Just got a free tank, what now?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RookieReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RookieReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 27, 2016
Messages
121
Reaction score
64
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today a customer of mine just gave me this tank, for free! What should I do with it?
I was thinking maybe a frag tank. And does anyone actually use bio balls, or is that more of a fish only system.

IMG_1478228677.533915.jpg
IMG_1478228691.391409.jpg
 
You think I should add a sump? I know that probably would be better if do able.
 
Definitely all in one frag tank, no need for a sump when it's already got a filtration in the back. As all have said ditch the bio balls.
 
Anyone know a good place to buy those marine pure, seems expensive and I might need a lot
 
Thanks for all the replies! I've been reading about the skimmer, it looks like it's a 50/50 on yes and no's
 
I'm currently running a HOB skimmer on my 80g right now, would have to do the same thing looks like. That thing wasn't cheap either, got the reef octopus was like $250 I believe
 
Also the tank was drilled in the display about a 2inch hole, I've been reading a lot about patching it with bulk heads , or siliconing a glass piece with at least a 2inch diameter bigger, not sure how well the glass will set on acrylic. Any opinions
 
If it's a hole cover patch, silicone works. That's not structural. The pressure of the water would push the patch tight vs a butt joint which is under perpendicular forces (and would not hold well)

You can cover a hole on the inside with a glass patch but an acrylic patch would be better as it will flex with the other acrylic, whereas glass would stay rigid as the acrylic flexes which could pop the seal

If it's on the bottom panel though, either would work, there's no flexing going on there.

I would be more worried about the euro, not sure if I'm seeing this right but in the 1st pic posted, it looks like there is a crack in the top brace near the front corner of the rear chamber cutout. This was apparently captured by the CAT scan, because the dude is looking right at it.
 
I would use a marine pure block in stead of balls if it will fit. Less on a detritus trap. Skimmer depends on how heavy the bio load is. I would have one on hand in case there are there are nutrient problems.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new