OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spotted another bivalve. This one attached to a Cerith. I feel like it's gotta be pretty rare to have two snails, each with a bivalve attached.

AM-JKLUfwJPrJHZhg4JPcE89tGsPCoPdvfsfm98c1ilHXWIfQTH4j01VuBynn8EcoHnwSxhw6WYr4c2sxXbacL5aQHnPTegQ6WYtQRIGr6Oc27S7Wm80XETqX2wvBo7hmqZdeCvGRtVHk4ccPywptnERY6ke=w723-h1286-no

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Thursday I had a couple pounds of Florida aqua-cultured live rock delivered. I've had it cooking in a 5g bucket ever since. Plan to pull it out this weekend, strip the macro algae(I'll feed more to the pithos don't worry), and investigate more thoroughly for nastier pests. I probably won't transfer this rock to the main tank for a couple weeks.

The idea was break it down into rubble and use it in my back chamber for extra biological filtration and bacterial diversity. It's good looking stuff, so I may stick a piece in the display. We'll see.
PXL_20211007_212445616.MP.jpg

PXL_20211008_181441837.jpg

Also got a package from Indo Pacific Sea Farms yesterday. My package contained...

Live Sand Activator
WonderMud
Liquid N-Reducer
Amphipods
Baby Bristleworms
Mama Mia Worms
Nerites
Littorinids
MicroHermits
Coral Heaven(coral food)

It was $120 shipped 2 days from Hawaii.

The idea was to add even more diversity to my system and boost my sand sifting CUC. I don't want to gravel vac anymore. It's not really sustainable as the corals grow and everything fills out. I got way more than I expected in this order. My CUC easily doubled.

I only snapped a couple pics. It was a lot of work unpacking everything. They ship just about all their livestock with macro algae. Separating everything took some time.

PXL_20211008_164102917.MP.jpg

After adding wondermud and live sand activator.
PXL_20211008_172021974.MP.jpg

After everything cleared up. You can see some larger substrate down there from the live sand activator.
PXL_20211008_231753295.MP.jpg

Pitho showing the new bristle worm population who runs the CUC. From what I can tell he ripped it in half and made him into a hat. It was still wiggling around. Pretty savage stuff...
PXL_20211008_223601756.MP.jpg

PXL_20211008_223636974.MP.jpg

PXL_20211008_223528726.MP.jpg

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Thursday I had a couple pounds of Florida aqua-cultured live rock delivered. I've had it cooking in a 5g bucket ever since. Plan to pull it out this weekend, strip the macro algae(I'll feed more to the pithos don't worry), and investigate more thoroughly for nastier pests. I probably won't transfer this rock to the main tank for a couple weeks.

The idea was break it down into rubble and use it in my back chamber for extra biological filtration and bacterial diversity. It's good looking stuff, so I may stick a piece in the display. We'll see.
PXL_20211007_212445616.MP.jpg

PXL_20211008_181441837.jpg

Also got a package from Indo Pacific Sea Farms yesterday. My package contained...

Live Sand Activator
WonderMud
Liquid N-Reducer
Amphipods
Baby Bristleworms
Mama Mia Worms
Nerites
Littorinids
MicroHermits
Coral Heaven(coral food)

It was $120 shipped 2 days from Hawaii.

The idea was to add even more diversity to my system and boost my sand sifting CUC. I don't want to gravel vac anymore. It's not really sustainable as the corals grow and everything fills out. I got way more than I expected in this order. My CUC easily doubled.

I only snapped a couple pics. It was a lot of work unpacking everything. They ship just about all their livestock with macro algae. Separating everything took some time.

PXL_20211008_164102917.MP.jpg

After adding wondermud and live sand activator.
PXL_20211008_172021974.MP.jpg

After everything cleared up. You can see some larger substrate down there from the live sand activator.
PXL_20211008_231753295.MP.jpg

Pitho showing the new bristle worm population who runs the CUC. From what I can tell he ripped it in half and made him into a hat. It was still wiggling around. Pretty savage stuff...
PXL_20211008_223601756.MP.jpg

PXL_20211008_223636974.MP.jpg

PXL_20211008_223528726.MP.jpg
Omg ha what type of crab is that. Super cool in all my years have not seen one of those ? Sorry if I missed the name in a post. And they eat calurpa nice!

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg ha what type of crab is that. Super cool in all my years have not seen one of those ? Sorry if I missed the name in a post. And they eat calurpa nice!
Pitho crabs! Reef cleaners seems to be keeping better stock of them lately. And ya, they go pretty nuts for caulerpa. Ulva as well.

