Just started up again after many years out of hobby...sure has changed. Need lighting advice

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I was a longtime salt water aquarium keeper starting in the early 70's.....crude under-gravel filters and lots of short lifespans.
I always loved the invertebrates, keeping corals was seemingly impossible. Obviously things have changed a lot, I recently bought a used biocube 29 as a complete unit. It is a nice setup with green star polyps, a pair of clown fish , some hermits and turbo snails. The star polyp colony is large. I'm seeking information regarding a lighting change. I know the prior owner was not successful with hard corals because there were dead plugs in the tank but the star polyp colony is thriving. The prior owner upgraded the lights with some blue and white LED's. One side still had the CP, the owner said the bulb was blown...I bought a replacement bulb but it did not work. A few days ago the blue lights went out. I've been looking into different lights but there are lots of choices, some you tube videos seem dated and I want any new lights to give me as many options as possible. I would like to retrofit some new lights in the biocube canopy. This forum seems to be the place to get the best information and I would appreciate any suggestions that members might provide

Welcome to R2R and back to the hobby!!

giphy.gif

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, you made me smile when you said under gravel filter because I remember those perforated plastic trays with the two stand pipes lol, I hadn't thought about them in YEARS lol
Blast from the past for sure!!!

Good luck with your build!!!

OP
OP
C

Colemana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the reef and welcome to R2R! + 1 on the aquarium lighting forum, but if you have specific questions create a post with your lighting specs. Lots of folks here that are happy to help :)

giphy.gif
Thanks...still learning how to navigate that site. My wife likes your penguin and so do I

OP
OP
C

Colemana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, you made me smile when you said under gravel filter because I remember those perforated plastic trays with the two stand pipes lol, I hadn't thought about them in YEARS lol
Blast from the past for sure!!!

Good luck with your build!!!
Thanks, It sure was crude, using air stone for lift and then we upgrade to powerheads :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back