Judging interest, fresh harvested seaweed from nova scotia.

Would you be interested

• Yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant get over the price some places charge for dry seaweed esp when they seperate the different colours and sell them all in different packages. I already dry seaweed for personal use and I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in buying some for (estimated price) around 5 dollars canadian a kg for a dry multi species (at least 6 species red brown and green) mix. I dry right after harvest and would ship only freshly dried seaweed. I would be starting late next spring depending on interest. If I'm allowed to ship dry packaged seaweed to the states I will but I have to check out the customs laws first. If your interested let me know!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I’m in the states but if you’re able to ship down here, I’m interested. Seems like a great way to help another hobbyist out and stockpile for my foxface and the tangs in my future

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i see a pic of the dried seeweed? Id buy it!

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i see a pic of the dried seeweed? Id buy it!
If I get out one more time I'll take some pics, if it gets any colder I'll have to wait until spring to take any pictures. I like drying it right on the beach and it's getting a little cold/cloudy to do so round these parts. The main species are dulse kelp and sea lettuce.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any sanitizing that would need to be done? Not sure how the retail stuff is processed
I emailed us customs with some questions on the subject and I'm awaiting their response. As far as parasites go its from cold water so you don't have to worry about common reef pests and fish pathogens because its harvested from much colder water than our reefs. I would have to package it not for human consumption more than likely but I personally eat it all the time with no real sanitizing just a rinse in seawater.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't gotten a response from U.S customs, does anyone happen to know anything about the import laws on dried seaweed? I can't find anything about dried seaweed just regulations relating to terrestrial plant matter. From the looks of the regulations I believe its unregulated but I don't want to make assumptions.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back