Just a regular 1st saltwater tank

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I’ve done the same. You start putting corals in and begin to notice a dominant color, in my case green. Then I start avoiding green, not that I don’t like it, I just want a balance of colors. I’m always on the lookout for blue and yellow, harder to come by.
Same… lots of green

Now being more strategic in my purchases. Guess we’ve all done it

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday addition of a new rock with a hitchhiker a tailspot blenny (it was a hard way to come to the aquarium). I bought one a day before. It settles quite fast as it came with its cave. The initial one stays 2 days on back glasse and sleeping on the sand in a corner (it got bully by the dotty back and also by the clowns). 2 hours ago it found it's cave on opposite of the other. Today I rearrange the rocks and also tried to glue corals ( I am not good at it). One side is zoas garden and opposite will be the mushrooms garden. I keep 4 places for sps under the led for later (mid height of the tank). It feels more more empty now.

20240212_154550.jpg VideoCapture_20240212-155048.jpg 20240212_115719.jpg 20240212_115739.jpg 20240212_115747.jpg 20240212_115709.jpg 20240212_115633.jpg
Remi, everything is looking so good! I think you’re too hard on yourself.

If you want to see real messed up gluing/ placement of frags, go back and look at my thread again - lol.

OP
OP
Remi

Remi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So up to now no coral lose (fingers crossed) but also not too much growth. I will have to work on my parameters reduces phosphate and increases magnesium. I bought phosbond and red sea magnesium part c for these purposes. I will go slowly on them. I got also phytoplankton that I will try from tomorrow. Otherwise got 6 frags this week end, rainbow monti, digitata, grafted monti, season greeting monti, Jason fox sector 001 favia and an acan blue, purple and orange. I add 3 bumblebee snails.

20240225_155834.jpg

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Remi, I have been thinking about your tailspots. I'm wondering if it is at least somewhat working because one is very small? Just looking at what might work for me to try a second one too.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same… lots of green

Now being more strategic in my purchases. Guess we’ve all done it
Ya, I think green is the dominant color for corals. I like the look of the back wall of the tank covered in gsp but all my green corals would be lost in the backdrop of a green wall.

OP
OP
Remi

Remi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remi, I have been thinking about your tailspots. I'm wondering if it is at least somewhat working because one is very small? Just looking at what might work for me to try a second one too.
They have the same size but coming from 2 LFS. One submitted after maybe 2/3 days and still stay day time on the back glass. When the light off both stay on the rocks. Sometimes very close less than 2 inches sometimes opposite. I can spot feed the one of the back glass (so he doesn't starve been blocked on the glass) when the other one eats on rock or with the others fish. I bought some barnacles last week but as it is coming from US I will get it only beginning of march (hopefully not smashed) it is for the submitted so he can rest during the day. How long it would have been if they were fighting until one die? (Day, week?)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't answer really, but I would think within 2 weeks probably. Never seen anyone with 2 before.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An up to date pics. It is 6:25pm so lights are nearly off.
They seem to be respecting each other’s territory. This has good chance of working out but as the wise and all knowing @Katrina71 stated, I’ve never seen or heard of two in the same tank. Probably wouldn’t work out in a pico but in your size tank maybe.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I think green is the dominant color for corals. I like the look of the back wall of the tank covered in gsp but all my green corals would be lost in the backdrop of a green wall.
Exactly! But I like how you did a dedicated mound of it.

If I had a nano, I would 100% do GSP on back wall and know I have to trim!

OP
OP
Remi

Remi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I saw some gsp branching for sale few days ago on the marketplace it was like some trees. It was really really nice.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I try to understand where coral want to stay.
It’s definitely a learning process based on overall flow needs of All my corals, 2 weeks ago I moved ALL my hammers to left scape, and put more gonis in their place cause they love the flow. It was a big undertaking, because that meant I had to move zoas that were surrounding,

Kinowing what I know now, I would have had frag plug holes drilled in all my ledges so I could have just put everything in temporarily until I knew they would be successful.

Lesson learned.

That’s what I’ve seen @tbrown when he makes scape pieces, but I don’t have space/tools to DIY.

I will say though that many Euro companies provide scape pieces with drag plug holes - US market, not so much

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw some gsp branching for sale few days ago on the marketplace it was like some trees. It was really really nice.

Woah!!! Never seen that!

Oh no - gotta go research and see if I can get one lil tree

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ya, a nano with gsp on the back wall and every coral in the tank every color but green. Those colors would pop with the green background.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back