Just bought IceCap Algae Scrubber

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would wrapping the end of the screen pipe in Teflon tape prior to inserting it in the elbow help with the leaking?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this. Makes alot of sense. I'm in contact with the rep now. He is looking into it. I'm def a little bummed. Even the holes that were drilled are all crooked and just seems like bad quality. The best part so far are the lights imo. I will be making mods to this for sure. Before I do I want to see what the rep says
The holes on the 302 scrubber weren’t lined up either, I believe that’s intentional but was very hard to work with. Personally I would recommend a turbo aquatic scrubber

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thi k teflon tape would work. But I'm not sure if the pipe is supposed to be removed for cleaning. That would mean every time I clean the screen or take it out I will have to wrap the threads back up. I would just glue it if it's supposed to be permanent. It has a quick disconnect on it so I'm waiting to hear what the deal is. I really appreciate the suggestions.

The holes arent like offset back and forth. It's like all over the place. I'll get a pic of it

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the holes

20190917_193429.jpg

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one too and it leaked in the same spot. I spoke with Jeff at CoralVue and it can be glued. I'm assuming that allows you to adjust it to the best flow then glue it how you like. In the mean time I was able to stop the leaking by pushing in hardish and give it a little twist. It kind of seals it. Mine hasn't leaked in 2 days. Once I get some growth I'll check the flow again and glue it in. It sucks the pipe is glued to the unit.

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one too and it leaked in the same spot. I spoke with Jeff at CoralVue and it can be glued. I'm assuming that allows you to adjust it to the best flow then glue it how you like. In the mean time I was able to stop the leaking by pushing in hardish and give it a little twist. It kind of seals it. Mine hasn't leaked in 2 days. Once I get some growth I'll check the flow again and glue it in. It sucks the pipe is glued to the unit.
Mine is too short to push it in any further. If I push it too far in it wont fit the cradle any more. I posted some pics of this.

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put it in the cradle and push together. it's a bit awkward but push together kinda hard then you can adjust the spray bar while it's together and that gives it a good seal.

Like I said i'll end having to glue it but I want to make sure once algae starts growing the position makes sense. I've only had mine since Friday so there's nothing on it yet.

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's way too short. Even when it's in the cradle and I push it together, it just pushes back out. There's a whole 1/2 inch of travel still left in the fitting

20190916_180208.jpg

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it sounds like they're sending me a replacement. That would be great. Thanks everyone for all the info. I will keep yall updated

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news on the coming replacement!

Do you know what metric size pipe they use? Once you get your replacement, and if you feel like tinkering, I’d source the same size metric sch 40 pvc pipe and end cap and cut a slot pipe into it, just to see how it compares to the stock version. I’m a tinkering geek so I’d be all over this if I had one of those scrubbers! :D

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I plan to. Its 20mm I believe. Il have to do some research. This is also cool if i plan on up grading my tank

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back