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots to share!

Moved some stuff around this past weekend. Green/pink pocillipora moved down next to an identical frag. German blue digi was growing into the green birdsnest, so moved back and over to right. Flower pot monti to side of rock to make extra space. New mini acro colony to right has been in the tank for a few weeks now. It is apparently "The Vihn", but has a lot of coloring up/changing to do.

I am starting to see some fantastic growth. 18 days between the two pics below. Every acro frag is encrusting and/or branching. My slowest grower continues to be the ORA Birds of Paradise to the far mid left. I've accidentally fragged it a few times. It's growing and sometimes shows some of the most insane tentacle like PE I've ever seen. I believe it's healthy. It might prefer being higher, but it's gonna have to deal with it. The CoralCare is working it's way up in intensity and I'm slowly shifting it more towards full spectrum(more whites).

This is my current schedule if anyone is curious. Thanks to @Luc Vogels for some assistance with the new fixture.

cc2spectrum.png

Growth.

9/28
AM-JKLW1HxhP2SX4NguSVbclJySyJZfPecv_h-GtPimkQUaB2ZglS6MtJRnfhXQaqZCzvwf9eotlrIqFXuxoq0oNQOGs7ZznliE8jPj_fqHJaDUC6HFdxUAw1mqDzutUPK3NQsoWjVRi7jFxmXe4M49sDtey=w1723-h970-no

10/15
pxl_20211015_224240274-mp-jpg.2380231

I'm still running high PO4. In the last month, I've been as low as .07, high as .33, and averaging about .17 PO4. Nitrates I believe are in the 5-15 range. I'm still not seeing any extra algae growth or any particular species of algae dominate. There's still some cyano here and there. I generally just let it be. Lots of little bits of macroalgae got into my tank from the IPSF order. Will be interesting to see if any of it takes off. The CUC would surely enjoy it.

I'll be introducing the aquacultured live rock this weekend most likely. The sponge die off appears to be over. I'll probably try and squeeze some in the display.

Also I got a new clam... hitchhiker from the Florida aquacultured rock I ordered. It's a decent sized one. It'd been living in a 5 gallon bucket since last Thursday. It endured a significant ammonia spike(from dying sponges), but is now in my tank and has been opening up ever so slightly. Hoping it hangs in there.

AM-JKLW2DxxraMpIdUGZo0YUo85IEmqZuAD-itf8We6RIPi_bjPdxh8rTTjj0jeuJ3yByZedqdQ8dhOec1UMlqWYy-QmZimSUCIjlG-YsX4Z6dVWM91eCT7Hnlxq0eeK0ufpzOV0TtnR-B530YyP50PRa2M4=w724-h1286-no

AM-JKLWewAgkNfxNq0-UTLFWLxiWJ9gecO-KvEQ8_mKCJ1WRfcUvPpld2EbkV3n-AvjyoK5xeqF_eYw_vAFca4FPppH1P0qNNL6g-65szpYeACclflQCPVcDfFTfflZV9iLqtVQza0DjDbX78e1cIvmQyjwX=w1718-h967-no

Reproducing Banded Trochus are getting close to infestation levels. They are growing very fast! Started with 4. I think I easily have 100. Not the worst problem to have, but I'm gonna have to unload some to a LFS soon. These are a cluster of some of the "teenagers". Let me know if you need any, @SaltyT!

AM-JKLWdhkkcAvxHaajAfXYxqp9FTZSzZjDgkMXepYiCMzy_ljb9Sk1JEtvpXRqxXvpmshqEO5a9rBm5tkXmqPIIfdeKTU3VW4w9w11lrn6J5nKXAd-jmOCX7K0kgIa3tP8S17sEcR37yTV_iRWEwqQEXDJE=w1718-h967-no

And lastly, I got a Hydros X3 Starter kit. I had been waiting for this one to hit the market. It checks off all the boxes for me at a fair price.

Extra temp control redundancy behind my Ranco. X3 controls Ranco, Ranco controls two Eheims, Eheims control themselves with their own thermostats. Worlds will collide before I encounter a "stuck on" situation.

pH! I finally know what it is! I've been running a small, very simple, DIY CO2 reactor for a couple months now. Kinda dumb without reliably knowing pH, but I did it anyways. Well my logs so far show upwards of 8.3 during the day and 8.09 is the low so far after lights out. Obviously I'll need more than a days worth of logs to make better determinations, but a promising start.

The WIFI 4 outlet power strip. I can monitor and control the power of my ATO, Ranco, return pump, and skimmer. No more accidentally leaving the ATO unplugged for a whole day. One touch "feed mode" that will turn off all four of these. Timed skimmer shut offs for phyto dosing. So many options.

