Jonesboro Monster Reef Trip from March 2011 - Details from the discussion at the January Meeting

TechDiver

Algae Grower
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a breakdown from our main host in Jonesboro. I was wrong as the smallest tanks were 240.

The following is a breakdown of the systems' total volumes as tank plus sump.

Tim = 1200 (730 display + sump & prop tanks)
Doc's = 365 (240+125g sump)
Carl's = 365 (240+125g sump)
Dentist = 1050 (980+70g sump)
Engines = 355 (300+55g sump)
House remodel = 1100 (685 display + sump & prop tanks)

Every system has extensive CL's, dedicated electrical circuits, isolated environmental controls, and full automation. 3 of us have auto-switching generators built into the electrical systems.

-Tim

Here are a few pics from Tim:
mini-DSC_0031.JPG

mini-DSC_0032.JPG

mini-DSC_0037.JPG

OP
OP
T

TechDiver

Algae Grower
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the one from the house that was being built. (10' x 3' x 3' ) Tim's display tank is even bigger than this.
mini-DSC_0020.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TechDiver

Algae Grower
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some info and photos from my family and I stopped by while visiting some family. Keep in mind that this was a write up to see if there was interest for a March 2011 trip.

2010 Reef Trip

I took a trip to Arkansas to visit family for the New Year weekend. We made a stop on our way through Jonesboro on Friday. I received an invitation to the home of Tim Greene who has a monster reef tank, and I took him up on the offer. I know we have members with 240 gallon tanks which some consider monster tanks, but we are talking a little larger than that. When you walk through his door, you are flanked by a 730 gallon in wall display reef tank. Taking a tour behind the tank reveals loads of equipment running this beast.

Tim and his wife were happy to have our family visit with them. The women talked about the expensive habits of their husbands while we discussed reef tanks, scuba gear, and RC helicopters. Carl Wilson and his son are the RC guys and Tim is into scuba. Casey is a member of the local club there and was the one responsible for setting up this meeting. Thanks, Casey. I enjoyed talking to all you guys, and I sure others in the area would have fun taking a trip there later on.

Tim Greene runs NEA Reef Concepts. He designs and maintains large commercial and residential tanks. Here is a quick summary of his setup.

System Summary:

Display Tank: 730g
Total System: 1200g

Lights:
(5) 400w XM 20k
(4) 250w XM 20k
(6) 39w 420nm Actinic T5's
(4) Profilux Simu-L LED sticks used to simulate Thunderstorms with Lightening.

Closed Loops: (2) Reeflo Hammerhead's which are controlled by the Profilux-III to simulate tidal flow in concert with the timing of the lights.

Power: 100amp sub-panel, backed up by a 20k Generac with a 5-second transfer switch which is further backed up by a computer battery to bridge the gap for the Profilux, lights and pumps.

Skimmer: Octopus FDNW-400

Water Sterilization: 120w Aqua-UV and 300mg/L O3

Live Rock: 900 pounds

Chiller: 1.5hp, 220v JBJ commercial chiller

Reactors: Kalk, Ca, and Carbon

OP
OP
T

TechDiver

Algae Grower
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears I ran into a few obstacles after going through the photos I took of this reef setup. First, I have never had to shoot through so much water due to tank depth. Secondly, all those halides put out some serious glare off the live rock, so it blew some of the photos out. Here are some that turned out ok.

IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3671.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3653.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

OP
OP
T

TechDiver

Algae Grower
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not forget about the other inhabitants of the reef. Here are some of them anyway.

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3689.jpg

Hey, bud! You lookin' at me?? At least I think that was what he was thinking.
IMG_3690.jpg

OP
OP
T

TechDiver

Algae Grower
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

I realize I didn't get the best angles for shots, but I didn't want to just crawl all over everything to get a better view.

There are rails on this end that hold all of the ballasts for the halides. I'm sure it gets warm over there.

IMG_3707.jpg

This is the separate 100 amp circuit for the reef room.

IMG_3722.jpg

After completing his reef setup / home remodel, he still had enough room for his motorcycle in the garage. The reef takes up the left side. The chiller is on the bottom left.

IMG_3721.jpg

OP
OP
T

TechDiver

Algae Grower
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot the camera when I went in to visit family and to tour all the other tanks with the club in March. I didn't even have a phone that could take nice photos at that time. A couple of club members took a few photos of reef setups there, so we may see more photos later.

nanodoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hearing it was amazing, but seeing it is mindblowing!
A lot of thought went in designing it. However, some of the corals look like frags. Either it is brand new and not established yet and/or they have a lot of patience
Keep pics coming!

Mr.BAdams

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This setup is mind blowing! I cant even begin to put together a price tag on this. Did he by any chance tell?

nanodoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TechD, this is the BFT tank snakeman and me were referring to during the meeting. I can't find the build thread to this one, but the glass production alone was impressive
Pieter6mOHC - YouTube

teddy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are amazing.. i would love love love to have a few large tanks like that but would def need the help team lol

Cruezn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very, very cool. Now I know what I'm gonna do if I hit the lottery. Forget the Ferrari, I want one of those!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 68 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back