Jourdy's 90 Gallon Mixed Reef

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by jourdy, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jourdy

jourdy Active Member Photo of the Month Award

Hi everyone! New to this forum.
    Wanted to share my tank with all of you.

A quick background:

I started back in 2001, joining a forum called ReefAquariumGuide (RAG). Not sure if that site still runs, but my interest in reefing culminated from there. During that time, there were very little material available on the internet for the hobby, and I got flamed a lot for my poor reefing choices. Haha. My tank did not last very long - I was ill equipped and the summers in my country (Philippines) run to 38 degrees! There were no chillers available at that time, and the only lights I could get my hands on were fluorescent lights. No skimmers yet as well! LFS had poor husbandry for livestocks. Basically I started with the worst possible chance in the hobby.

In 2004, I joined Rc and that was when I started having moderate success. Tank thrived, but obviously not as nice as I had hoped and compared to others. There were no chillers/skimmers/lights to be found still, but at least I kept things alive! In 2006 (or 2005), a local club formed and there was a guy who started bringing in equipment from the USA. I was a fresh graduate then, and started with a cheap nano that i kept for years! In 2010 I decided to join ReefCentral's nano tank of the month contest for fun; really surprised to have won! Ever since then, I started upgrading my tanks. It seemed like I was upgrading every year or so.. I have had experience with 20 gallons, 30 gallons, 55 gallons, to 67 gallons, and now up to my current 90 gallons (4x2x1.5 ft). I am actually planning on upgrading again next year when I move to a new home. Seems like you just don't ever get contented once you get to taste this hobby :)

My current equipment are as follows:
    2 Ecotech Radion Gen 2
    2 Ecotech MP40
    Reef Octopus XP2000 Cone Skimmer
    TECO TR20 Chiller

Here are some pictures of my tank. Please bear with me as I try to take newer and better pictures. I am currently away from home for a week.
    My only lens is a 55mm Zeiss fixed lens, and thus taking pictures is a bit more difficult without the flexibility. I am hoping to get a more suitable lens for reefing soon.

Also, sorry for the small pictures. Will update to bigger pictures once I learn how. I am currently using IMGUR and the default images are too big that it stretches the whole page. Had to choose thumbnails but they turn out a bit small and quite hard to see things clearly.

This is the only FTS I have on my computer as of the moment. Filled with micro bubbles as the return pump has just been turned on.

[​IMG]

Overhead shot
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zoas are my first love, and that's why you will see most of my corals are zoas.
    They all started as small frags (ranging from 1-4 polyps), and they have grown in my tank like mad over the past few years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Favia and Acan
    [​IMG]

I just started keeping SPS about 6 months ago. I just tried it to check if I could keep them. I am always away from home, so I couldn't keep a closer eye on them. So far, so good.
    Wildcaught SPS are still difficult though. I am having difficulties in retaining their wild color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a triggerfish given to me a few months ago when my friend dismantled his tank.
    [​IMG]

Will post more pictures soon!

My tank is always changing. I keep moving things around, so my tank looks different often haha. I have some close friends who I share frags with (we sometimes take turns taking care of something) and there are plenty times when my tank has been like an evacuation home/hospital tank for my friends' corals.

The best thing I like about my tank is how maintenance-free it is. Like I said, I am barely home most of the week - I am thankful that my tank is alive and well. I don't dose anything, and I forget the last time I checked my parameters. All I know is having old and mature live rocks help a lot! Also biopellets which I use!

Thanks for viewing! I am open to all comments and criticisms.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
    Tags:

2. 9balliw

9balliw Active Member

Great looking tank! Love the bright red flowerpot. Great top down shot!

jack5746 and BigMike81 like this.
  3. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Cyber Monday Sponsor

Oh my LAWD! I love this beauty!! Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated!

Mschoolman, jack5746 and BigMike81 like this.
  4. jesterisdead

jesterisdead Member

This is what I hope my 220 becomes in a few years. I love the colors.

5. Aqua fire/medic

Aqua fire/medic Valuable Member

Wow.... And then some!

jack5746 likes this.
  6. reefwatcher

reefwatcher Well-Known Member

That's sexy vibrant and colorful all in one.

jack5746 likes this.
  7. ReeferEric

ReeferEric Resident Reef Junky R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Partner Member

Very nice, great photography.

BigMike81 likes this.
  8. PmRg

PmRg Active Member

LOVE IT. Wow.

Very nice !

9. dwilliams87

dwilliams87 Valuable Member

Absolutely Stunning. What is your dosing/maintenance regiment?

10. stylaster

stylaster Reefer since '90 R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Very nice being in the phillipines can you go out and collect what ever coral / fish you want for your tank?

11. jcollinsks

jcollinsks Member

I have a guess, you are a graphic designer? The way those colors go together is amazing, I want you to plan out my corals LOL or just sell/give me your tank!

12. Desert Orchid

Desert Orchid Member

Gorgeous Tank!! Those zoas are just beautiful!!

jack5746 likes this.
  13. YHSublime

YHSublime Reefopotamus R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I am completely blown away by this tank. From your aquascape, to your choice in colors blending together as mentioned above. Zoas are also my first love, but my tank does not reflect it like yours does! This is a heck of a second post on your half, thanks for sharing on this end of the world!

14. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Cyber Monday Sponsor

Now my tank will always be sub par! LOL!

15. Singlefin

Singlefin Valuable Member R2R Excellence Award

Very very nice. Great colors. Looks well put together.

16. joekool

joekool Mixed Reefer Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Looks great!

17. SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper Where's the mysis? Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor

Stunning tank!! Keep the pics coming!! :)

18. The Flying Turkey

The Flying Turkey Active Member

WOW! 'nuff said.

19. fishroomlady

fishroomlady Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I'll just echo everyone else....beautiful!

20. salmonshutters

salmonshutters Active Member

One day I dream to have a tank as nice as yours!

Draft saved Draft deleted