I have one extra sense port. I think I will opt to add a leak sensor. I've had a couple instances of accidental siphons.

AM-JKLXipdhOhfYwkZvE-kb7Wm4YXpMEObZkdXkVxrpZEGJzYMlBsRtHKe2e_cVIXiFhiX8SGB8LYne-HKdW5_NurWsfpbUdItpyuwTLi7FaFkKL0HTxnYlBB8hywZeqBrVp7ITALI6wjEXb-1Xe2l64kHrY=w610-h1286-no

Thanks for reading, folks!

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice equipment upgrades!

Stellar coral growth all around too! I'm not sure if mine are doing nearly as well and at your pace, but surely something to strive for!

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice equipment upgrades!

Stellar coral growth all around too! I'm not sure if mine are doing nearly as well and at your pace, but surely something to strive for!
Thanks! My next upgrade will be one of those timed lockout safe boxes to put all my credit cards in. :)

I think I have a few months on you. I really didn't see much accelerated growth until I was past month 4. From your last update, I got the impression your tank is at an awkward stage. Sounded like some coral are settling in/settled, while a few are still kicking and screaming about their new home. We both started our tanks similarly. Quick cycle with a rapid introduction of coral. I've lost some, nearly lost a lot, and still have a few that aren't 100% with the program hah. My best advice is to focus on keeping AFR dialed, test often, and practice good husbandry. The growth will come!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking fantastic!!

Yes, I'll take some of your extra trochus! Want to meet up at Seascape sometime? I'm there almost weekly lol

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking fantastic!!

Yes, I'll take some of your extra trochus! Want to meet up at Seascape sometime? I'm there almost weekly lol
Thank you!!

At any given time I can pretty easily grab 10 or more. That sound like a good amount?

Weekends are best for me. Seascape is my favorite store! I usually visit them around noon Saturday or Sunday.

Are you the one stocking them with frags? Every one I've bought from them is a hobbyist trade-in. It all settles in so quickly and has been pest free so far.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!

At any given time I can pretty easily grab 10 or more. That sound like a good amount?

Weekends are best for me. Seascape is my favorite store! I usually visit them around noon Saturday or Sunday.

Are you the one stocking them with frags? Every one I've bought from them is a hobbyist trade-in. It all settles in so quickly and has been pest free so far.
Sweet thanks! I'll take as many as you're willing to give.

The next two weekends aren't good for me, but the 1st weekend in November works. LOL no they're not getting frags from me, but I agree every frag I've gotten from them settles in nicely. Nick and Richie bring in stuff from their tanks occasionally. When Nick brings something in it's usually FIRE. I've never gotten a pest from Seascape, now Gateway that's another story....

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet thanks! I'll take as many as you're willing to give.

The next two weekends aren't good for me, but the 1st weekend in November works. LOL no they're not getting frags from me, but I agree every frag I've gotten from them settles in nicely. Nick and Richie bring in stuff from their tanks occasionally. When Nick brings something in it's usually FIRE. I've never gotten a pest from Seascape, now Gateway that's another story....
First weekend in November sound good! That'll give some of the babies more time to mature. I should be good for Saturday or Sunday around noon. Let me know. :)

I haven't gone anywhere other than Seascape or The Corner Reef in a while. Seascape is the closest to me. They seem to be the most knowledgeable and genuinely willing to help. They get in some quality frags, which keeps me coming back. Corner Reef does a great job stocking dry goods and has a good selection of frags too. I picked up a 2"+ piece of forest fire digi for $20 this weekend. It was in the unmarked $$$ tank. Don't ask them how much it costs, make an offer! I actually had them frag off a piece for me.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First weekend in November sound good! That'll give some of the babies more time to mature. I should be good for Saturday or Sunday around noon. Let me know. :)

I haven't gone anywhere other than Seascape or The Corner Reef in a while. Seascape is the closest to me. They seem to be the most knowledgeable and genuinely willing to help. They get in some quality frags, which keeps me coming back. Corner Reef does a great job stocking dry goods and has a good selection of frags too. I picked up a 2"+ piece of forest fire digi for $20 this weekend. It was in the unmarked $$$ tank. Don't ask them how much it costs, make an offer! I actually had them frag off a piece for me.
Sounds like a plan!

Seascape is my favorite LFS. I used to go to the Corner Reef all the time when it was in Columbia, IL. I went once when they moved to So Co and wasn’t too impressed but it sounds like they’ve improved so I’ll check them out again.

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan!

