Just want to see what everyone thinks on this....

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i the ONLY one who doesnt care about linage,names and all that who ha! All i care about in a coral is if it looks cool! If it looks nice then ill buy it. I think the reason this hobby cost so much is people putting value on name! Hollister Clothes cost way more then say old navy, but they are one in the same. I think this is now starting to leak into the Reef society. Names are over rated!!!! Just bc Tyree had a coral, WHO CARES??? why are you willing to pay more bc he owned it first? Is he special??? NO, hes a normal guy lol!!! People i think are WAY to caught up in names! Also, how can a coral be a limited edition i think thats the stupiest thing EVER!!! its a freaking living thing lol!! So am i a LE? I guess my new name is LE philip pallifrone:glasses1:

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is where you an i can sometimes disagree.

IMO tubs blue zoas look way better than some other blue zoas i see.

or the tyree watermelon chalice looks way better than a normal watermelon chalice.

however you do bring up a good point. some of the corals... such as the newer named zoas, are just plain stupid. as are the fancy names for half the montiporas out there. i agree.. if they look nice, then ill buy em. problem is.. half the corals i like are "LE" and that makes me miserable.

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No phil your not Limited Edition Phil, your One Of A Kind Phil, That makes you more valuable. I think you hit the nail on its head, if i breed clowns and sold the babies i could sell them for $15-20, and the lfs or professional breeder had the same babies they would sell them for $25-35. Something is wrong here!

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>"lfs or professional breeder had the same babies they would sell them for $25-35. "

the only reason they sell for more, is because suckers like us actually buy them.

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not saying DONT buy a coral with a name dan lol, im saying dont buy the coral JUST for the name, thats stupid! thats like me buying an abercrombie shirt even ifs it ugly just for the name. I think people do that. I think they do that just so they can sell it and have that name! But did it come with a cert saying its from tyree??? NO, so who cares! all im saying is the stupid names raise the cost of coral big time.

92-thanks bro :)

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that you are right about.

however, many of the named corals are in fact nicer looking. for example:

tyrees green toadstool = much better than normal green toadstool. (ORA is up there too)

the names wouldnt mean anything if ppl didnt buy it. but ppl do, so thats y named corals will always be more $$$$$$$

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the corals that I like, for color size etc... Some of the name brand corals actually have better color and success rates due to being aquacultured for so long. I will always buy the aquacultured over the wild collected, yet will not pay $180 for a micro or acan frag.

Also, a BIG alternative to buying LE corals is trading for them!! Its cheaper shipping usually, and thats how Ive gotten all of my nice pieces.

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy the corals that I like, for color size etc... Some of the name brand corals actually have better color and success rates due to being aquacultured for so long. I will always buy the aquacultured over the wild collected, yet will not pay $180 for a micro or acan frag.

Also, a BIG alternative to buying LE corals is trading for them!! Its cheaper shipping usually, and thats how Ive gotten all of my nice pieces.

+1.

i dont have a single coral in my tank anymore that was wild caught. also trading is the way to go... only its very hard to trade for LE pieces when you first start. its important to at least BUY a few, so you have something to actually trade.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea nothing is wild in my take either but i think i would pay for an ora before a tyree because ora has it's name for dependability while tyree has his for looking good

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it has anything to do with names at all. I think it really has to do with rarity. Tyrees name has stuck becuase he has some beautiful pieces. He also has some dogs that nobody pays much attention to. Same goes for my stuff. I have a pink watermelon similar to tyrees and I simply called it OIAB watermelon chalice and it sold on eBay just as well as tyrees for the same amount of money. Same goes for my afterburner chalice and my mummy eye I have listed this week. They only go by the name to identify what the coral is. And that the name is consistant. for example if you just called it a pink chalice, think how many shades of pink chalice there are. But there is only one Tyree watermelon and you all know it when you see it. Just like jjj10342 was saying about the tubs blue zoa. If you just said blue zoa think how many shades of blue zoas there are, I have about 20 in my tank right now. But when I say I have tubs for sell, everyone knows what they are. So in short, I dont think it is the "TYREE" name so much anymore as much as it is "identification".

Okeewanfonokee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole rare, LE works for me. When I took my pistol shrimp back in for trade I tried to convince the guy at the pet store he was a "Rare LE Cherry Red Pistol Limited Selective Harvest Fiji Shrimp" , I actually wrote that on the ziplock bag. Got me 30% off my next purchase. The guy knew it was a joke, but for the bystanders, he let me go on about how the island it was collected from is restricted to harvest one day every 5 years, it was caught at night, sharks always attack the collectors, etc. When the shrimp was put in the tank, he had a crowd of onlookers ).
The names are fun but it gets way to expensive when a LE is added. Hmmm, I can sell my Anthelia as " Okee Tank Raised Select LE Anthelia" that should be worth? $2

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it has anything to do with names at all. I think it really has to do with rarity. Tyrees name has stuck becuase he has some beautiful pieces. He also has some dogs that nobody pays much attention to. Same goes for my stuff. I have a pink watermelon similar to tyrees and I simply called it OIAB watermelon chalice and it sold on eBay just as well as tyrees for the same amount of money. Same goes for my afterburner chalice and my mummy eye I have listed this week. They only go by the name to identify what the coral is. And that the name is consistant. for example if you just called it a pink chalice, think how many shades of pink chalice there are. But there is only one Tyree watermelon and you all know it when you see it. Just like jjj10342 was saying about the tubs blue zoa. If you just said blue zoa think how many shades of blue zoas there are, I have about 20 in my tank right now. But when I say I have tubs for sell, everyone knows what they are. So in short, I dont think it is the "TYREE" name so much anymore as much as it is "identification".

I didnt just mean tyree i ment all names. Like u said i have seen blues that LOOK JUST LIKE TUBBS, u really could not tell the difference and i can get a frag of those for 10 bucks for lik 15-20bucks, good luck getting TUB blues for that price, even thou they look the same they are 4 times the price bc of the name

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why most of the time I call them wannabes. Like every so often I list my Darth Maul Wannabes and they do just fine, but People wouldnt have gave them a second look if they werent looking for some Darth Mauls. Lets just call it Marketing 101. thats really all it is. I know this is beating a dead horse, but still the fact is...Buy what you like and pay what you can afford and leave the rest alone!!!!

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahah i like that OIAB, its true, but there are some people like me still left who im never really looking for anything, its more like when i see something cool i buy it! And to be honest i promised my self to never pay anything like 20 bucks a polyp. But maybe thats just me :)

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay well i would say i do sometimes think the names are helpful. i do think with the names its nice cause you have an identication you can use for swaps trades etc. or if you want to sell them. and i have noticed many of the ones with names are usually really nice. a lot of the ones i see that are just really plain and a litttle boring usually dont seem to have names. so i guess i like the names just cause its nice to know what you have.

Back