Just Another Pico Reef

TheRainyDayAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Usually just poke my head in once in a while to see what everyone is up to, but this time I decided to make a small thread for my small tank

9AF0064A-818B-4545-A379-6061CF8F21C0.jpeg

It’s only .3 gallons so not a lot to work with, but slowly turning it into a good old fashioned tiny mixed reef is my desire. As far as equipment goes, I won’t be using anything too fancy, just a light, small heater, and the return pump is all

Now let’s talk adding fish…lol jk. I might add a tiny little hermit crab or something like a bumblebee shrimp would be cool, but honestly this tank will focus on just corals. After initially cycling the tank, I plan on just doing 50%-ish weekly water changes along with manually topping off when needed, but I suppose this is all subject to change if needed.

In all, I’m excited to start working on such a small tank; should be a fun little desktop reef

Thanks for stopping by and happy reefing!

OP
OP
TheRainyDayAquarium

TheRainyDayAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always loved pico tanks, the challenges associated with them, and the joy of having a little mini tank. Best of luck with your Pico!!
They are so much fun! Sometimes difficult like you said, but when everything is running smoothly they can look incredible.

Thanks!

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never ran a Pico, myself, but I do love looking at them. Can't wait to see this one come together. Tagging along for the ride!

OP
OP
TheRainyDayAquarium

TheRainyDayAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up with a bumble bee shrimp? If not you should still 100% get one. I would probably grab a Pom Pom crab while you are at it too. Happy reefing and best of luck.
Not yet, I'm taking this tank pretty slow. Years ago I had a small tank like this at the office with a pom pom crab in it; super fun little tank.

BadCrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome little tank - who manufactured it?

It’s cool how the goals for a pico present unique challenges due to the space constraint - it’ll be a fun aquascaping challenge to still get the variety of textures and heights you expect in a mixed reef. I’m excited to watch it grow in!

OP
OP
TheRainyDayAquarium

TheRainyDayAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome little tank - who manufactured it?

It’s cool how the goals for a pico present unique challenges due to the space constraint - it’ll be a fun aquascaping challenge to still get the variety of textures and heights you expect in a mixed reef. I’m excited to watch it grow in!
Thanks! I actually make these tanks under my brand Vasa Blue. I sell a few styles on my website, but wanted to just have a normal build thread for my personal one.

It’s a fun challenge for sure scaping a small tank like this. I think the hardest part is acclimating the corals, I end up doing a 100% water change when I have more than 2 frags lol.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back