Just want to see what everyone thinks on this....

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the name shouldnt have any impact on you one way or another! Why bother? At the very least if you did stumble across a website and saw something you wanted you would know what to ask for instead of coming here and saying "Anyone see any of those pink looking polyps with the bright green cneter and have sparkels and circles around the edges?".

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol i guess, im not saying i disagree with the names, i think thats the confusion maybe i came across or said something wrong. I think the names are great for idenitfying things, i just thing people play off the names to much. For example, if i have 10 nuke greens and u want 3, but the thing i like from u is just some Radioactive dragon eyes and i want 3, well i would do that trade bc im trading for something i like. Most people would be like NO way i like your RDE's but my Nucs are "worth" more. Even if they like the item i have they wont do the trade bc its not worth the same. All i was saying is TO ME, a coral is a coral rare or not if i like what u got and u want a "rare" thing from me IDC ill do the trade any ways

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, thats good to know. Since thats the case when you get some nuke greens I'll trade you 2 to 1 for my radioactive dragon eyes. Then we'll both be happy...WOO HOOO!!!

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol such a smart butt lol how did i know u where gonna basically ONLY read that part hahaha thanks perry

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of the things you buy online are sight unseen, lineage helps because you know what to expect. some one could sell you a blue acro and you get it and it never colors up. but if you buy a garf bonsai you know what you are getting

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well thats the thing, i would not buy it if it didnt look good,im not the type of person to buy something and wait for it to color up, bc who knows if it will. I buy stuff that already looks good on the eyes :)

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been beaten to death many times. It's called free enterprise and the root is in the human trait to be competitive. Everyone wants to win but most people don't know what game it is they're playing. So they try to get a fancy car, a bigger house, nicer clothes, etc, etc so they appear to be winning.

The name doesn't have so much to do with it as the desire to have something they perceive as better than anyone else. Thus the price tag leads to exclusivity, rarity and desire.

As long as people are playing the game, sellers will be there to accommodate them.

Jack

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jack that was said perfect, basically how i wanted to say it +99999999999999
for that statement i dont think it could have been said better

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think names sell corals, but i do think it peaks peoples interest and if people like it then itll sell and as demand goes down because the price is too high then the price will drop
the problem is in this hobby, theres a lot of people that have money or willing to spend the money for what they want...like me!
what sucks is everything you like being expensive and not willing to buy something "similar" if it doesnt look exactly like it
im more than willing to buy a wild piece if it looks exactly like what i want for less but the problem is i never find those pieces and the people that do find them end up putting labels on them and then they turn into "LE"

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i have to agree with you phil i dont think i would pay 20 bucks a polyp for zoos. that just seems outrageous! i guess i will just have to get lucky and find the ones i like for a bargain or i guess i just wont have them. if i spent 20 on one polyp and then it died i would be ticked !

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i agree dont get me wrong i would trade for those more expensive ones but no way in heck im paying to be honest even 10 bucks a polyp

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got interested in corals the name meant something. I liked the Tubb's Superman Monti because I could see the SAME coral in different peoples tanks and notice it held its colors under different conditions. Then the maricultured supermans came around and people would call it a superman because it was "blue with red polyps" in some tanks and purple and brown in others. Now if you buy a superman monti without lineage it's a gamble whether it will hold it's colors or not.

I like the names and lineage because I can see a certain coral in many peoples tanks, all frags and genetically identical, and know what I'm getting. When other places are just trying to add a name to sell a coral when there is no lineage it just messes this all up. There's plenty of corals I won't buy without lineage like the Oregon Tort, but still some I'd buy because they look nice. It just ticks me off when someone tries to say what they have is a "real deal" when it's just some wild colony with no proven qualities like one that's been aquacultured for years.

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question to you is how do you REALLY know if its a tyree or tubbs? Its not like they have a cert or auth saying it is. Thats why i dont really trust the name

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what the lineage is. If I really want something enough to spend the money, I generally go to the source and send them a PM...gotta love having the original namers RC id on Zoaid. Otherwise, many places who specialize in having aquacultured frags can generally tell you who they got their original piece from and the history behind it if it's the real deal. Many times that history is on the description as well.

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phil, nobody is going to trade you squat if you dont have some killer stuff yourself to trade. Anyone that has the liniage stuff or the name brand stuff chances are they are far advanced past the plain jane everyday looking polyps. Dont get me wrong I still have them in my tank too. But that defeats the purpose. People buy the expensive polyps to grow out and trade for better stuff. Better meaning LE or other name brand corals. Why would I spend $25 for a purple death polyp, grow it out for a year to have 10-15 polyps just to turn around and trade it for a $1-2 polyp of a pink,blue,green.red or any other polyp unless it is a rarity. If I am going to trade you my $25 polyp I want a $25 polyp in return. Thats the point of the whole name game. Thats the hobby part of the name game. If your not willing to pay the price you probaly wont ever get anything special because chances are you dont have anything comperable to trade....Make sense?

OP
OP
oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
special is in the eye of the beholder, 3 lfs owners in rochester have said there favorite coral is GSP, like i said it may not be speical to you but idc if it looks good idc if it has name or linage

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 43 38.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 58 52.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back