Juvenile blue hippo - needing advice

Lilnoelle80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a juvenile (~1.5 in) blue hippo ready to leave quarantine. It’s been happy in a 20g quarantine tank with a melanurus wrasse and black Molly.
I had initially intended to put it in my 125g mixed reef that already has a blue powder, chocolate mimic, and sailfin tang in it as well as a flame angel, maroon clown, a couple pajama cardinals and a divided blue leopard wrasse.
This tank has had its current inhabitants for about 3 months but had been running for about 5 months and is doing well after a rocky start. Apart from the clownfish, it’s always been a peaceful tank.
Now I am second guessing this decision as the fish seems so small compared to the other inhabitants. Although I did add the flame angel about a month ago (marginally bigger) and no one picked on it.
I also have a 210 FOWLR with a Queen angel, orange shoulder tang, purple tang, sohal tang, clown trigger, niger trigger, black and white heniochus,
I also have a 54g LPS tank with a tomini tang, a small blizzard clown, lawnmower blenny, and a couple firefish.

Thoughts? I’d consider moving the powder blue to my 210g if I need to. It’s gotten a long with those fish in the past.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be ok. Different genus tang. Try it and see. Have a fish trap ready if it doesn’t work out. I’ve only seen minimal aggression between hippo tang and zebrasoma and acanthurus genus

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an acrylic acclimation box?

When adding tangs to tangs or fish generally to a high stock tank, they really are a necessity in my opinion for the safety of all.
Get yourself and acclimation box / fish trap 2 for 1 and you will have some peace of mind

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the top comments however, the “Different genus tangs” comment I disagree with, it’s not necessarily about the genus, but more to the body shape and colours.
They have elongated bodies to knock out the 220g with the Orange shoulder (A. olivasceus) and Sohal - Those two would try kill him. Especially the Sohal with them being the most aggressive tang in the family (A. Sohal)
The 160 may work but the Powder blue being dominantly blue would have to have an eye on, the chocolate mimic being elongated could be an issue but they are the more peaceful tangs in that genus (A. Pyroferus).

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back