Just When I Thought I Had QT Under Control . . . Bacteria?!

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too little, too much, too late after my overreaction to the tang hiding in a PVC, in the flow of the powerhead.

My beautiful powderblue, who I purchased with his spine showing and was sleek, swift and beautiful except for his high-speed breathing ... is gone.

Have to go to work, else I won't have money to pay the bills, eat or reef (not sure which is most important, there . . . ). 20 gallon water change is mixed, and will happen tonight - then re-test copper.

Based on the tang's symptoms, I was hearing the "VELVET" alarm screaming in my brain, regardless of what color the water in the test vial was showing; "How could it still be here?!"

I'm hearing other things screaming in my brain now.

This hobby will either humble you or humiliate you - when it isn't intriguing and enthralling you . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right.

20 gallon water change happened, and copper test now looks more like this (I take these on the back windowsill, to take advantage of what's left of the sunlight, but my phone's flash wants to fire anyway...):
20170630_191636.jpg

Kind of looks like I might be able to get away with another 20 gallons ... but I don't want any dinospores out and swimming around. (I'm not sure the flash isn't lightening the card, while darkening the vial...)

Still hoping to transfer all the remaining fish to a clean 40-B mid-late next week.

~Bruce

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That still looks pretty dark, but I don't know if the camera might be playing tricks with the color.

I would take it outside, and view the vial under (but not in direct) natural sunlight. Like under a patio or something.

OP
OP
Maritimer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the remaining fish (Regal, striped parrot, orange-spot blenny and two Talbot's damsels) have been transferred to the 40-B since Friday evening. They're eating well, looking good, and seem relieved to be out of copper.

The 75 is currently running on hot water, bleach, and vinegar, and will remain so for several (24? 48? Until I have enough time and energy to drain it again??) hours. Thought I heard some tomonts and bacteria screaming in agony for a minute, but the sound seems to have died away now . . .

~Bruce, with gratitude to all

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 78.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back