OP
OP
jourdy

jourdy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tcoyle Yes I am considering new Radions (when are the new models coming out?) However I am also interested in getting T5s for better SPS colors (or so I've been told). Also, it seems those with newer models of Radions who copy my schedule are not getting the same results as me. I think the newer Radions are way more powerful than the ones I have. My friend had to turn down the Radions by 70% (from 100 to 30) in order to stop corals from bleaching.

@OVER9K_REEF Yes I am really considering that. That or the new Radions!
However the problem with ATI is that they're not available here where I live. :( Maybe I should have multiple tanks, some with Radions and some with ATI! Maybe I could influence more reefers here to get them! I was one of the first people here who got the Radions and a LOT of people followed suit.

@hatfielj I used to use NSW, but now I use Aquavitro or Reef Crystals. NSW is too erratic in terms of water quality. Sometimes clean, sometimes very dirty! And sometimes just 1.015 sg lol!

@ifarmer Haha. iPhone photos? Sorry bud, I am using a real camera. Problem with chinese LEDs is that some are just too unreliable. My office tank had Chinese LEDs and the bulbs just start getting broken one by one.

ZoaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However I am also interested in getting T5s for better SPS colors (or so I've been told)

???
Whatever you're currently doing has all your coral giving the best colors, bar none, compared to any tank in the whole wide world!
How could it get any better than it already is?
Every time I look at your pics, I fear I will go blind!
Your pictures have single-handedly caused more zoa sales than any other factor, are world famous, and have no equal.

Everyone is jealous (extremely) of the colors your tanks have had!
We are always wondering what your secret is, not only are your zoas the most colorful on planet Earth, but your SPS are the most vivid, bright, and strong in color of any I've ever seen.

Can you elaborate on the results of you changing your light scheme in the last year? Your pictures seem to tell a good story, but it's already so good, I can't tell any difference.

Thanks for your inspiring tank!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man so glad to have you back posting an update! AMAZING!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update!

Haven't paid attention to my tank since October. Been busy with work and some other activities. I changed my rightmost rock a month ago I think - to make it higher.

I visited Blue Harbor in Japan just recently! Will post pictures of that trip on a separate post.

I have a runaway RBTA that escaped from a betta box (friend was asking me to take care of it for him) but the betta box fell. It landed right smack in the center of one of my rocks, and it's starting to sting the neighbors there. Haha.

Anyway, I finally got to really look at my tank for the first time in 2 months or so. The reason for that is - the cable company came to my house earlier today to take videos of my tank. They *might* broadcast it in the Aquarium Channel.

Bad things that have happened in the 2 months I haven't checked on my tank:

1. The doser was turned off! Yikes. Apparently my BM doser was stuck on the menu and it wasn't dosing for weeks! Luckily I haven't seen any major disasters except for some zoas which are only slightly open. Should recover in a few weeks.

2. I lost a couple of fish during a power outage while I was abroad.

3. My sump is dirty AF.

4. My tank is filled with coralline. Side walls are completely covered. I just scraped off all the coralline a few months ago!

5. My Radion has started acting up - the fans are very noisy.

6. My RBTAs (2 of them) are stinging the neighboring corals!

Good/Acceptable things
that have happened in the 2 months I haven't checked on my tank:

1. The SPS are growing like crazy. In fact, most of them are already touching each other and stinging.

2. My sandbed has become cleaner for some reason! It is really clean except for a spot here and there.

3. The fishes are still alive despite being fed erratically. Sometimes just twice a week.

While the cable guys were shooting their video, I took a few snapshots. They covered the back glass with black cloth, so I took the opportunity to see what my tank would look like with black background. Also, they added some extra spotlights towards the tank, which illuminated the tank itself a bit more.:

jedjNjJ.jpg

@mdbannister

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few more pictures:

jlKTpU4.jpg

This guy has quintupled in size since I got it.
P7ygfTz.jpg

While this one quadrupled
Al3GbxJ.jpg

Clams - I can't decide which is nicer.. What do you guys think?
TxBTVbn.jpg

h6V6PxQ.jpg

SSC a bit on the dark end. I love the colors just the same.
FusPY3Q.jpg

6Q6SeQe.jpg

One of my favorite corals.
KOkaRKK.jpg

These guys are lined up at the back glass. They've crept from the bottom all the way up!
yUH53Eh.jpg

GEEZ!! Killin' it with these pics!!! Beautiful!!

rboutin111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see this tank with T-5s. I just switch from Radion Gen 2 to ATI T-5's and couldn't be happier. It's only been about a month so I'm still waiting to see how the growth is, but I have noticed better color already.

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tcoyle Yes I am considering new Radions (when are the new models coming out?) However I am also interested in getting T5s for better SPS colors (or so I've been told). Also, it seems those with newer models of Radions who copy my schedule are not getting the same results as me. I think the newer Radions are way more powerful than the ones I have. My friend had to turn down the Radions by 70% (from 100 to 30) in order to stop corals from bleaching.

Don't know on the new models, but I'm sure they will be coming out with something soon. I am running Kessil 360W on my tank and am going to add the T5's like you for the same reason. Your colors look pretty stunning now though!

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing Jourdy!
Gotta say amazing as it is with sps, I prefer a tank full of zoas. Lol
You are and Josh are an inspiration to many.
I just wish I could get the growth, color and health that you get.

OP
OP
jourdy

jourdy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
???
Whatever you're currently doing has all your coral giving the best colors, bar none, compared to any tank in the whole wide world!
How could it get any better than it already is?
Every time I look at your pics, I fear I will go blind!
Your pictures have single-handedly caused more zoa sales than any other factor, are world famous, and have no equal.

Everyone is jealous (extremely) of the colors your tanks have had!
We are always wondering what your secret is, not only are your zoas the most colorful on planet Earth, but your SPS are the most vivid, bright, and strong in color of any I've ever seen.

