OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It goes above. Mine is a pita to get to but I'm hoping the benefits out weigh the inconvenience

20190912_170007.jpg

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so first impressions seem good. However when I hooked it up it leaks out of the header pipe. I either have to make a longer piece that first further into the fitting or I have to glue it. I'm heading towards trying a longer piece first. It's a little disappointing that I paid a good amount of money for this then have to figure out how not to get it to leak. Unfortunately I'm not too impressed at the moment

fostee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I know it’s off-topic but where did you get those nice connectors for your Dos? I’ve been looking for something like that .

18F905F9-B654-4731-851B-6BDA7A591548.jpeg
CE1149CE-CAC4-4C10-888B-558BAC92B669.jpeg

[/QUOTE]

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I know it’s off-topic but where did you get those nice connectors for your Dos? I’ve been looking for something like that .

Yup, best solution by far for those leaky DOS compression connectors... just make sure you use Teflon paste for the 1/8” threads. You will need 4 of these...

I am a big fan of this mod so you can use standard RO tubing with the DOS pump heads. It’s a serious head scratcher as to why they have two different connection types for the DOS vs the DDR. Here is a Neptune forums link to the John Guest fitting mod for the DOS. Follow the link in post #3 from the poster Wiretech who originally came up with this

OP - apologies for the thread hijack.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would like to field test this unit. They don't not yet have one large enough for my tank but i have reason to believe that won't matter.

fostee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, best solution by far for those leaky DOS compression connectors... just make sure you use Teflon paste for the 1/8” threads. You will need 4 of these...

I am a big fan of this mod so you can use standard RO tubing with the DOS pump heads. It’s a serious head scratcher as to why they have two different connection types for the DOS vs the DDR. Here is a Neptune forums link to the John Guest fitting mod for the DOS. Follow the link in post #3 from the poster Wiretech who originally came up with this

OP - apologies for the thread hijack.
Thanks so much!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the width of the slot?

Should be about 1/8” of an inch. It’s a bummer that the Icecap ATSs don’t use a slot pipe to feed water to the growth screen. That will really impact the efficiency of these scrubbers IMO.

For more info on the slot pipe, here is some invaluable information from Bud Carlson, builder of the Turbo’s Aquatics algae scrubbers.

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be about 1/8” of an inch. It’s a bummer that the Icecap ATSs don’t use a slot pipe to feed water to the growth screen. That will really impact the efficiency of these scrubbers IMO.

For more info on the slot pipe, here is some invaluable information from Bud Carlson, builder of the Turbo’s Aquatics algae scrubbers.

Thank you for this. Makes alot of sense. I'm in contact with the rep now. He is looking into it. I'm def a little bummed. Even the holes that were drilled are all crooked and just seems like bad quality. The best part so far are the lights imo. I will be making mods to this for sure. Before I do I want to see what the rep says

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that also makes alot of sense why I'm having so much trouble with flow. The slot seems so much better

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From looking it up, it uses the same cheap amazon LED spot lights I have on mine. The problem I found is not only are they not waterproof(they claim IP67 rating), the cases rust quite a bit. Also the nature of the spotlight will cause an algae burn in the middle of your screen. The light is too intense right in the middle. What I ended up doing with a suggestion from @Turbo's Aquatics was to just put some painters tape right in the center of the light to help diffuse it some. Seems to have worked as I have great growth with no dead spots on my screen from light burn.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not convinced that the slot versus the holes is that much of a big deal. What I am understanding from various posts is that the rated flow is way too much for the scrubber. If you get anywhere near that level of flow it’s going to be spraying all over the place slot, holes, whatever. What we should be after is a steady consistent flow down the screen.

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not convinced that the slot versus the holes is that much of a big deal. What I am understanding from various posts is that the rated flow is way too much for the scrubber. If you get anywhere near that level of flow it’s going to be spraying all over the place slot, holes, whatever. What we should be after is a steady consistent flow down the screen.
As flow goes I would agree. However I cant get a good even blanket of water no matter the flow. The slot seems to make more sense.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost me about 100 bucks to make mine and 50% of that was the lights. Probably 20 bucks in acrylic and pvc, 25 bucks for a pump, and 50 bucks for 2 lights.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back