OP
OP
jourdy

jourdy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added mostly LPS corals and concentrated on the deep end of the dropoff first because it's such a pain to fix. Makes me regret going for 36" deep instead of just 30" - however seeing the fishes swim up and down makes it worthwhile.

Does anyone know how to add videos? Or should it be uploaded via youtube first?
VMUIDw1.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upload to youtube and share the link.

The drop looks great. But soon you are running ut of real estate for more corals... ;)

OP
OP
jourdy

jourdy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! You're definitely doing something right!
Thanks! The most important thing IMO for any reefer is to know how the corals are reacting to changes. As long as we can monitor the tank and see how the corals are doing, the hobby becomes much easier.

OP
OP
jourdy

jourdy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel about the coral colors since changing the lights? Did you prefer the Gen 2 Radions over your current setup?
I don't see any difference since changing lights to be honest, until I tried T5s. Those are just a different league compared to LEDs.. for SPS. The SPS are nicely colored unlike some SPS in LEDs which are only colorful/nice under very blue LEDs. You know them - you see them all over the internet :)

I liked the gen 2 Radion but gen 3 was such a disaster for me. I also tried gen 4 but it was too expensive (here in the Philippines) and warranty is such a pain that I decided to go for Maxspect. Could not be happier - corals seem to be the same, fixtures are better looking, and cheaper. What I liked about the Radions is the fact that it is easy to research on - because a lot of English speaking reefers use it. For Maxspect, I see a lot of beautiful tanks too as inspiration but mostly I see dialects written in Chinese or Indonesian, which I can't understand.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just fired up a larger drop off tank and did not acquire rock and had something different in mind. This layout is interesting and has me thinking a new plan

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all,

does anyone have Jourdys setting? i just cant seem to get zoas growing with the radions, they grew like weeds when i had Hydra 52 lights

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@jourdy, any updates? This is one of my favorite reefs to follow! I'm in withdrawal!

Bokevince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all,

does anyone have Jourdys setting? i just cant seem to get zoas growing with the radions, they grew like weeds when i had Hydra 52 lights

I have it but it's the etg file for radion gen 1
pm me your email if you want

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! New to this forum.
Wanted to share my tank with all of you.

A quick background:

I started back in 2001, joining a forum called ReefAquariumGuide (RAG). Not sure if that site still runs, but my interest in reefing culminated from there. During that time, there were very little material available on the internet for the hobby, and I got flamed a lot for my poor reefing choices. Haha. My tank did not last very long - I was ill equipped and the summers in my country (Philippines) run to 38 degrees! There were no chillers available at that time, and the only lights I could get my hands on were fluorescent lights. No skimmers yet as well! LFS had poor husbandry for livestocks. Basically I started with the worst possible chance in the hobby.

In 2004, I joined Rc and that was when I started having moderate success. Tank thrived, but obviously not as nice as I had hoped and compared to others. There were no chillers/skimmers/lights to be found still, but at least I kept things alive! In 2006 (or 2005), a local club formed and there was a guy who started bringing in equipment from the USA. I was a fresh graduate then, and started with a cheap nano that i kept for years! In 2010 I decided to join ReefCentral's nano tank of the month contest for fun; really surprised to have won! Ever since then, I started upgrading my tanks. It seemed like I was upgrading every year or so.. I have had experience with 20 gallons, 30 gallons, 55 gallons, to 67 gallons, and now up to my current 90 gallons (4x2x1.5 ft). I am actually planning on upgrading again next year when I move to a new home. Seems like you just don't ever get contented once you get to taste this hobby :)

My current equipment are as follows:
2 Ecotech Radion Gen 2
2 Ecotech MP40
Reef Octopus XP2000 Cone Skimmer
TECO TR20 Chiller

Here are some pictures of my tank. Please bear with me as I try to take newer and better pictures. I am currently away from home for a week.
My only lens is a 55mm Zeiss fixed lens, and thus taking pictures is a bit more difficult without the flexibility. I am hoping to get a more suitable lens for reefing soon.

Also, sorry for the small pictures. Will update to bigger pictures once I learn how. I am currently using IMGUR and the default images are too big that it stretches the whole page. Had to choose thumbnails but they turn out a bit small and quite hard to see things clearly.

This is the only FTS I have on my computer as of the moment. Filled with micro bubbles as the return pump has just been turned on.

BJSWvnml.jpg

Overhead shot
HcwROeSl.jpg

1780930_654031687967315_800470553_o_zpsea77913f.jpg

Zoas are my first love, and that's why you will see most of my corals are zoas.
They all started as small frags (ranging from 1-4 polyps), and they have grown in my tank like mad over the past few years.

D6xKg8Yl.jpg

HLlAHRgl.jpg

c0P5CqJl.jpg

Favia and Acan
RO02VTjl.jpg

I just started keeping SPS about 6 months ago. I just tried it to check if I could keep them. I am always away from home, so I couldn't keep a closer eye on them. So far, so good.
Wildcaught SPS are still difficult though. I am having difficulties in retaining their wild color.

wNNo5BAl.jpg

BnhCXAsl.jpg

This is a triggerfish given to me a few months ago when my friend dismantled his tank.
s4uvSGZl.jpg

Will post more pictures soon!

My tank is always changing. I keep moving things around, so my tank looks different often haha. I have some close friends who I share frags with (we sometimes take turns taking care of something) and there are plenty times when my tank has been like an evacuation home/hospital tank for my friends' corals.

The best thing I like about my tank is how maintenance-free it is. Like I said, I am barely home most of the week - I am thankful that my tank is alive and well. I don't dose anything, and I forget the last time I checked my parameters. All I know is having old and mature live rocks help a lot! Also biopellets which I use!

Thanks for viewing! I am open to all comments and criticisms.
Congrats man. Beautiful tank! I love your zoo "flower garden!"

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back