKWWxDDRYdX-cPT-It3KMRo-kBITZ1uwE78BkyJgULSRPMD0ia8vxOMGc

2/10/17: 3rd purchase from liveaquaria.com - Copperband Butterflyfish, Linckia Sea Star (I did not plan ahead to quarantine and introduce the new fish appropriately and put the Copperband into the display; he was fatally injured by the Powder Brown Tang)
Along the way various inverts moved in: Blood Red Fire Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, numerous Astrea/Trochus/Nassarius snails, Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs, Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, Emerald Crabs and a Giant Feather Duster most recently delivered from liveaquaria.com.

Corals:
ORA - Marshall Island Lantana Coral
ORA - Australian Delicate Acropora Coral
Neon Polyp True Undata - Aquacultured CCGC
Button Coral, Parascolymia, Orange (Tonga)
Elegance Coral, Pink/Purple Tip (Australia)
Green Pachyseris Coral - Aquacultured
ORA - Marshall Island Hammer Coral
Mushroom Polyp - Umbrella
Mushroom Polyp - Ricordea Green
Mushroom Polyp - Rainbow Ricordea
Torch Coral - Green Jade
Bonape Birdsnest Acro
Paly - Metallic Green
Brain Coral - Multi Red Flower Lobo
Brain Coral Green
Vivid's Neon Green Spaghetti Leather Coral
Red Monti Cap
Green Psammocora
Superman Monti
Purple Branching Stylo
Highlights Acro
Titan Palys
Sunkist Palys
CITR Red Dragon Frag
DTW Gecko Acro Frag
Shawn Bennet Yellow Tort Frag
Neon Green Polyp Toadstool

Vendors used for live animals: 3 LFS, liveaquaria.com, saltwaterfish.com, myreeftoyours.com, algaebarn.com, aquariumdepot.com
Vendors used for dry goods: Bulkreefsupply.com, marinedepot.com, amazon.com, myaquariumbox.com

Thank you for checking out my aquarium

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it! my only question is...did the wrasse come as a hitchhiker? he seems to have mystically appeared by the 2nd fish picture :)

OP
OP
Joshua Telles

Joshua Telles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comment and the catch! I had forgotten to note when I brought in the Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse but she/he was another hold over from my 55g tank. She/He's survived a tank emancipation one morning when I heard the splat on my tile floor and tossed him back into the water.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, nice tank, mine is to the left, a large tank is surely a great way to go, right?

OP
OP
Joshua Telles

Joshua Telles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, nice tank, mine is to the left, a large tank is surely a great way to go, right?
Thank you Tautog, I'm really enjoying having a large tank with room for the bigger fish and space for corals to grow! Do you have a thread for your build?

OP
OP
Joshua Telles

Joshua Telles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May update:

parameters:
dKH = 7.8
PO4 = .03
s.g. = 1.025-1.026
pH = 8.2
Ca = 460
NO3 = 0.0
Mg = 1480

I have stopped adding kalk to my ATO and I have started to dose stump remover to boost nitrate levels.
Green hair algae has been a pain.

Coral additions bought from local reefers or liveaquaria:
Pink Zappers
Bam Bams
Fruit Loops
Tubbs Blue
BBEB
Pink Lemonade Acro
DFS Blue Blizzard Acropora Coral
DFS Neon Vermiculata Acropora Coral
ORA - Frogskin Acropora Coral
ORA - Purple Plasma Coral

fishes added:
Copperband Butterflyfish (3rd attempt)
Spotted Mandarin
Barred Rabbitfish
Yellow Tang
there may or may not be a yellowtail damselfish in the refugium cheato.

Inverts added:
Blue Tuxedo and pencil Urchin & more Astaeas

Loses:
I lost a Copperband Butterflyfish in quarantine due to ich as well as a blue tuxedo urchin.

I continue to use GFO and Carbon and I change the GFO when PO4 gets to .1 or more and I change the carbon then as well. The biopellets are a mass of clump not fluidized at all but some flow still goes through them. I have reduced NoPox down to 3ml per day. The other day I gave a single dose of sodium bicarbonate to boost Alk. I've has some aptasia appear in the display and I tried using aptasiaX which seemed to work but I had the aptasia regrow in the same spot a week or so later. Since the Copperband has been added though I haven't seen any aptasia. I added the yellow tang, copperband and rabbitfish all at once with the mandarin after a short quarantine. I added them at night and did heavy feeding for that day and the next two. I also stuck some pictures on the tank of other tangs. The aggression from the current tangs was all focused on the yellow tang which was bigger than all the others tangs. The yellow tang took a few licks but held its own and things seem to have settled down. The yellow tang took the pressure off of the copperband which was being intimidated for the first few days as well. The rabbitfish seemed to try and be the umpire during the whole ordeal and kept inserting himself into the fights which usually calmed things down for a bit.
I keep breaking tips off of coral when I'm trying to pinch out the GHA so I glue it to a plug and stick it in the back. I also may have killed a pearlberry frag from a local reefer by letting it sit on the bar while the seller and I had a couple beers over the purchase, not sure though the frag is still purpleish. Also, the pencil urchin I added immediately found my gorgonian and bit it in half then chewed down a branch.
I have also turned my lights to blue all day instead of white all day to help reduce algae not sure if its helping though.

IMG_1458.JPG

OP
OP
Joshua Telles

Joshua Telles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March 3rd 2018 my tank’s seams split and I had to drain the system and do a total tear down.
Tomorrow a new tank goes up after it was rebuilt under warranty and made bigger and with extra reinforcements.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back