Just curious, but HOW many powerheads do YOU have?!!!

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So obviously flow and water movement is paramount for healthy and successful tanks, but is there a "rule" so to speak, or a certain amount based on tank size or simply what's inside? I know alot of corals, anems, etc., require flow, and length of tank certainly plays a role, but should I be concerned that my fish are getting tired out constantly swimming against the current? Do they need a "calm" space per se, to just rest or whatever until they head out back in the current? And more importantly if you didn't start out w/ too many heads but have since added them, are the fish affected adversely by the change? I just am curious how to balance this out for happy fish & happy corals for a happy reef.

I have a 5ft long tank w/ only two heads at the moment, one across the bottom in back and one to agitate the surface, and now I am in the market for more, but I am concerned about the fish now not adapting to the additional flow that will come w/ multiple heads. This might be a little longer tank than some, and therefore requires more powerheads, but dont want to turn it into a whirlpool in there

Thanks for the feedback!

IMG_1154.JPG

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish have no problem with the flow. I have no power heads .

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the tank, but usually two on opposite ends then controlled to alternate. Fish are good at adapting to different flow levels.

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good to know. i am thinking two mp10s on opposite corners, back to front, and an mp40 length wise across the front aimed diagonally towards the back corner on the opposite side

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh really? thats interesting. I noticed the clowns sometime will go to the back and swim into the flow of the head, as does the goby, the rest of the bunch stay out of the area though so thats what concerned me, that the tank may become too turbulent if I add that many heads. But I know w/ the length of the tank, I am going to need more movement as I add more coral and fish to it.
Thanks for the responses!!

U

User1

View Badges
Well, you can have too much flow but a lot depends on placement and the maturity of the tank, fish, and corals overall. New tank, not enough breaks, and running two Maxspect Gyre XF 250's in a 210 gallon tank measuring 54" W x 30" T and 30" D is too much running at 100%. In fact running them in random mode 40% power is about all I can safely do now without it moving the sand or stressing out the fish.

Fish are smart they will find the breaks and rest or use it to capture food as it passes, etc. Much like a trout in a river or stream. The water is fast moving and you find them behind rocks, dead trees, etc. Oceans are a bit different but if you have ever been scuba diving the currents can get pretty crazy down there. However, there are rocks, corals, and other things that can break the flow to give the animals a place of refuge or rest. Back to my tank has an example it is a new upgrade so the coral growth just isn't there so the power heads are really generating that thrust, chaos, flow, etc and it can be tough thus me dialing it down to 40% which on random is good enough. I may remove one until later and run it higher percentage / power but still trying to sort it out.

The good news about power heads that are controllable is that you can always adjust up or down as needed if you see signs of duress. I think more mature tanks with corals and rocks - or a more full system - has more flexibility than something new and moon base 9 rock sort of thing. Again, just my observation dealing with my upgrade.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you can have too much flow but a lot depends on placement and the maturity of the tank, fish, and corals overall. New tank, not enough breaks, and running two Maxspect Gyre XF 250's in a 210 gallon tank measuring 54" W x 30" T and 30" D is too much running at 100%. In fact running them in random mode 40% power is about all I can safely do now without it moving the sand or stressing out the fish.

Fish are smart they will find the breaks and rest or use it to capture food as it passes, etc. Much like a trout in a river or stream. The water is fast moving and you find them behind rocks, dead trees, etc. Oceans are a bit different but if you have ever been scuba diving the currents can get pretty crazy down there. However, there are rocks, corals, and other things that can break the flow to give the animals a place of refuge or rest. Back to my tank has an example it is a new upgrade so the coral growth just isn't there so the power heads are really generating that thrust, chaos, flow, etc and it can be tough thus me dialing it down to 40% which on random is good enough. I may remove one until later and run it higher percentage / power but still trying to sort it out.

The good news about power heads that are controllable is that you can always adjust up or down as needed if you see signs of duress. I think more mature tanks with corals and rocks - or a more full system - has more flexibility than something new and moon base 9 rock sort of thing. Again, just my observation dealing with my upgrade.

Except we all have different sand and fish. I have 2 gyre 230s running at 70% in a 75.

You are much more likley to have problems from too little flow than from too much.

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saf1 yea that was my concern and why I was thinking about the vortechs, I like the ability to adjust the power more than just being off or on which is the case w/ the two current heads I have. I think in my mind I was picturing the fish constantly hiding in the rock work and caves and not venturing out much other than feeding time when the heads would be shut down but head back to the caves, but I guess all they need would be just a simple spot behind a rock to break the flow to catch a break

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 34g deep blue tank I have 1 mp10, 2 reef breeder RP-M (between mp40 and mp10 power), and a tunze. All on long pulse mode.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
360G Tank:

Two Ecotech MP60QD
One Ecotech MP40 QD
Three Apex Wav pumps

Note: I run these all at low setting with two of them on Pulse

Yvonne Wong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 mp 10 on the left side and 1 mp 40 on the right at reef crest mode ~ 70% in a 75 gallon

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 60x36x27 I have so far 4x gyre 250s, and what saf1 said about breaks is right, the fish will find the quiet spots if they want, and night time is a quiet time for the wrasses. As long as they get fed well they should enjoy what we can toss their way.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 Gallon JBJ Flat Panel, bare bottom.

Dual Returns
= 600 GPH total with VCA RFG outlets

In tank
= IceCap Gyre 1k maxing at 70%

Nothing settles in my tank. Endless suspension.

Last edited:

Jeff Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 mp10 on red Sea e170. Definitely over kill but felt it was better to have too much and run low power versus not enough and suffer the consequences.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 gallon mixed reef. I have 7 Tunze 6501 pumps with 4 running any given moment.

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 mp 10 on the left side and 1 mp 40 on the right at reef crest mode ~ 70% in a 75 gallon
How long across is your tank? Thats the powerhead setup I am currently shopping for, 2 mp10s & 1 mp40

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 55 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back