Just received my second clam.... Squamosa.......

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

Over a year ago i ordered a tiny squamosa from LiveAquaria. It was beautiful and thrived in my tank with strong growth. Then at reefapalooza in orange county this past year, i purchased a second clam, a tonga maxima clam and with it unfortunately brought some pyramid snails home that killed my squamosa before i realized what was going on. When i pulled the squamosa out i didn't see anything on it. then a few nights later i saw a pyramid on the maxima and immediately went into quarantine mode.

I have had the maxima in a cup in my tank for many weeks now. Periodically taking the cup out of the tank, scrubbing the clam and toothpicking flutes, putting new sand in the bottom of a clean cup and returning it to my tank. it has been a while since i have seen any more snails.

So, last week during a moment of weakness, i was on divers den and picked up a new squamosa which arrived in the mail today.

I'm not 100% convinced it is the same specimen in the WYSIWYG photo on divers den..... if it is, it has definitely been relocated on the rock it is attached to. It appears the patterns all match up, but the color isn't back in the clam since she's been getting tossed around in a box the last day or so on her way here. My girlfriend, works in image processing for NASA, eyeballed the WYSIWYG photo and the clam in the tank and says she sees patterns that match.

What do you all think? Hopefully it colors up like the photo....It's just brown because of being in a box and not because diver's den does some photoshopping...right?

Also, theres no way they would have glued it to the rock.... right? It doesn't seem blatantly apparent from the looks of it in person....

-MR

DiversDen photo:

Fresh out of the box, before drip acclimation and a cleaning:

In the tank, quarantined for observation for a few weeks, sorry for the poor photos, hard angle to get at:

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lines and spots match beautiful squammy!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back