Just bought IceCap Algae Scrubber

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I often wonder if these types of scrubbers are being populated with bryopsis algae, which we definitely don't want to encourage in our systems. From what I have read, these algae scrubbers work great, but I wouldn't want to rely on a reef pest, to control my nitrates and phosphates.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for reaching out! It's awesome to see the community working together!

I cant say enough for coralvue. They have listened and worked with me throughout everything. They didnt just sell me a product and disappear. The support staff is shipping me new 20mm pvc and since end caps. They even asked if I would like it drilled or slotted. @Jeff@CoralVue thank you for all the help and support.

So in 5 days here is the new growth in the scrubber. It's really taking off. @waterdog I'm def going to be making the light blocker lol.

So

20190926_171338.jpg

Thank you for the thoughtful post. We sincerely appreciate it! I will share it with the support team as I am sure it will brighten their day! Feel free to reach out anytime, we're always here for ya!

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often wonder if these types of scrubbers are being populated with bryopsis algae

Almost never.

However, you do still want to fight pests with pest, meaning fight algae with algae. It's the better growth conditions in a scrubber (that out-compete the nuisance algae in a tank) that pull nutrients from the nuisance algae and cause it to fade away. I learned this in 2007 from Walter Adey's book "Dynamic Aquaria".

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone. Finally got around to doing some upgrades to the algae scrubber. The parts came in on thursday but I have been very busy.

Coralvue delivered to pre cut 20mm pvc pipes as well as end caps for each. They also threw in another quick disconnect elbow. All of this was free so I greatly appreciate that coralvue.

So what I did was make a few upgrades or what I feel are upgrades. Everything I have done has been from the experience of other members on this forum as well as youtube. Thanks everyone for the replies. I will go through everything and include pics at the bottom.

First was to put the slot in the new pipe. I felt I could never get the waterfall pattern I liked with the drilled holes. A member recommended the slot and I must say I love it.

Second was to make sure the pipe was long enough so when I pressed it into the elbow it would create a seal instead of a slight drip like the previous spray bars.

Third I made a light blocker out of some white pvc that will encase the spray bar so algae wont form where the water comes out the pipe. I have experienced this in just the short time I have had the scrubber running so I'm very excited for this mod. I decided to make it out of white pvc so it goes with the color of the scrubber. The new spray bar pipe coralvue sent me is grey so I think it will help to deter algae from growing as well. Once the light shield is slid over the spray bar and put in place it looks amazing! Might be an upgrade @Jeff@CoralVue that might make a revised model. As I'm typing this I'm kicking myself for not taking a pic of the algae infested spray bar. Oh well. Please take my word for it.

So here are the pics. Once again thanks to jeff and coralvue I am happy with my purchase. I hope that all this will help out moving forward. Again coralvue is amazing to work with and were with me every step of the way!

20190929_161714.jpg 20190929_161854.jpg 20190929_163010.jpg 20190929_163200.jpg 20190929_163242.jpg 20190929_164233.jpg 20190929_170838.jpg

OP
OP
RJ F.

RJ F.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still had some algae on the old spray bar. You can see what was happening. Add the screen to that and it starts to create a blockage and water sprays everywhere. So with the light shield hopefully that will be resolved

20190929_172907.jpg

DangSoGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting this. I purchased the smaller Icecap scrubber about a week or 2 ago and it's my first ATS. I do love the unit but I do think some improvements can be made. I was using an MJ1200 but have switched to an IM Mighty Jet Desktop pump that is turned all the way down and I didn't have any issues with leakage on my ATS unit. However, I do have issues with the spray bar. Even with the pump turned down and further reducing the flow via the valve, the water sprays all over the walls and I can't get a nice constant and consistent flow across the screen. The good news is that there is algae growing on the screen. Like the OP, I think I will modify the spray bar by making it slotted and adding a light blocker.

Thanks again to the OP and to those that offered input. And thank you CoralVue for working with customers to improve this product. I found this thread to be very valuable.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting this. I purchased the smaller Icecap scrubber about a week or 2 ago and it's my first ATS. I do love the unit but I do think some improvements can be made. I was using an MJ1200 but have switched to an IM Mighty Jet Desktop pump that is turned all the way down and I didn't have any issues with leakage on my ATS unit. However, I do have issues with the spray bar. Even with the pump turned down and further reducing the flow via the valve, the water sprays all over the walls and I can't get a nice constant and consistent flow across the screen. The good news is that there is algae growing on the screen. Like the OP, I think I will modify the spray bar by making it slotted and adding a light blocker.

Thanks again to the OP and to those that offered input. And thank you CoralVue for working with customers to improve this product. I found this thread to be very valuable.

Thank you for the feedback. I will share it with headquarters. I know they are making some adjustments to the units after some of the early feedback so your observations are very much appreciated!

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you share a picture of your slotted spray bar and share feedback on how it performs for you? I can be reached at [email protected]. You are also welcome to post here, of course!

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this be piped into an AIO?

It needs to sit above somewhere it can drain into. A sump is ideal, but I am sure it is possible to have it drain into the back chambers of an all-in-one aquarium. Not to discourage you from choosing IceCap, but @SantaMonica has some units that might be more appropriate, like a HOG (hang-on glass) or DROP (Drop-In) model. I started using a DROP model in the back of my all-in-one 4 weeks ago. By week 3 I had algae growing on the screen.

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs to sit above somewhere it can drain into. A sump is ideal, but I am sure it is possible to have it drain into the back chambers of an all-in-one aquarium. Not to discourage you from choosing IceCap, but @SantaMonica has some units that might be more appropriate, like a HOG (hang-on glass) or DROP (Drop-In) model. I started using a DROP model in the back of my all-in-one 4 weeks ago. By week 3 I had algae growing on the screen.
Gotch, It give me an excuse to buy a tank with a sump now

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share some improvements that were recently made to the scrubbers:

Please contact us at [email protected] if you were an early adopter and are having trouble with your scrubber because we would love the opportunity to help you out.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have the screen dimensions for the 3 size ICEcap scrubbers? I can't believe it's not posted anywhere!

I am checking on this for you. Not sure I'll get an answer back today, but I think by tomorrow I can post them here and update the product descriptions on the website with that information. Thank you in advance for your patience!

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am checking on this for you. Not sure I'll get an answer back today, but I think by tomorrow I can post them here and update the product descriptions on the website with that information. Thank you in advance for your patience!
Oh fantastic! Yes, that information is important to help advanced users figure out how many 'cubes' of food it can actually handle. I ended up buying a size too small because I was mislead by the footprint thinking it was the size of the chamber, so now I got a medium instead of a large, and I need to upgrade or buy another now... working great, but it's maxed out on my 300G.

CoralVue_Marketing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh fantastic! Yes, that information is important to help advanced users figure out how many 'cubes' of food it can actually handle. I ended up buying a size too small because I was mislead by the footprint thinking it was the size of the chamber, so now I got a medium instead of a large, and I need to upgrade or buy another now... working great, but it's maxed out on my 300G.

That makes sense. Our warehouse can pull a few out of inventory to measure the screens if they don't have that information listed somewhere already. We'll get 'er done for ya!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back