Juvenile beauties: Is there a juvenile fish that you wish wouldn't grow up?

Is there a juvenile fish that you wish wouldn't grow up?

• Blueface angelfish (Pomacanthus xanthometopon)

Votes: 34 20.2%
  • Spanish hogfish (Bodianus rufus)

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Nurse shark (Ginglymostoma cirratum)

Votes: 34 20.2%
  • Other

Votes: 93 55.4%

• Total voters

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another for the better

Chocolate tang:

Juv:

1674151280388.png

To this:

1674151313357.png

To adult:

1674151338857.png
When I first started reefing, I got a chocolate tang thinking it was a yellow tang. 1 year later it turned into the monstrosity that is the adult picture. Learned my lesson on doing research before purchasing fish :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When I first started reefing, I got a chocolate tang thinking it was a yellow tang. 1 year later it turned into the monstrosity that is the adult picture. Learned my lesson on doing research before purchasing fish :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Its one of my favorite tangs

chocolate1.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juvenile beauties: Is there a juvenile fish that you wish wouldn't grow up?

Many marine fish enter the aquarium hobby as juveniles - these fish are not recently hatched fry nor sexually mature adults. Some of these have attractive coloration, patterning, and even behavior but often lose these qualities as they mature. For example, the blueface angelfish (Pomacanthus xanthometopon) with its juvenile coloration that fades with age, the Spanish hogfish (Bodianus rufus) acts as a cleaner fish as a juvenile, the nurse shark (Ginglymostoma cirratum) can grow over 10 feet long but is sold at smaller sizes. Would you prefer fish that never grew up and retained their juvenile qualities? If so, tell us which juvenile fish you would want to try in the thread below and tell us why!

WikiJuvBluefaceAngelfish.jpeg

Public domain image from Wikipedia

A special thanks to @WheatToast for their suggestion and material for today’s question of the day. If you have recommendations that you would like to be considered for QOTDs in the future, please send me a PM. Thanks!

I remember the joke about the Florida "ruler" used by collectors to measure nurse sharks back in the 1970's - sharks sold as 12 inches would somehow magically grow during shipment to 24" (grin).

Pinnatus batfish are the best example of this I think! Amazingly beautiful at 2" tall, but oh so very delicate. If you did manage to get one to grow to adult size, you ended up with a huge fish that is not really different than a much more hardy orbicularis bat....brown and ugly.

Jay

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange shoulder tang. Beautiful as a juvenile!
I’d argue they are far more beautiful later as adults .
the transition between when they still have a light yellow tinge but the 2 tone grey along with the darker orange steak …
One of my favourite fish .
A few beauty juv fish come to mind .
emperor angelfish although it’s far more rewarding watching him change from juv to adult . I haven’t experience watching the change yet …

orange shoulder . Mine was yellow when I got it . And now mostly adult colours .

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back