Jim00's Raspberry Pi build tutorial with reef-pi

Pinback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for outlining this.

i am strongly considering using the ReefPi as well and your build and documentation is appreciated.

i have two black box LED lights with dimmers, but no WIFI function. i would like to "hack" into the dimmers with the relays and do a WIFI connected controller of the LED light with the REEFPI. anyone know if that is possible?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i am strongly considering using the ReefPi as well and your build and documentation is appreciated.

i have two black box LED lights with dimmers, but no WIFI function. i would like to "hack" into the dimmers with the relays and do a WIFI connected controller of the LED light with the REEFPI. anyone know if that is possible?
Hey, Pinback! Have you searched through, or posted on, the main Reef-Pi thread here at R2R? The project developer, Ranjib Dey, as well as other members are available to help with this kind of question. Good luck!
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...tank-controller-based-on-raspberry-pi.289256/

EDIT: And to the OP, great tutorial! Any further instructions? Thanks!

-FishFan

Nicolas Sabrun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check the reef-pi thread. I have 3 black boxes Mars aqua. I have them connected to the pi and I can control them with my phone. Turn on/off or dim on demand. Pretty neat

lotus02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you show how you did it I set up a breadboard the way it shows for kessil leds and its not working did the mod to the mars box light comes on full on. When i plug into the pi light fan drop to about 50% and will not change by the reefpi. But if I put the dimmer back on the 2 wires the light goes up or down when turn the knob

OP
OP
daytonajim00

daytonajim00

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lotus02, did you have any luck? I use mine for variohs timers according to a custom schedule.

I have not updated the wiring examples yet but still plan to.

Setting up fan speeds and light dimming seems more in depth than what I did but like I've come to find: virrually any automation is possible with the right hardware and programming. Hope you can find the solutions.

lotus02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lotus02, did you have any luck? I use mine for variohs timers according to a custom schedule.

I have not updated the wiring examples yet but still plan to.

Setting up fan speeds and light dimming seems more in depth than what I did but like I've come to find: virrually any automation is possible with the right hardware and programming. Hope you can find the solutions.

yes I did pi was not seeing the pca9685 right had to reload it. dimmer working light. but my fan is dimming as well.(runs slower) working through that now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back