Jumping in with both feet.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 17 year old is very interested in cuttlefish. He has researched them and can spout off facts about them left and right. Last year, thanks to a friend, we were lucky enough to be allowed into the cuttlefish breeding area behind the scenes at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. My son picked up some great information and made some great contacts.

He has been talking about raising cuttlefish for a good two years now and is well aware how hard it is. Though he is the driving force into this hobby, I am more of a poison dart frog/amphibian kind of person hah, I have decided to leap in with him so we can take this journey together. Our first step is to learn how to successfully keep a saltwater reef aquarium. Learn the ins and outs, the water changes, how much commitment this is going to be etc. If after a year or so of learning that and if he feels comfortable with moving forward he would try his hand at cuttlefish, raising eggs and going down that path.

We have decided, I think on a reefsystem 425xl to get us started. But after looking at a couple build threads and mixing stations and modifications and all that I am starting to panic a bit on this. Information overload and I already am getting analysis paralysis. We are trying to decide what is needed now and what we can set up later. RODI system into a trash can and just mix the water by hand and cart with buckets might be how we start. But then there is lights, and all the other stuff to think about and here we go again spiraling into information overload heh. In my day when I set up a tank full of african cichlids I just popped a fluval onto a million pound 60 gallon tank and put on the hood and called it good. Things sure have come a long way from that!

Anyway we are both excited to start this journey together and hopefully this wild ride doesnt turn into a car wreck hah. dang glad we foudn this site that is for sure.
welcome and good luck on your journey in reefing!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! I've always been fascinated by cuttlefish, I'd love to try raising them someday myself! That sounds so cool.
Hey, I keep herps too! I've got a 18" 18" 24" exo terra vivarium with 3 Dendrobates auratus (highland bronze), it's been fun for sure. I also keep some carnivorous plants, though that's a bit off-topic lol
Good luck and God bless!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back