Just bought IceCap Algae Scrubber

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We'll be releasing a sump soon that is scrubber-friendly. There are some pics in this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/first-look-algae-scrubber-friendly-sump-from-icecap.647032/

That is nice. I have a large Icecap sump.. I would prefer this to the built in fuge for sure.
It would actually be cool to try the scrubber on my sump. I just have to get it running. Hopefully the next week or so.
I just have to finish the the rock work and plumb the UV and water goes in.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is nice. I have a large Icecap sump.. I would prefer this to the built in fuge for sure.
It would actually be cool to try the scrubber on my sump. I just have to get it running. Hopefully the next week or so.
I just have to finish the the rock work and plumb the UV and water goes in.

One of our team members back at HQ is testing it now and will report back. I actually have one here at my place, although it didn't fit in my stand. :(

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!!!! Welcome to the world of Algae Scrubbers. Love mine.

Screenshot 2019-09-10 18.29.18.png
Is yours the Santa Monica?

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the small ICE CAP scubber on my 70 gallon system. I have to change it every week and pull out a softball size of hair algae. Very impressive. It took a month for the algae to take on the screen (I never had hair algae in my tank), but now its unstoppable. I am now wondering at what point you want to clear the algae out?? I would have to say both sides of screen have are about 2 inches deep of algae. I can still see water flowing, so should be good??

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the small ICE CAP scubber on my 70 gallon system. I have to change it every week and pull out a softball size of hair algae. Very impressive. It took a month for the algae to take on the screen (I never had hair algae in my tank), but now its unstoppable. I am now wondering at what point you want to clear the algae out?? I would have to say both sides of screen have are about 2 inches deep of algae. I can still see water flowing, so should be good??

I myself tend to follow the recommendations of Bryan Farrish, owner of Santa Monica Filtration. He is the most knowledgeable person I know on this subject. Brian owns a number of scrubber patents and was already building and selling them when I entered the aquarium industry 13 years ago.

With a properly sized waterfall-style scrubber like your IceCap, you're looking at about 1-2 weeks between cleanings once you're through the break-in period. Brian suggests cleaning algae off the screen once it's grown in thick. To your question, you can hold out as long as water is still able to flow evenly down most of the screen.

Once it's time to clean, you can just pull the algae right off if it's super thick or use an old credit card to scrape it off, as shown at 3:18 in the video below. Gently brushing it off with a toothbrush is another common method hobbyists use to harvest algae.

You want to leave a little green clinging to the screen to seed the next batch. Any brown or black growth should be removed. Don't let the screen dry, either. It may not be necessary to do it every time, but you'll definitely have to clean the pipe and slot where water is exiting to ensure it doesn't get blocked or clogged by algae growth.

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does this mean? " I never had hair algae in my tank), but now its unstoppable".

Ciscodog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I recently set up the medium Icecap Turf Scrubber on my RS 525. Its only been running a few days so far but my issue is the amount of bubbles coming from the outflow. Its causing micro bubbles that in turn is causing so much salt creep. I am running the recommended flow of 500 gph and it seems to look correct? Obviously there is no algae yet so maybe once it matures it would slow the amount of micro bubbles? Tank is 5 years old but its a going on two years after a rebuild. I really wanted to get away from the refugium and try the turf scrubber to get the benefits of the reverse light cycle without the mess of chaeto throughout my sump. Anyone have this issue and what did you do to rectify it?

20201015_174511.jpg 20201031_144654.jpg 20201031_152723.jpg

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a 1 year update, my icecap scrubber is the main filtration in my 300G reef now. It does a great job of keeping everything undetectable. I should have bought the largest size though, as it fills up the chamber full every week. I dose a lot of heavy metals.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I recently set up the medium Icecap Turf Scrubber on my RS 525. Its only been running a few days so far but my issue is the amount of bubbles coming from the outflow. Its causing micro bubbles that in turn is causing so much salt creep. I am running the recommended flow of 500 gph and it seems to look correct? Obviously there is no algae yet so maybe once it matures it would slow the amount of micro bubbles? Tank is 5 years old but its a going on two years after a rebuild. I really wanted to get away from the refugium and try the turf scrubber to get the benefits of the reverse light cycle without the mess of chaeto throughout my sump. Anyone have this issue and what did you do to rectify it?

20201015_174511.jpg 20201031_144654.jpg 20201031_152723.jpg
Can’t you stick a larger diameter pipe in the sump which the drain would fit into. This would reduce velocity. Make sure it sticks out the water a fair height, Drill some big holes in the bottom of the big pipe. It would be cheap to try, in any event.

Ciscodog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t you stick a larger diameter pipe in the sump which the drain would fit into. This would reduce velocity. Make sure it sticks out the water a fair height, Drill some big holes in the bottom of the big pipe. It would be cheap to try, in any event.
Not sure that would do it but I will consider it... thanks

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my LED fixture has burned out, it turned pink and is now flickering. my fixture is outside of the tank away from water.

Is there a part# to replace this?

Anyone else have this issue?

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5 year update on 60W coralvue algal turf scrubber:

+does a great job keeping nitrates down in my 300G SPS reef
+more reliable than my skimmer

-both LED lights failed after about 12-14 months, I had to buy replacements on Amazon myself $18 ea
-the edges were VERY sharp and cut me badly, I ground all the sharp edges down myself
-a tad overpriced for such simple design, but would be happier if fixed above
-would help if you published the actual size of the screen on your site, since that is the rule of thumb most of us use

*overall I still say it's worth it, but expect the Lights to fail, but they are not costly to find. One of the best ways to keep nitrate under control if you don't feel like a DIY version that maybe annoying to maintain (like I did prior).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back