Just diatoms?

Wolperthinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I started up a new tank after finding out I hated my 75 gallon bowfront. The new tank has been set up for about 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure I've got the regular diatom bloom, but I am new to the hobby and want to verify I am not creating a habitat for something worse. See the pics below. Is anyone able to confirm these are just diatoms and not diatoms coating something I should be trying to eradicate?

20230701_100908.jpg

20230701_100938.jpg

My starry blenny, Turbo snail, and hermits don't seem to mind grazing on this stuff so I am really hoping it's just diatoms.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not diatoms. Did you use your existing rock or new live ocean rock? Did you use your sand from the other tank?

OP
OP
Wolperthinger

Wolperthinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures don't do it justice because of the blue light but it is the rusty brown color to the human eye. I transferred in one of the live rocks from the old tank. Otherwise everything else is brand new.

OP
OP
Wolperthinger

Wolperthinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color is only part of the ID.

The physical characteristics from the algae you have in your tank are not that of diatoms
Righto, that's why I responded to your post verifying the color, as you made it seem like you didn't think they were rust colored. Either way you've given me the information I was seeking.

Now, when I lightly brush them the rusty color goes away and I am left with a whitish/gray colored strand/hair. Seeing as the herbivorous critters in the tank have no issue eating it its probably nothing to stress about?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Righto, that's why I responded to your post verifying the color, as you made it seem like you didn't think they were rust colored. Either way you've given me the information I was seeking.

Now, when I lightly brush them the rusty color goes away and I am left with a whitish/gray colored strand/hair. Seeing as the herbivorous critters in the tank have no issue eating it its probably nothing to stress about?
You are going to go through about a year of all sorts of algae blooms.
Prepare yourself lol.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's certainly possible to have diatoms and a secondary algae starting also. Good that your cleaners eat it. Diatoms go away on their own in a few weeks once silicate is gone. First year is full of different ugly stages. Weekly water changes and working towards stability is critical. Avoid harsh knee jerk chemical treatment reactions. This kills off your biome. You want biodiversity and microfauna development constantly. Manual removal if needed during water changes. Enjoy the ride.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back