Jewfish not very active

midas Blenny KING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Sorry everyone I just realized I mis titled it it should be jawfish instead* Hi everyone I am new to reef 2 reef and I have been wondering why my pearly jaw fish is just not active. I see videos of them swimming around and going far out of their caves but mine seems to stay near her cave and not even come out that much at feeding time. She is about a year and a half old and the previous one we had was also similar. Is something wrong or just inactive fish?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your "jawfish" will typically spend a lot of time in it's cave/lair if it's really happy with it. Whenever I've seen jawfish in my LFS they never (ever) come out of their holes. So I think this is fairly normal. If you want an active fish - get a chromis or anthias.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is aggressive
scuba goliath GIF

OP
OP
M

midas Blenny KING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your "jawfish" will typically spend a lot of time in it's cave/lair if it's really happy with it. Whenever I've seen jawfish in my LFS they never (ever) come out of their holes. So I think this is fairly normal. If you want an active fish - get a chromis or anthias.
Thanks, I currently also have 2 green chromis and they are not very active either. They kind of hide together. I don’t think it is my tank I have a Midas blenny that Is very active

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I currently also have 2 green chromis and they are not very active either. They kind of hide together. I don’t think it is my tank I have a Midas blenny that Is very active
Funny you say that. I have green and blue reef chromis and my Midas blenny hates them with a passion he come out and chases them all over my 180 gallon they all go everywhere and hide till he goes back to his hole. I would guess it’s him but who knows

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you say that. I have green and blue reef chromis and my Midas blenny hates them with a passion he come out and chases them all over my 180 gallon they all go everywhere and hide till he goes back to his hole. I would guess it’s him but who knows
Meanwhile my midas blenny spends nearly 23/7 in his barnacle hotel. The 9 chromis and 2 blennies are pretty much oblivious to one another...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting about the hating with a passion, lol.

OP
OP
M

midas Blenny KING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a normal jawfish cave? It seems a lot nicer than some others I have seen. (She completely did it herself) she also has about 20 hermit crab shells down in there somewhere

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back