Can you elaborate on the results of you changing your light scheme in the last year? Your pictures seem to tell a good story, but it's already so good, I can't tell any difference.

Thanks for your inspiring tank!

@ZoaReefer

Thanks for the weighty compliments!
There are a lot of tanks better than mine, those European SPS tanks always have me drooling. Also, my tank is less than a quarter the grandeur of Chingchai's! Haha, but thanks!
The LEDs provide a lot of luminosity, very surreal colors compared to T5s.. which is why if I change to T5s, the colors will definitely be toned down a notch.

However, some SPS don't retain their colors.. and I just let them be. For example, pink birdsnest cannot seem to remain pink under my Radions. I still love my birdsnest though and the growth has been really fantastic. But I want to see if I can keep it pink under T5s.. Haha. I am willing to sacrifice the "neon-ish" color for a toned down version under T5s as long as they remain their natural colors. I hope I made sense!

The secret is - just take pictures of the nice corals! Lol. I don't take pictures of the ones that aren't as nice or those who have dulled a bit due to neglect or changing colors (wild caught corals ALWAYS change colors in my tank after a month or so.) I changed my schedule last time because I lost my previous schedule for my Radions.. and the Ecotech platform has corrupted my current save file at the time.. So I had to gauge the lights again. under my Radion Gen1s (2011 model), the SPS did not respond well to just a little white.. while the zoas seemed to thrive. In the end I reverted back to having very high whites during my peak hours to make the SPS more colorful/happy. I still have a section of SPS who are not as colorful as the others (same kind of SPS, just different placement). I think my Radion set on that section there is becoming weaker.

Man so glad to have you back posting an update! AMAZING!

I would love to see this tank with T-5s. I just switch from Radion Gen 2 to ATI T-5's and couldn't be happier. It's only been about a month so I'm still waiting to see how the growth is, but I have noticed better color already.

Yeah which is why I want to try T5s. At this point, it's the curiosity that's killing me. Haha.
I want to experience T5s. But I also want to retain the Radions.

This is a beautifully colorful tank. Something to strive for definitely.

Thank you!

Don't know on the new models, but I'm sure they will be coming out with something soon. I am running Kessil 360W on my tank and am going to add the T5's like you for the same reason. Your colors look pretty stunning now though!

I'll be moving residences pretty soon, and the choice between Radions or T5 is the hardest! I am seriously considering putting up 2 tanks because of it!

Amazing Jourdy!
Gotta say amazing as it is with sps, I prefer a tank full of zoas. Lol
You are and Josh are an inspiration to many.
I just wish I could get the growth, color and health that you get.

Thanks! I usually change preference zoas to SPS and SPS to zoas. I think the flavor of the month usually goes to which coral respond the most in terms of growth and coloration.
Josh has WAYYYY WAYYYYY more zoas than me.

Which reminds me, I need a better frag tank! Haha. My current frag tank is so hard to clean and it has been pretty much neglected for over half a year already. Seriously. Haha.

OVER9K_REEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right, you don't have that much selection in your area, do they not ship out there? probably really expensive, but the radions have been working for you great so I say what isn't broken don't fix.

Dan1789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone share this lighting schedule. The previous links are not working in Ecosmart Live. Even a screen shot of the graph would work. Jourdy, your corals are amazing, I need to try out this schedule.

Bokevince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, pm me and give me your email, i ll send you jourdy schedule ( i hope it s ok for you jourdy(?))

aquaterra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you don't mind jourdy, but I'm posting your schedule's apex code. I'm running a gen2 pro over a biocube with rms mount. Anybody have input about what to do with UV? I just kept it 50% for all...should I max it out? Also, because my tank is small the intensities are 1/5 of jourdys values. Just multiply by 5 for his intensities. Any thoughts on mine...should I up my intensity past 20%?

tdata 11:00:00,0,0,0,0,0,0,100,50,100,0,0,0,0
tdata 11:15:00,0,0,6,0,0,100,100,50,0,0,0,0,0
tdata 11:30:00,0,0,14,0,0,100,100,50,0,0,0,0,0
tdata 12:00:00,0,0,14,100,0,100,100,50,0,0,0,0,0
tdata 13:00:00,0,0,20,100,0,100,100,50,15,0,0,0,0
tdata 14:00:00,0,0,20,100,85,100,100,50,85,0,0,0,0
tdata 17:00:00,0,0,20,100,85,100,100,50,85,0,0,0,0
tdata 18:30:00,0,0,20,38,18,100,100,50,38,0,0,0,0
tdata 19:00:00,0,0,20,100,0,100,100,50,0,0,0,0,0
tdata 20:30:00,0,0,20,50,0,100,100,50,0,0,0,0,0
tdata 21:30:00,0,0,20,30,0,100,100,50,0,0,0,0,0
tdata 22:00:00,0,0,10,100,0,100,100,50,0,0,0,0,0
tdata 22:30:00,0,0,10,0,0,0,100,50,0,0,0,0,0
tdata 23:00:00,0,0,0,0,0,0,100,0,100,0,0,0,0

OP
OP
jourdy

jourdy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose Alk and Calcium, that's all.
As of this moment, I have not seen my tank for 2 weeks! (got married last week)
Things are not yet sorted

Living in a different house, so it's safe to say I'll be seeing my tank less and less. I think I've ran out of alk and calcium! Not even sure if my fishes are still alive haha.

Anyway, here's a picture of our wedding cake! 100% edible. Even the corals.
Waiting for photographer's photos.

ILLIbm9.jpg

OP
OP
jourdy

jourdy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be making a lot of new tanks.
For the office and new house.. haha. So things are not yet sorted out because schedules keep being pushed. Lots of delays everywhere!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back