Seeking Advice for Setting Up Automated Saltwater Tank Hardware

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently embarked on my journey into the world of saltwater tanks with a Waterbox 150.4 Infinia Reef tank. After successfully setting up the cabinet and tank, I am now diving into the world of hardware and automation. I'm reaching out to the community for advice and assistance, especially in automating my RODI, water top-off, and mixing stations.

As a software engineer, I appreciate automation and simplicity. I also prefer native mobile applications over web-based ones. Currently, I'm torn between the Hydros and Apex Neptune systems and would love your insights on which system would be best suited for my needs.

One specific concern I have is with the lack of alternatives to the Apex DOS'ing pumps on the HYDROS side. I'm open to suggestions if there are any alternatives that work well with the HYDROS system for automating mixing tanks. I'm looking to identify if HYDROS supports non first party extension cables that can extend the range of their 2 and 3 pin DRIVE port cables to 50-100', similar to how Apex DOS'ing pumps can utilize non-active USB extension cables (Example: https://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-apex-xx.html#RR-APEX-100).

My mixing room is located quite a distance from my tank, and I plan to run lines through the ceiling. I'm looking for the right components to prevent siphoning issues, extend my pumps from the controller, etc.

I'm also on the hunt for suitable water storage tanks. I'm looking for options similar to those in this forum post (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/first-build-and-first-reef-tank-425xl-reefer.738773/), preferably in the 55-gallon range. I'm checking out Tractor Supply Co. (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/store_Orlando-FL-32820_560) today, but any other local or online recommendations would be greatly appreciated, as shipping costs from certain sources can be prohibitive.

Everyone's experience and advice in these matters would be incredibly valuable as I embark on this slightly overwhelming journey. Thank you in advance for anyone's assistance!

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with Hydros, but my Neptune gear has been rock solid for the most part.
I ended up purchasing some Apex gear just because there’s more information available on them. They have a longer history and extending a USB cable is in an issue.

Unfortunately, that just seems like the right way to go for now.

Also, I think hydros just announced something to do automatic water testing, but Apex has their trident.

Everything was 10% off at worldwide coral today from their annual sale.

Worldwide core, coral is also helping me purchase my bins as they can buy wholesale and have it shipped to them so it’s really not a bad deal.

Now I need to start looking parts beyond the doser and the bins.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up purchasing some Apex gear just because there’s more information available on them. They have a longer history and extending a USB cable is in an issue.

Unfortunately, that just seems like the right way to go for now.
There's certainly nothing wrong with Neptune gear. It has a very good track record for extended runs. I would recommend buying a pair of spare DOS heads and replace every 12 months or when the calibration is off by more than a few % (something you should do every 6 months or so).

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im all for tank automation, but never really trusted any ATO reservoir filling automation. Once you have one of those solenoids get stuck you wont do it again haha. But if you can set up redundant measures to help mitigate failure then i say go for it!

And a few companies sell extended Apex compatible USB cables. Some apparently 100+ ft.
(Though ive never used them myself)

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im all for tank automation, but never really trusted any ATO reservoir filling automation. Once you have one of those solenoids get stuck you wont do it again haha. But if you can set up redundant measures to help mitigate failure then i say go for it!

And a few companies sell extended Apex compatible USB cables. Some apparently 100+ ft.
(Though ive never used them myself)
I purchased 2 of these guys for my use. Should be here this week.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Master flex pumps (and cole parmer support ,and manuals) is what I would suggest. Even very old ones over any new aquarium grade gear For peristaltic pumps. Unlike hobby grade they resell very well lol

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own dosing pumps using joyreef's guide and webapp, super happy with it. Super cheap and reliable, and I have tons of spare parts to fix it.

You might have fun taking that route, it uses arduinos so as a software engineer if you wanted to diy that portion it would be pretty easy I assume.

OP
OP
T

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest headache so far has been purchasing tanks for my setup.

I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere in the forums, but I found a company called legacy food storage with 55 gallon stackable bins and free US shipping. Stacked with their 10% off coupon, this was at least $300 cheaper than alternatives.

The idea of using gravity to feed (not mix) the salt water tank is something I’m a bit fond of as well.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO but for a highly automated tank (like my own), I think Apex is hands down the way to go.

I can travel for weeks at a time, so My automation is designed to carry my tank for ~6 weeks at a time without me doing anything.

My 150g mixing tanks and sump are in my fish room, located a floor below and across the house from the display.

The apex is down in the fish room where it controls vitals. I have a few extension cords that run from the apex up to the display to control some things, but I actually just won a second apex and will put that up with the display later this fall.

My ATO is gravity fed from RO tank to sump.

I have more detail in my build thread, but happy to answer other questions as well!

Good luck!

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Apex would be my suggestion as well. The community and the systems are mature — well documented.

The FUSION interface is intuitive. The cloud backup/sync systems are robust.

I’ve been using their components for automation for the last 8 years now.

MYosh88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are still looking, US Plastic Corp has a wide variety storage containers. Many it's because of the bulk, but shipping costs are also high here.

I have the Apex controller on my main tank, and the Hydros on my frag tank. I agree that for your needs, the Apex is better. If have not already thought of it, suggest considering the following:
  • Adding the FMM leak detection kit. As expensive as your tank is/will be :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:, an undetected leak could be much more.
  • Adding an I/O breakout box, which will allow you to use mechanical switches to turn on/off parts of the system. Everything is software controllable, but I find the switches to be more convenient. I bought my switches (designed for this application in mind) on eBay.
  • Using an optical sensor inside the skimmer cup to detect overflow. Even after tuning, overflows are inevitable and it's nice to shut the skimmer down before the skimmate spills back into the tank.
  • Speaking of sensors, the first generation optical sensors are known to be finicky, and have a high failure rate (confirmed by my experience). The newer generation sensors may be better, but there are still complaints about some of them. The 3.5 mm jack that is used just does not inspire confidence. For mission critical water top off, I would be careful and monitor things carefully, and possibly add additional redundancy. It probably won't fit your needs, but I use the tried and true Tunze Osmolator.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back