Just another GHL v. APEX (or something else Thread)

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conclusion was likely a bad card in the light itself
So it was a localized problem and not a general problem.

Then concerning the support request itself it is really unfortunate that it was not conclusive, but I cannot speak about it not knowing the details nor the way in which it took place.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinion from reading the tea leafs (observing over the last 10 years) is that ghl became popular because Neptune puts off a holier than thou attitude, they're reluctant to criticism and change and come off very abrasive.

Interesting you would mention this as I don't think it has ever been brought up. This is the exact reason I will never, ever touch an Apex or any other product from Neptune (Not that there are many products they make that are stand alone without the Apex). Terrence ruined Neptunes reputation for me for life. The 2016 "Fisher Price" look didn't help but at the end of the day it was him that killed any chance of me ever giving them a dime of my hard earned money, regardless of whether or not he has moved on.

(I don't want to derail the thread but wanted to atleast mention that your tea leaf reading might be somewhat accurate)

Last edited:

R-balljunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
South Pacific Ocean Longitude: 167.6546 deg. Latit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is because the user community is mainly active on the official GHL forum, do not hesitate to go there:

GHL products like those of Neptune System are not waterproof, it is a fact and it is clearly indicated in the various instructions for use. This is indeed an advantage of Hydros products.
However, I have had GHL products for over 10 years and if they have been used and installed correctly it is absolutely not a problem.

The GHL Control Center software on PC may be "Old school" but it is very functional, it is possible to view several tabs simultaneously and even to have interactions between them, here for example it is possible to view the influence of seasonal lighting by superimposing it on top of the illumination curves:
seasonals.png

The software is also being improved, more and more screens including those with graphs and tables now have a dynamic layout that adapts to the size of the screen and new customizations of displays will be available with G.C.C 1.1.4.1 but I won't tell you more :)

Else, all recent connected products can be used with a modern and dynamic interface on the myGHL Cloud as well as with their variations, the GHLConnect application and their local web interface.

Regarding the Mitras LX, since the LX7 version they are equipped with the same wifi module as the ProfiLux and Doser 2.2 and therefore fully managed by GHLConnect and myGHL.

The initial setup can be done entirely via a web browser and therefore also on MAC:

As well as with the Connect app:

The wifi module as well as the local web interface can also be updated without Windows:

On the other hand, indeed, for the moment the update of the internal firmware of the product can only be done with the Windows software GHL Control Center. I say "for the moment", more to come, I can't tell you more. :)

Gaël

Umm, yeah. Thanks for posting the 3 videos, cumulative run time, 30 minutes needed on how to just connect to a GHL. Never mind setting up a Kh guardian, calibrating, setting dosing pumps , adding logic, adding a STDL4-4 etc.

My point exactly. Not even close to plug and play, nothing intuitive with a 90's type interface.

Hydros is 1000% more intuitive.....have not ran into an interlock or programming feature i could not figure out on my own without watching videos.

I set up a Kh director and it failed/leaked internally (initial batch w/ tubing issue), wiped out everything underneath the stack, requiring opening up the modules, ordering parts to do repairs....and it never gave reliable results......bout the same sentiments for the Ion director from recent reviews. Not reliable.

Setup an Alkatronic, rock solid and easy peasy to tie into my calcium reactor for stable Alk, open API for both Alkatronic and mastertonic.

I can track my tank on both my phones, dedicated iPad, and my laptop.....all backed up on the cloud.

I work in building automation. I talk AI's, AO's. DI's and DO's all day for a living. I hope it's not operator headspace at this point.

If GHL is your flavor neighbor, go for it.......Not a system i would invest in.....ever again. I've had my fill of help desk tickets.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 10.09.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 10.09.50 PM.png
    329.6 KB · Views: 51

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’m a GHL fan. I think the build quality is far superior, think hobby grade vs industrial grade.
GHLs PLC based software is not very user friendly if you’re illiterate when it comes to tech but I personally like it. It’s a very stable platform that’s been used in manufacturing for ages…but ease of use goes to apex.

My setup (I have some additional dosers and stuff in the sump room):
1671382163413.jpeg

The only annoying thing with my P4 is that if the Wi-Fi goes down it doesn’t connect back automatically and I I have to turn it off and on again. Happens about once a month and it’s generally not a problem but would be a headache if it happened when traveling. I’m debating putting it on a smart plug so if it happens whilst we’re all gone I can fix it remotely.

Since this is mainly a U.S. based forum I’m fairly sure you’re going to find more apex users here. In Europe where I am it’s more 50/50 I’d say.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only annoying thing with my P4 is that if the Wi-Fi goes down it doesn’t connect back automatically and I I have to turn it off and on again.
I lose connection about once a month as well. But I’ve narrowed it to my network itself. I lose connection in some cameras as well as my wave engine. I have a smart plug on my P4 and my wave engine to reset them remotely if need to. I also have 2 routers and a smart plug on the one that is connected to p4 so can reset that remotely as well. Only thing I can’t do anything about is the modem itself…

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and reliability is VERY important to me;
The only way to guarantee reliability is to buy multiple of every item you rely on or consider incredibly important. Yes that means spending a lot of money and having an EB832 sitting around in box unused. Or another base unit. Yes it means that if your Apex kit costs $900 you'll be spending $1800.

That is the only way.

That is how we achieve reliability in IT. Although you can't throw a BigIP in front of two Apex units. C'est La Vie.

I would stay away from GHL though.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to guarantee reliability is to buy multiple of every item you rely on or consider incredibly important. Yes that means spending a lot of money and having an EB832 sitting around in box unused. Or another base unit. Yes it means that if your Apex kit costs $900 you'll be spending $1800.

That is the only way...
If you are going to spend that kind of money, why have it all sitting around in a box unused?

Why not set it up? Run two controllers independently to improve reliability. Or even better, run two controllers from two different manufacturers to rule out any common failure modes.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to spend that kind of money, why have it all sitting around in a box unused?

Why not set it up? Run two controllers independently to improve reliability. Or even better, run two controllers from two different manufacturers to rule out any common failure modes.
You do run multiple controllers with Hydros since all modules are controllers and when in a collective they share inputs and outputs with each other. So with one failure all you would loose is the inputs and outputs on that device. I have 9 controllers in my collective. So that is quite a bit of redundancy.

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Because running two at a time causes wear and tear on both. Same reason we leave our servers offline in a pile until we need them for replacements. Not to mention accidents. Keeping spares in their box away from the tank reduces risk.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back