Just started a ~465 Gallon Custom...

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all!

I already started a build thread in a different part of the forum so didn't want to double-post, but it looks like I should've started here! Anyways, it's posted below and in my sig if you care to check it out.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...ns-of-financial-insanity.616765/#post-6199979

I recently commissioned a 108x36x30 from Crystal Reef Aquatics that should be done sometime in September.

I am new to tanks of this size (largest tank I've ever had was 90 gallons... so yeah), and so would very much welcome any advice, pointers, or pitfalls that I should be aware of that are specific to tanks of this size.

Cheers!

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are heavy so make sure your floor can handle it. I’m in the process of a 600 build. They other thing to keep in mind is water flow and lighting for these size tanks.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are heavy so make sure your floor can handle it. I’m in the process of a 600 build. They other thing to keep in mind is water flow and lighting for these size tanks.

I have a carpenter coming in to double up the floor joists and make sure it will be well-supported. The lighting I think I have covered, but I am still trying to figure out what the best flow-solution would be.

I will have a coast-to-coast overflow on one end, and the majority of the pumps will need to be on the opposite end (9 ft away!). Was thinking putting a gyre and 2-3 MP60s on that end, then place another gyre halfway down the overflow bulkhead on the far end for return flow and alternate the two sides. What's your experience been with flow over that kind of distance?

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 MP60’s in my opinion still leave dead spots in the center on a 10 foot tank. I have no experience with a tank your design tho. My build flow plan is 4 Neptune wavs and 2 Maxspec XF350’s. 1 Maxspec on each end and the Wavs on the back wall.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my build will be a room divider so both long sides need to ideally remain clear of pumps/wires etc, can only put pumps on either end. I almost went with a couple closed loops, but I don't think I would've been able to sleep at night knowing that there was several thousand pounds of water only being held back by a few plastic bulkheads... ;Wideyed

Was hoping the MP60s would have enough horsepower to reach the whole length.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They move the water to the other end just not enough for Coral flow in my opinion. It’s a noticeable difference at 10 feet lol

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank is much smaller, and I am going with 7 MP40’s........... I would like an MP60 on each end, but at this point budget has been stretched far enough!!!!

If the ends are the only place you can put pumps, I’d say 4-5 MP60’s may be needed

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, very true. Well, maybe I could bounce an internal powerhead off the wall of the tank to get some crossflow like so:
Tank Drawings Flow Patterns.jpg

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank is much smaller, and I am going with 7 MP40’s........... I would like an MP60 on each end, but at this point budget has been stretched far enough!!!!

If the ends are the only place you can put pumps, I’d say 4-5 MP60’s may be needed

Yeesh, would I even be able to fit that many on a 36" by 30" pane of glass? I've never actually seen one in real life, only in pictures/videos and they look pretty massive.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah...... You could do 4 on a side probably

Hmmmm okay, I could see doing that. I'd def have to have a pretty big open buffer zone between the pumps and any corals or livestock though I would imagine right? I feel like anything that gets too close would have its skin ripped off by all those monsters firing at once.

I also plan on having a Gyre on each side to help with keeping a constant barrel-roll flow goin.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the MP60’s are huge! How thick is your tank going to be? Even the MP60’s do not stay put on a 3/4” thick tank. That’s why I’m going with the wavs as they claim 1” thick glas they still hold.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the MP60’s are huge! How thick is your tank going to be? Even the MP60’s do not stay put on a 3/4” thick tank. That’s why I’m going with the wavs as they claim 1” thick glas they still hold.

Uh-oh, mine is going to be 3/4" glass and they state on the website that they are good for up to 1" glass... and I really like the fact that I can put them on an integrated battery backup. But your experience is that they don't hold up on glass that thick? That's going to be a problem...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back