Just started got question

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 gallon tank, used CaribSea sand and salt water, also top off everyday with the CaribSea salt water
That’s why the salinity is high. Should be topping off with straight freshwater. Salt doesn’t evaporate, thus your salinity goes up as it evaporates. Adding saltwater will raise it even more.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you top off with straight up water. Not salt water! Salt does not evaporate. That’s why your salt level is high! You need to take out half a gallon of tank water and replace with distilled water. And you need to do it slowly so every day until you are at the range I mentioned earlier.

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why the salinity is high. Should be topping off with straight freshwater. Salt doesn’t evaporate, thus your salinity goes up as it evaporates. Adding saltwater will raise it even more.
Ah yeah just did some searching as well, guess Ill go get some distilled water tomorrow after work

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you top off with straight up water. Not salt water! Salt does not evaporate. That’s why your salt level is high! You need to take out half a gallon of tank water and replace with distilled water. And you need to do it slowly so every day until you are at the range I mentioned earlier.
Ok thanks will start doing that when I get distilled water

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back