Just another GHL v. APEX (or something else Thread)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t even get past the looks/design of GHL controllers, something about it just bugs me.
It's simple/clean and I like the way everything stacks nicely.
Apex looks like it was designed by Fischer Price. :face-savoring-food:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard neagative things about apex so never got one, I now have had two for 3 years now, no issues and works flawlessly,

A lot of negative reviews are people who don’t know what they are doing. I would think reefers would be intelligent people because of all the science/math involved but alas there are many that are not:)

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw at least one comment on here bashing GHL but he's never actually owned one. I speak from experience with both systems.

GHL - I never had any of the connectivity issues. Sounds like i was part of the lucky group. The software is outdated. Its not as flashy as fusion but it works. Sometimes, something that just works is the best route. I loved the feel and quality of the equipment. I ran GHL on an iphone and macbook. I stopped using GHL in 2020 due to a tank crash. Sold all my stuff.

APEX - It's worked out great for me as well. Not very many connectivity issues though it does tend to go down here and there. I've had several issues with the trident. I hate the price of trident reagents. Typical response time for CS is about 2 days. The equipment is definitely cheaply made. I remember when I opened up my one link module. I couldn't believe how cheap it felt. It literally felt like a 1990s dollar store toy my mom used to buy me. It was so bad that I actually felt ripped off. The packaging was even more cheaply made but who cares about packaging. The real question is has the apex worked out for me? It has. Its really easy to use too. And I really love all the options apex offers, such as the cor return and wav pumps.

If I had to go back and purchase all over again, without worrying about price, I would choose GHL. The stuff is just so much better built. I never experienced the connectivity issues others have. Their probes were high quality. And above all, the looks of the units appealed to my liking.

@Billdg has an amazing long-term write up documenting his transition from apex to GHL. It's worth a read.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's simple/clean and I like the way everything stacks nicely.
Apex looks like it was designed by Fischer Price. :face-savoring-food:
Well at least its not as bad as Hydros, this is all I see when I look at those units:

gettyimages-514874606.jpg

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well at least its not as bad as Hydros, this is all I see when I look at those units:

gettyimages-514874606.jpg
To each their own I guess. I have Hydros and love it. I have been able to do everything my Archon was doing and more. I currently have nine controllers in a collective controlling my tank, RODI and mixing station. It is all automated. All I have to do is add the salt mix to the salt tank once it has been refilled. Then press a button when it is ready to use. The Hydros transfers it from the mix tank to the fresh saltwater tank when it is needed to be refilled. It then refills the mix tank from the RODI unit.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to chime in and give my 2 cents. And these are simply my opinions based on my personal experiences. I need to preface that I've used Neptune Systems controllers since circa 2008. I have a profilux 4 and to be honest I'm more familiar with apex programming vs ghl, and I think it's because I was able to follow along as Neptune iterated their user interface over the years while profilux is very new to me.

I'm not a proponent of Neptune Systems and it's not because of their controllers it's because of their peripherals. I recently threw out a bone yard collection of failed Neptune peripherals. It seems to me that the majority of them have been "phoned in" and they don't measure up to the same standard as their controllers. I would like to think that their peripherals should be scrutinized for their underwhelming performance.

From my experience in comparing the controllers, it certainly apperars that although both ghl and apex can achieve basically the same thing in regards to monitoring and control, they do it in completely different ways. I liken it to ghl has a PC software feel and neptune has a c++ feel. And to add, the latest changes to fusion software seems to make programming a lot easier. Both platforms require a learning curve to understand how it operates but neither are difficult to master. With that being said, for me the choice comes down to 1 thing. Do you want to have a controller made by a boutique company that is in another country, or do you want a controller from a larger company thats going to pick up the phone?

