Just starting out, thoughts and tips appreciated

Noah707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, I'm in the process of setting up my first saltwater tank. The display holds 20 gallons and I'm not exactly sure what the uses of a sump are, and if I need one since my tank is so small. However, I do have a couple spare 10 gallons and am quite "handy". For lighting I'm simply using the odyssea t5ho 4 bulb fixture. I'm aware the quality isn't top knotch however it seemed very reasonably priced. For filtration I have two AC's, a 50 and a 70. I made the 70 into a mini refugium, and am using the stock media+some chemi pure for the 50. I haven't decided what powerhead(s) I'm getting yet, although I hear maxi jets and koralias are supposed to be good? Also how much flow should I be going for?

As for stocking I'm pretty set on getting a 6 line, and I'd work my stocking around that. Can I keep a cleaner shrimp if I introduced the 6 line last? And also are there any other fish/invertebrates that I could keep safely with the wrasse. I'm diligent about tank maintenance so water quality shouldn't be an issue, however I hear mixed responses if a 6 line can be kept in a 20 or not. If not any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps are nice in that they give you a place to put your skimmer and any other filtration without them taking up part of your display tank. Sometimes a refugium area is included, but not always. A 20 gallon tank is probably a bit small. Even though 6 line wrasses are quite small as adults, they are very active. A 30 gallon tank or larger is probably better. I also wouldn't guarantee that even a large cleaner shrimp would survive with a 6 line. The wrasse might leave the shrimp alone for a while, but they seem to know when shrimp have just molted and are at their most vulnerable. At that point all bets are off. Maxi-Jet and Korallia powerheads are well loved by many people. As far as the amount of flow you need, that depends on what types of coral you intend on keeping. Many people will use 50X the water volume or more for flow rates. Keep in mind that using set numbers isn't the whole picture. Many tanks perform well with less or more flow.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me put the most simplest but best advice i can give you

RESEARCH

Know about everything your putting into ur tanks from ur rocks to ur sand to ur fish to your equipment. Be patient nothing good has ever came from rushing on this site

liquidg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost is, any bio media that can have anything related to particles or other rubbish reaching it, then your nitrate reduction potential will fail over time as it becomes chocked and leaches hydrogen sulphide from obligate anaerobes to what becomes sulphur, this is with near all reefers tanks live rock and sumps media over the years.
You can not have to much clean external porus varied media, just too little.
Substrates are for those that are really switched on or silly enough to use one and not the novice!
PH controlled, is everything!

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, I'm in the process of setting up my first saltwater tank. The display holds 20 gallons and I'm not exactly sure what the uses of a sump are, (Refugia, nutrient control, the one place go to to hide equipment) and if I need one since my tank is so small. (Not "needed", but it won't hurt to have one, either. I don't have one currently on a 40g.) However, I do have a couple spare 10 gallons and am quite "handy". For lighting I'm simply using the odyssea t5ho 4 bulb fixture. I'm aware the quality isn't top knotch however it seemed very reasonably priced. (If that's what you can afford, don't sweat it. T5s are a tried and true lighting and with the right bulbs (which I suggest you find some new ones if you want some high light corals, Geissman are great bulbs, example.), you can grow wonders.) For filtration I have two AC's, a 50 and a 70. I made the 70 into a mini refugium, and am using the stock media+some chemi pure for the 50. (There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Just make sure you keep your media changed at the intervals your tank needs to) I haven't decided what powerhead(s) I'm getting yet, although I hear maxi jets and koralias are supposed to be good? Also how much flow should I be going for? (Koralia nanos work great. You won't need anything that will blast the sand about. I've owned 2 for a long time now. I currently use them as behind the rocks flow.)
As for stocking I'm pretty set on getting a 6 line, (Become bullies, usually. I would add it last only if you plan on other fish, as they can be territorial little things.) and I'd work my stocking around that. Can I keep a cleaner shrimp if I introduced the 6 line last? And also are there any other fish/invertebrates that I could keep safely with the wrasse. (I would not add sexy shrimp in with the 6. They become lunch usually. I've not heard of an issue with the larger shrimps. But, there is always that possiblity.) I'm diligent about tank maintenance so water quality shouldn't be an issue, however I hear mixed responses if a 6 line can be kept in a 20 or not. If not any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, (Clownfish, gobies, firefish are all great beginner and small tank fish. If you aren't absolutely stuck on having a 6 line, a pygmy/white banded/yellow banded wrasse would be great alternative.)thanks!!

Answers in your reply.

OP
OP
N

Noah707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thanks for the info guys. I'll look into replacing bulbs and after reading some more stories about 6 lines I think I'll stay away. After I get my tank established and cycled I'm thinking of first adding the LR and sand. And then start with a few hermits and snails. Oh yeah and should I use dry/live sand or would a bare bottom tank be better? After I successfully introduce the CUC I'm thinking of adding a firefish, and then after a month or so adding a pair of clowns. One last thing, how much LR should I aim for? Should I do a lb per gallon or more? I know that fire fish spend a lot of time in the rock work. I also guess it depends on the density of my rock, right. Ok, thanks again! Oh and I'm also going to hold off on the sump for now.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thanks for the info guys. I'll look into replacing bulbs and after reading some more stories about 6 lines I think I'll stay away. After I get my tank established and cycled I'm thinking of first adding the LR and sand. And then start with a few hermits and snails. Oh yeah and should I use dry/live sand or would a bare bottom tank be better? (Each have their place. However, sand is part of your biological filtration. It's your workhorse. Research it and make the decision for yourself. You can use dry sand and seed it with "live" sand.) After I successfully introduce the CUC I'm thinking of adding a firefish, and then after a month or so adding a pair of clowns. One last thing, how much LR should I aim for? Should I do a lb per gallon or more? I know that fire fish spend a lot of time in the rock work. I also guess it depends on the density of my rock, right. Ok, thanks again! Oh and I'm also going to hold off on the sump for now. (15-25lbs should be sufficient. General consensus is 1-1.5lbs per gallon or thereabouts.)

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A cryptic six line, aka pink streaked, aka Pseudocheilinops ataenia is a much more reserved wrasse than it's counterpart. I'm not sure why more reefers don't go this route. They have the same benefits as a six-line but are not aggressive in the same way. 20g is on the small side for any wrasse and though it can be done, I'd say it should be left to an experienced reefer

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first recommendation for most new people is an ATO unit. Stability is key in our hobby...and I consider an ATO one of the more important pieces of equipment to help that...

OP
OP
N

Noah707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows if hawkish will go for ornamental shrimp? I know they're supposed to be fairly aggressive but wasn't sure as to whether they'll attack invertebrates regardless of size.

OP
OP
N

Noah707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if I decide to go with led lighting I hear you're supposed to "acclimate" corals to this lighting. Has anyone had to do that and if so how do you do so, it seems like if you kept the leds on really low for a couple weeks the corals would die. ( or however long it takes)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back