Seascape is my favorite LFS. I used to go to the Corner Reef all the time when it was in Columbia, IL. I went once when they moved to So Co and wasn’t too impressed but it sounds like they’ve improved so I’ll check them out again.
They have a lot of frags. They're usually fairly clean, but I always dip and take them off the plug anyways. I would for sure give them another go!

Look forward to meeting you!

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female Pitho and didn't even know it! The big claws are the indicator. They must have grown in recently. I coaxed her out with some nori to get a better look. :)

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest parameters are....

PH - 8 to 8.3
ALK - 8.7
PO4 - .18
NO3 - 5-10

Made a connection with a local hobbyist and picked up some fancier acros today.

Toxic Slimer freebie, WWC Pink Passion, no name green w/ blue tips, RMF Acid Trip, SC Orange Passion

Here's to hoping they color up nicely and don't die! I'm not a fan of the frag rack in the tank, but I figured these deserved a slower introduction. Plus my CUC would mow them down in the sand.

AM-JKLVaZohPYFhVFVdq1c1qzn8nkKjjDBbQzsSOPJUsEgQKZTbhwN7o6AfW1YDNYUruO5tFiufSeZvNPXKQlsf1oPWxY_W21VroIH1VoIVu10NU6gUvdwdIlnmA8IK90hhjrRlnfEOfonFMK1tih1t4kRTb=w1718-h967-no

I discovered this little oasis of feather dusters on one of the aquacultured rocks I recently introduced. Little discoveries like this get me more excited than anything else in this hobby. This is a zoomed shot. That area is about the size of a quarter.

AM-JKLU442rSYGPpzcr_TNJPwSrNQycEC9FhBmr9MDRQ98e-2Xo86xJDnhS-wIv-Taqnf_l8rwAaJ5z7NPEpbuuB18UKIeeUn4nLSZK9M8J2uyss4yAtUiDJH6URQvGQ4liArwk0EzaBSE-AC3qv-v6a4CNu=w2288-h1287-no

My Lawnmower Blenny has made it his mission to harass my lone Turbo Snail. I'm finding the poor guy upside down on the sand quite often. Blenny has taken some bites at him in this exposed position. Turbo hasn't moved much and as of today I think it might be dead. :(

AM-JKLUalqMEccQkPjSJtRW7Po7tfnCQm_0mQnhm9k88LF5bHX1c95fyHi8OjOvS-V61LmZGNWXs8YJ8jBHcLD7GGp23kY-B5zjWCI2_Hm0q454igvYFzEmJkwvzMlA3kxyIwZINC8c-yu8P0LQJN-KfnRci=w1718-h967-no

My new Arca Zebra/Turkey Clam has decided it wants to be upside down. It's attached itself to the rock in this position. As much as I'd enjoy a better view, I'm just gonna let it do it's thing. But let's be real, the Lawnmower Blenny probably knocked it over.

Before
AM-JKLXp52HIKXvUD8SvrKCHaQSRNcWqqCxXSrSFzdUy1XKtgzeVkvEFUCIlqhH_Q9O5s_mMSnaLRcRHnleP2nX_M1SqqzBp20ENoYYRLB6fkxtGna0WeoO9Ig0QgQX77uURYndOUfaBfJDKAQT1wUa7EnvH=w1718-h967-no

After
AM-JKLUcZxIrvrBdA8S8JocPE2bhF4WRUEW2SY2ETChqmEIc82MIzBt02wdVy9y4r2N0Tr5TE3GfkYqC4qIrJuAMt0ZSc9HO6eNy17mSukyTSVbSQnmNd0p6mE-nnLBGRg00MxfdzDfZvVsRztwgEHnwyRwd=w1718-h967-no

And another Pitho update...

One of them is starting to decorate himself with soft coral. It is a decorator crab after all. I really don't care about the fraggings, but I am concerned about it being spread throughout the tank. I've isolated all my more pesty coral to islands for the most part, so this is a concern.

I would quicker remove the pesty coral than the Pithos. They've proven to be too valuable. Going to keep an eye out for these frags spreading. Hopefully they just die in the sand somewhere...
AM-JKLU5DMk6cnZPoMtdswFK9vW3VE1dSNATMxKOWeemh-wDLdKD3xnPiCMhEL635w2g-5-sJLkT83pKjjAQMbBnP02jBgQ7rcoYv39GkRhMCq26tKLXGf3Goif6YML49Rxyw_v6IbCrh8pAvDmq9_oCNhd-=w2288-h1287-no

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving the SC orange passion! It has great color and is encrusting very nicely on the plug.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back