OP
jourdy

jourdy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Haven't paid attention to my tank since October. Been busy with work and some other activities. I changed my rightmost rock a month ago I think - to make it higher.

I visited Blue Harbor in Japan just recently! Will post pictures of that trip on a separate post.

I have a runaway RBTA that escaped from a betta box (friend was asking me to take care of it for him) but the betta box fell. It landed right smack in the center of one of my rocks, and it's starting to sting the neighbors there. Haha.

Anyway, I finally got to really look at my tank for the first time in 2 months or so. The reason for that is - the cable company came to my house earlier today to take videos of my tank. They *might* broadcast it in the Aquarium Channel.

Bad things that have happened in the 2 months I haven't checked on my tank:

1. The doser was turned off! Yikes. Apparently my BM doser was stuck on the menu and it wasn't dosing for weeks! Luckily I haven't seen any major disasters except for some zoas which are only slightly open. Should recover in a few weeks.

2. I lost a couple of fish during a power outage while I was abroad.

3. My sump is dirty AF.

4. My tank is filled with coralline. Side walls are completely covered. I just scraped off all the coralline a few months ago!

5. My Radion has started acting up - the fans are very noisy.

6. My RBTAs (2 of them) are stinging the neighboring corals!

Good/Acceptable things
that have happened in the 2 months I haven't checked on my tank:

1. The SPS are growing like crazy. In fact, most of them are already touching each other and stinging.

2. My sandbed has become cleaner for some reason! It is really clean except for a spot here and there.

3. The fishes are still alive despite being fed erratically. Sometimes just twice a week.

While the cable guys were shooting their video, I took a few snapshots. They covered the back glass with black cloth, so I took the opportunity to see what my tank would look like with black background. Also, they added some extra spotlights towards the tank, which illuminated the tank itself a bit more.:

jedjNjJ.jpg

OP
OP
jourdy

jourdy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more pictures:

jlKTpU4.jpg

This guy has quintupled in size since I got it.
P7ygfTz.jpg

While this one quadrupled
Al3GbxJ.jpg

Clams - I can't decide which is nicer.. What do you guys think?
TxBTVbn.jpg

h6V6PxQ.jpg

SSC a bit on the dark end. I love the colors just the same.
FusPY3Q.jpg

6Q6SeQe.jpg

One of my favorite corals.
KOkaRKK.jpg

These guys are lined up at the back glass. They've crept from the bottom all the way up!
yUH53Eh.jpg

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank's looking great! IMO the first clam is nicer, love the speckled pattern

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, that is amazing. Are you sure you did not pay attention to it for 2 months?

OP
OP
jourdy

jourdy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't tested my parameters in months... At this point I'm afraid to know the results because I'm sure they are messed up! Haha!

When I get home this week, I will need to test PO4, Alk, and Calcium. I am pretty sure those are out of sync.
The pictures of course highlights only the nicer ones still.. but there are some zoas that are only half open. In fact, there are some closed zoas in the FTS, you could see them up front. Haha. They should recover quickly though.

For SPS, some are really doing well. Colors very vibrant. But I noticed a section of my tank with SPS that is not as vivid as the others. I think the Radion there is getting weaker. Will probably need to upgrade lights soon as I am still using Gen 1 Radions.

Any suggestions for lights?

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you I would keep with Radions as you have had such great success with them. Maybe just get the newer generation. Amazing looking tank! I don't know how you keep it looking that good while your out of town.

OVER9K_REEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't tested my parameters in months... At this point I'm afraid to know the results because I'm sure they are messed up! Haha!

When I get home this week, I will need to test PO4, Alk, and Calcium. I am pretty sure those are out of sync.
The pictures of course highlights only the nicer ones still.. but there are some zoas that are only half open. In fact, there are some closed zoas in the FTS, you could see them up front. Haha. They should recover quickly though.

For SPS, some are really doing well. Colors very vibrant. But I noticed a section of my tank with SPS that is not as vivid as the others. I think the Radion there is getting weaker. Will probably need to upgrade lights soon as I am still using Gen 1 Radions.

Any suggestions for lights?

oh okay, isn't to bad for not paying attention to the tank in months lol

as for lights I'm a T5 guy haven't had much experience with LEDs if it was up to me I would go a 8 bulb ATI T5 fixture they have hybrids now that have LEDs. Just my choice lol

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I remember, you do water changes with ocean water, correct? How often and how much? There has to be some benefit from being able to do this.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice iphone pictures.
wish my galaxy S3 mini can give me some nice pictures like that.

As for lightning suggestions. a couple of ebay's Chinese LED are nice and affordable and that is what I would do.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back