My personal opinion from reading the tea leafs (observing over the last 10 years) is that ghl became popular because Neptune puts off a holier than thou attitude, they're reluctant to criticism and change and come off very abrasive. Which, rightfully drove people in search for an alternative. I think a lot of GHLs popularity in the states was derrived out of spite for Neptune.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their community based support is basically zero.
This is because the user community is mainly active on the official GHL forum, do not hesitate to go there:

GHL has connection issues.
The GHL doser and KHD operate reliabily but connectivity via remote access as been inconsistent and unreliable. I have opened several service tickets and they try a bunch of things and nothing solves the issue.
There is no general connectivity problem with GHL products, unfortunately most of the time it is an individual problem related to the user's wifi network.
I must however admit that the networking of a GHL Doser 2.0/2.1 is not the easiest and that is why the new model GHL Doser 2.2 is now equipped with the same Wifi module as others GHL products.

poor design (stacked, non-IP rated.) if and when a leak occurs taking out everything underneath.
GHL products like those of Neptune System are not waterproof, it is a fact and it is clearly indicated in the various instructions for use. This is indeed an advantage of Hydros products.
However, I have had GHL products for over 10 years and if they have been used and installed correctly it is absolutely not a problem.

the software UX is rather clunky and "old school". It's absolubly usable and it gets better once I got used to it, but let's say it's far from the modern cloud softwares we're used to these days.
Outdated interface
GHL has garbage software
The GHL Control Center software on PC may be "Old school" but it is very functional, it is possible to view several tabs simultaneously and even to have interactions between them, here for example it is possible to view the influence of seasonal lighting by superimposing it on top of the illumination curves:
seasonals.png

The software is also being improved, more and more screens including those with graphs and tables now have a dynamic layout that adapts to the size of the screen and new customizations of displays will be available with G.C.C 1.1.4.1 but I won't tell you more :)

Else, all recent connected products can be used with a modern and dynamic interface on the myGHL Cloud as well as with their variations, the GHLConnect application and their local web interface.

I still don't like that I can't use my macs to do the initial programming without installing some kind of pc emulator (i just use a little netbook).
If you are a Mac user do not get a GHL. You won’t be able to do firmware updates.
I'm a 25+ year mac user. Can't stand PC's.
But I use a cheapo windows netbook just for GHL for the initial setup and occassional update.
It's also required to change the lighting project for my Mitras.
Or you can run an emulation on your mac but that's a hassle, IMO.
Regarding the Mitras LX, since the LX7 version they are equipped with the same wifi module as the ProfiLux and Doser 2.2 and therefore fully managed by GHLConnect and myGHL.

The initial setup can be done entirely via a web browser and therefore also on MAC:

As well as with the Connect app:

The wifi module as well as the local web interface can also be updated without Windows:

On the other hand, indeed, for the moment the update of the internal firmware of the product can only be done with the Windows software GHL Control Center. I say "for the moment", more to come, I can't tell you more. :)

Gaël

Last edited:

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is because the user community is mainly active on the official GHL forum, do not hesitate to go there:

There is no general connectivity problem with GHL products, unfortunately most of the time it is an individual problem related to the user's wifi network.
I must however admit that the networking of a GHL Doser 2.0/2.1 is not the easiest and that is why the new model GHL Doser 2.2 is now equipped with the same Wifi module as others GHL products.

GHL products like those of Neptune System are not waterproof, it is a fact and it is clearly indicated in the various instructions for use. This is indeed an advantage of Hydros products.
However, I have had GHL products for over 10 years and if they have been used and installed correctly it is absolutely not a problem.

The GHL Control Center software on PC may be "Old school" but it is very functional, it is possible to view several tabs simultaneously and even to have interactions between them, here for example it is possible to view the influence of seasonal lighting by superimposing it on top of the illumination curves:
seasonals.png

The software is also being improved, more and more screens including those with graphs and tables now have a dynamic layout that adapts to the size of the screen and new customizations of displays will be available with G.C.C 1.1.4.1 but I won't tell you more :)

Else, all recent connected products can be used with a modern and dynamic interface on the myGHL Cloud as well as with their variations, the GHLConnect application and their local web interface.

Regarding the Mitras LX, since the LX7 version they are equipped with the same wifi module as the ProfiLux and Doser 2.2 and therefore fully managed by GHLConnect and myGHL.

