Jumping in with both feet.

Toadpapa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 17 year old is very interested in cuttlefish. He has researched them and can spout off facts about them left and right. Last year, thanks to a friend, we were lucky enough to be allowed into the cuttlefish breeding area behind the scenes at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. My son picked up some great information and made some great contacts.

He has been talking about raising cuttlefish for a good two years now and is well aware how hard it is. Though he is the driving force into this hobby, I am more of a poison dart frog/amphibian kind of person hah, I have decided to leap in with him so we can take this journey together. Our first step is to learn how to successfully keep a saltwater reef aquarium. Learn the ins and outs, the water changes, how much commitment this is going to be etc. If after a year or so of learning that and if he feels comfortable with moving forward he would try his hand at cuttlefish, raising eggs and going down that path.

We have decided, I think on a reefsystem 425xl to get us started. But after looking at a couple build threads and mixing stations and modifications and all that I am starting to panic a bit on this. Information overload and I already am getting analysis paralysis. We are trying to decide what is needed now and what we can set up later. RODI system into a trash can and just mix the water by hand and cart with buckets might be how we start. But then there is lights, and all the other stuff to think about and here we go again spiraling into information overload heh. In my day when I set up a tank full of african cichlids I just popped a fluval onto a million pound 60 gallon tank and put on the hood and called it good. Things sure have come a long way from that!

Anyway we are both excited to start this journey together and hopefully this wild ride doesnt turn into a car wreck hah. dang glad we foudn this site that is for sure.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Clownfish.gif

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. You sound like you have a good plan and best of luck to you and your son!.

I've only raised a few cuttlefish/octopodes but I'm glad to hear that you are mastering the fundamentals of a reef system before moving on to the more technical species!

When the time comes, you might want to check out some of the historical posts on Reef Central under the Cephalopod forum. Some great resources there! While you're still mastering saltwater, this site is full of great resources and people!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef. One of our members just did a good write-up on cephalopods that you might find useful.

OP
OP
Toadpapa

Toadpapa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. You sound like you have a good plan and best of luck to you and your son!.

I've only raised a few cuttlefish/octopodes but I'm glad to hear that you are mastering the fundamentals of a reef system before moving on to the more technical species!

When the time comes, you might want to check out some of the historical posts on Reef Central under the Cephalopod forum. Some great resources there! While you're still mastering saltwater, this site is full of great resources and people!

We have read some of those historical posts on reef central. A little daunting there isnt or doesnt seem to be anything recent about raising cuttlefish, which tells us everyone who tries it eventually get tired of it or fail miserably or the people who are currently raising them dont really write any posts heh. Its definitely going to be an adventured.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have read some of those historical posts on reef central. A little daunting there isnt or doesnt seem to be anything recent about raising cuttlefish, which tells us everyone who tries it eventually get tired of it or fail miserably or the people who are currently raising them dont really write any posts heh. Its definitely going to be an adventured.
I haven't kept up with my cephalopod contacts to see if they are still keeping/rearing theirs, but I actually suspect it might have less to do with the animals and more to do with the global reduction in traffic/posts on that forum. Just my guess.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Looking forward to seeing your new Red Sea up and running! Start a few posts on questions, lots of folks here have answers. Hope we can help you build a successful reef!

giphy.gif

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back