Just got a new Chinese black box

saratj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally received my Chinese led and thought I would share. I have built a couple DIY led fixtures and decided to go with one of these fixtures because for the price I can't really build one as nice. This is a newer model with an actual finned heatsink inside, three quieter fans, and a 3 channel timer. There are timers that control the dimmers as well so you could program a "sunrise and sunset" but that was about $50 more for that, so I didn't spring for that option, so my dimmers are rotary knobs.

Overall I'm very pleased. I got 90 degree optics and 2:1 RB to white. 3 moonlights. The fans are really quiet, I was running 3 120mm computer fans on my DIY led and the fans on the Chinese led are much quieter. The hanging setup is ok it could be better, but it works.

It was less than $200 shipped. I may order 3 more for the 135g I'm building. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351658593.714159.jpg
[eATTACH]41064[/ATTACH]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351658610.989574.jpg

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a link of where to buy one of them it looks very nice!

I have been looking into going led's for awhile now.
How are the corals reacting to the switch?

Do you like it so far?

OP
OP
saratj1

saratj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide a link of where to buy one of them it looks very nice!

I have been looking into going led's for awhile now.
How are the corals reacting to the switch?

Do you like it so far?

I would provide a link, but does this forum because its semi private, would they care about me posting a link, I just ask because some forums are funny about that.

I like LEDs , I've had a 250w MH +4xt5ho fixture, and a 12x10w multi-chip led fixture with 18x1w full color LEDs, and a 50w multi-chip led. Both of my multi-chip setups were hybrid chips meaning they had blue and white chips on the same emitter.

The corals are hard to tell, I've had LEDs over them for the last 8 months, and nearly the same wattage, and I've only had the new fixture for a couple days so I can't really say yet. I will say everything is open and looking good so far.

I bought the led from alibaba.com from a company called the twilight group, this is the place where reef breeders and complete filter services get theirs and resell them online.

OP
OP
saratj1

saratj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank pic, but it came out crappy, I took the pic with my iPad and the camera on this thing is junk, not even as good as an iPhones, the blue seems to really mess this camera up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351666748.888249.jpg

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kinda spread you think that would cover?
Think that fixture would cover a 40 breeder

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that would cover a 40 breeder no problem. There are a ton of LED's packed in that thing, and with the 90 degree optics, that will allow for decent spread.

saratj1, what kind of LED's are they? what watt?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sarah,

Posting a link of where you bought something in not against the rules. Inquiring reefers want to know. (myself included as that would ROCK over a frag tank.

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I have one from evergrow try them out. I've been using them for 2 years now and the craftmenship and customer service is top notch. There sales rep is in the state and speaks good english. Lol But watch out with some of these companies they use cheap parts and if you ask for Cree make sure they are using cree LEDs. Most venders have there own companies that they use.

OurReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you order it with any color led set up? Are reds and greens an option? And can you specify the lenses?

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our local club members bought a bunch and the controllers are all taking a dump fast, they are having to bypass the controller and just use the power cords on timers. Not trying to bash them because I sell LED's but thats what I have been seeing anyway, could be different company hard to say but I guess when they email the factory they are getting no response back......

OP
OP
saratj1

saratj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a issue with another suppliers controller, it resets everyday, this light does not have that issue as far as I know. There is another similar supplier of these lights called evergrow I believe, these are not the same light as those.

I'm not sure about the customizable colors, I believe they will, they do make these with Cree LEDs at a premium, I think it's about +$50. I got 90 degree optics, you can add whatever optics you like. They offer 2 different types of optics and 40, 60 , 90, 120 angles, I think there's one more angle option I can't remember.
I will post the alibaba store and my contacts email. I would say contact them via email because I found the store confusing. But they are pretty responsive to emails they answered mine every night.

OP
OP
saratj1

saratj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an email from twilight and you can customize the fixtures colors with red green uv ect, it will be custom built to your specs.

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah thats right, evergrow is the brand they used that has controller issues.

TheWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally received my Chinese led and thought I would share. I have built a couple DIY led fixtures and decided to go with one of these fixtures because for the price I can't really build one as nice. This is a newer model with an actual finned heatsink inside, three quieter fans, and a 3 channel timer. There are timers that control the dimmers as well so you could program a "sunrise and sunset" but that was about $50 more for that, so I didn't spring for that option, so my dimmers are rotary knobs.

Overall I'm very pleased. I got 90 degree optics and 2:1 RB to white. 3 moonlights. The fans are really quiet, I was running 3 120mm computer fans on my DIY led and the fans on the Chinese led are much quieter. The hanging setup is ok it could be better, but it works.

It was less than $200 shipped. I may order 3 more for the 135g I'm building. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

[eATTACH]41064[/ATTACH]

I just bought a set of these from someone used. I know this post is ancient, but is there anyway you're still active and have the instructions on how to program these puppies still?

cbrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

[eATTACH]41064[/ATTACH]
So this is a good company to buy from

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back