Just started got question

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all just made my account after browsing the forum over the couple days that I’ve put my corals in my tank. Got some questions about them.

1st. When I got all my corals from the shop most of them were just need assorted frags and the two zoas I got the worker said one was a vampire slayer, and the other was a Malibu sunset. So was just wondering if there’s a way I could identify my other corals as what type they are(lps/sps) and the species.
2nd. Coral health wise how can I tell if my corals are doing good or is it too soon considering I started it Wednesday as of this post(2/10/24). And for my 2 Zoas is it normal for them to be opening and closing? My vampire slayer opened pretty much a couple hours after dropping it in while my Malibu sunset just opens from a couple spots and mostly stays closed.
Thanks
IMG_9580.jpeg
IMG_9581.jpeg
IMG_9582.jpeg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, we need some information. Tank age, size, lights , where did you get the water, water parameters ECT. Tank looks very new and on the smaller size. What do you have for fish and other animals.

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, we need some information. Tank age, size, lights , where did you get the water, water parameters ECT. Tank looks very new and on the smaller size. What do you have for fish and other animals.
Bought the tank 2 weeks ago where I had it run for a week with just rock and nothing else. Then added coral plus 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 hermit crabs on 2/7/24 . One shrimp died so currently at 1. Size is 5 gallons. Got the water at PetSmart. The water is “natures ocean live nutri water”. I’m in ak so it’s hard to get sea water from our ocean and was talking to some of the guys at our fish hobby store where I got the coral and they said that petsmart water should be fine. Water parameter wise, I last tested Thursday 2/8/24 and my calcium was at 440ppm, KH took 8 drops for the color to change. Phosphate at 0.25ppm and nitrates at 0ppm. Used the API reef test kit.
Edit: light is myai prime 16

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cycle the tank? Is it only 4 days old? The other corals look like an acan(red/green on sandbed) and some type of favites or platygyra.
Have not cycled the tank. Tank was setup 2 ish weeks ago and coral, shrimps and hermit crabs were added 2/7/24

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the tank 2 weeks ago where I had it run for a week with just rock and nothing else. Then added coral plus 2 peppermint shrimp and 2 hermit crabs on 2/7/24 . One shrimp died so currently at 1. Size is 5 gallons. Got the water at PetSmart. The water is “natures ocean live nutri water”. I’m in ak so it’s hard to get sea water from our ocean and was talking to some of the guys at our fish hobby store where I got the coral and they said that petsmart water should be fine. Water parameter wise, I last tested Thursday 2/8/24 and my calcium was at 440ppm, KH took 8 drops for the color to change. Phosphate at 0.25ppm and nitrates at 0ppm. Used the API reef test kit.
I understand Alaska is hard to keep a reef tank in. I grew up in Anchorage. Your tank is to new at this point for coral. LFS are sometimes not your best friend when it comes to advise. It needs to be established and have a source of nutrition for the coral ie a fish. 5 gallon tank will be more challenging for someone new to keep coral

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. The tank needs to cycle. Even though none of the critters you have produce crazy amounts of waste, there’s still very little bacteria in a new tank to process it and will cause issues

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand Alaska is hard to keep a reef tank in. I grew up in Anchorage. Your tank is to new at this point for coral. LFS are sometimes not your best friend when it comes to advise. It needs to be established and have a source of nutrition for the coral ie a fish. 5 gallon tank will be more challenging for someone new to keep coral
Ah yeah. They told me 5 gallon would be challenging. Ran with it due to size constraints. Should I get a fish then? Was planning on getting 1 or 2 more hermit crabs and 2 more peppermint shrimp and then just let it run

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all just made my account after browsing the forum over the couple days that I’ve put my corals in my tank. Got some questions about them.

1st. When I got all my corals from the shop most of them were just need assorted frags and the two zoas I got the worker said one was a vampire slayer, and the other was a Malibu sunset. So was just wondering if there’s a way I could identify my other corals as what type they are(lps/sps) and the species.
2nd. Coral health wise how can I tell if my corals are doing good or is it too soon considering I started it Wednesday as of this post(2/10/24). And for my 2 Zoas is it normal for them to be opening and closing? My vampire slayer opened pretty much a couple hours after dropping it in while my Malibu sunset just opens from a couple spots and mostly stays closed.
Thanks
IMG_9580.jpeg
IMG_9581.jpeg
IMG_9582.jpeg
Corals typically need very stable parameters, which a tank does not have until it is at least 6 months old. Do you have any fish in the tank yet? You should really research as much info as you can in order to have some success. The tank looks good, but clearly very new. Personally, I would take the corals back to the store, get credit towards some fish. Cheaper/hardy fish to start. See how they do. What type light, filtration do you have. Have you tested the water to see what your current parameters are?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yeah. They told me 5 gallon would be challenging. Ran with it due to size constraints. Should I get a fish then? Was planning on getting 1 or 2 more hermit crabs and 2 more peppermint shrimp and then just let it run
You must cycle the tank first. There is information on how to do this with a googly search. Then you can add a fish. Make sure you research proper fish for a 5 gallon

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals typically need very stable parameters, which a tank does not have until it is at least 6 months old. Do you have any fish in the tank yet? You should really research as much info as you can in order to have some success. The tank looks good, but clearly very new. Personally, I would take the corals back to the store, get credit towards some fish. Cheaper/hardy fish to start. See how they do. What type light, filtration do you have. Have you tested the water to see what your current parameters are?
Last tested parameters were Posted above. Light was im using a myai prime 16. For my filter I’m using my tanks given filter for the moment. Which is a aquatop Pisces. Though I was debating getting a external filter if I can find one to fit in my space

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last tested parameters were Posted above. Light was im using a myai prime 16. For my filter I’m using my tanks given filter for the moment. Which is a aquatop Pisces. Though I was debating getting a external filter if I can find one to fit in my space
Your rocks are the main source of filtration. I run a 100 gallon system with just my Rock, refugium and run a skimmer part time. In a 5 gallon, water changes and your rock Is all you need for a long time.

OP
OP
reselute

reselute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rocks are the main source of filtration. I run a 100 gallon system with just my Rock, refugium and run a skimmer part time. In a 5 gallon, water changes and your rock Is all you need for a long time.
Huh, probably should of mentioned but the rock and sand I use is from CaribSea if that helps

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
IMG_9580.jpeg
IMG_9581.jpeg
IMG_9582.jpeg
Tank is not cycled.
You need an ammonia test kit & a nitrate test kit(don't worry about nitrite)

Don't add any further livestock.
If you can-return livestock to LFS.
You need a refractometer & calibration solution too.

Without meaning to sound rude-you need to do lots of reading & research too before you go any further.
Google nitrogen cycle it will explain the process in detail.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The porous rock acts as a biological filter. The surface area houses bacteria that break down waste products, thus acting as your main filtration. Was the rock dry before adding it? Or was it in another system with fish and such?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back