The initial setup can be done entirely via a web browser and therefore also on MAC:

The wifi module as well as the local web interface can also be updated without Windows:

On the other hand, indeed, for the moment the update of the internal firmware of the product can only be done with the Windows software GHL Control Center. I say "for the moment", more to come, I can't tell you more. :)

Gaël

Gael, can the lighting project be changed via MyGHL?
I've always been confused with the Mitras programming options... the difference between Projects, Multi-Channel Setup, Illumination Channels... I basically just create a project in GCC and that's it.
I'm probably using 5% the software's capabilities. :winking-face-with-tongue:

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each their own I guess. I have Hydros and love it. I have been able to do everything my Archon was doing and more. I currently have nine controllers in a collective controlling my tank, RODI and mixing station. It is all automated. All I have to do is add the salt mix to the salt tank once it has been refilled. Then press a button when it is ready to use. The Hydros transfers it from the mix tank to the fresh saltwater tank when it is needed to be refilled. It then refills the mix tank from the RODI unit.
Just joking, of course, most people argue what they currently own is the awesome. Just the nature of the hobby ;)

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gael, can the lighting project be changed via MyGHL?
I've always been confused with the Mitras programming options... the difference between Projects, Multi-Channel Setup, Illumination Channels... I basically just create a project in GCC and that's it.
I'm probably using 5% the software's capabilities. :winking-face-with-tongue:

Until GHL Control center version 1.1.3.8:
Light Composer:This option provides you with the most tools which help you in creating and fine-tuning your light schedule. Here you will find an automatically generated spectral graph which aids in producing the most natural and beneficial spectrum for your plants and/or coral. You can also save and load composition to file.
This tool can be found in GHL Control Center.

Multi-Channel Setup: This option offers the core functionality of Light Composer minus the auto-generated spectral graphs. This tool can be found in both GHL Control Center and GHL Connect app.

Since GCC V1.1.3.8: Lightspectrum display was added in multichannel setup for ProfiLux 4 and Mitras LX7

Possibility to save and load with Multi-Channel Setup is on the To-Do list.

Last edited:

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until GHL Control center version 1.1.3.8:
Light Composer:This option provides you with the most tools which help you in creating and fine-tuning your light schedule. Here you will find an automatically generated spectral graph which aids in producing the most natural and beneficial spectrum for your plants and/or coral. You can also save and load composition to file.
This tool can be found in GHL Control Center.

Multi-Channel Setup: This option offers the core functionality of Light Composer minus the auto-generated spectral graphs. This tool can be found in both GHL Control Center and GHL Connect app.

Since GCC V1.1.3.8: Lightspectrum display was added in multichannel setup for ProfiLux 4 and Mitras LX7

Possibility to save and load with Multi-Channel Setup is on the To-Do list.
Ah! I didn't realize multichannel setup was essentially the same as Light Composer.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

seasonals.png

Gaël

While I appreciate the long reply, this is the exact issue with GHL and their club. EVERYTHING is ALWAYS user error and couldn't possibly be their archaic software and coding. GHL never once owned up to the issues I was having. Somehow I can connect well over 50 devices to my WiFi with zero issues but the GHL Mitras that would NEVER connect (no matter which forum I went to or who I reached out to) is my fault. There are hundreds of posts about connection issues with GHL products. It isn't a one off and needs to be addressed if GHL ever wants to relevant in the US.

Again, the hardware is fantastic but the software needs serious help.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I appreciate the long reply, this is the exact issue with GHL and their club. EVERYTHING is ALWAYS user error and couldn't possibly be their archaic software and coding. GHL never once owned up to the issues I was having. Somehow I can connect well over 50 devices to my WiFi with zero issues but the GHL Mitras that would NEVER connect (no matter which forum I went to or who I reached out to) is my fault. There are hundreds of posts about connection issues with GHL products. It isn't a one off and needs to be addressed if GHL ever wants to relevant in the US.

Again, the hardware is fantastic but the software needs serious help.
To correct a problem, it must be identified and reproducible. So often people confuse everything, wifi, internet, network, server, "the archaic software and his coding"... :)

Gaël

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To correct a problem, it must be identified and reproducible. So often people confuse everything, wifi, internet, network, server, "the archaic software and his coding"... :)

Gaël

It is easily reproduced by many of us. I understand everything you are talking about. It isn't my first rodeo dealing with routers and networking. I am fully capable of running them.

My neighbor is an internet service provider and fully trained in all things IT. Even he couldn't figure out what it was doing. Conclusion was likely a bad card in the light itself but GHL was of zero help fixing that so I sold it off and moved on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back