JW's Custom 150G SPS build

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Long time lurker and have learned tons from reading threads on R2R.

My very first post and would like to take everyone along the journey of my new build.

Renovations of the flat are still in progress and tank will be ready by the end of June.

Build Details:
  • 120x60x80CM Display Tank - Front and right side will be Starfire PPG. (Tall tank because I couldn't have a longer tank)
  • Left and back panel of tank with be black glass with black vinyl. Bottom will be white vinyl. ( Barebottom! )
  • 3ft tall steel stand
  • Closed loop and over the top returns - First time for everything and design was left to the tank builder. My only requirement was FLOW!
  • Closed loop pump will be Ecotech Vectra and return pump will be RO VarioS
  • Custom sump with separate tank for refugium and ATO
  • Reusing NYOS 160 Skimmer
  • DIY Lighting due to tank depth - 8 Citizen CLU048-1212C4-B455 and Custom UV LED or 2 48" T5 (Inspired from @CoralFragZ )
  • Marco Rocks
  • Reusing Matrix and Siporax
  • 2 Part dosing with DIY mix of trace elements. - No water changes and will rely on ATI or AF ICP testing
For those who are wondering, the cabinet next to the tank will house the chiller and also serve as a shoe cabinet.

I'm based in Hong Kong where living space is $$$.

Pictures are worth a thousand words and more than happy for everyone to opine.

UnderConstruction.jpg
Final.jpg
Tank1.jpg
Tank2.jpg
Tank3.jpg
Tank4.jpg
Tank5.jpg
Tank6.jpg
Tank7.jpg
Tank8.jpg
Tank9.jpg
Tank10.jpg
Tank11.jpg
TankStand.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad This is a good friend of mine. He’s been in the game for years and is moving and upgrading. He just joined r2r. Please show his build some love. His tank is being custom built and is going to be a nice closed loop system.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This looks like an amazing, well thought out system! Do you have any specific plans (or at least a general direction) for the aquascaping or livestock?

OP
OP
J

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like an amazing, well thought out system! Do you have any specific plans (or at least a general direction) for the aquascaping or livestock?
Thanks! I've always wanted a lifted aqua scape like Evan Luo's tank but might just stick with the old school 2 mountains look.

Got some fellow reefers willing to help out. I'm far from creative and my 2yr old is probably more creative than I am.

Challenge here is the tank is tall and open for ideas.

OP
OP
J

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need fiberglass dowels/rods I think for this tall scape for sure. Def use the height and spread it out front to back as much as makes sense
Thanks. I've thought about the dowels to secure a tall structure too. This scape stuff is too technical with the rule of 3rds and negative space. Way over my paygrade!

OP
OP
J

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your house phone disappeared from the rendering, are you going to leave it in place?
Nothing gets passed you! Phone is basically an intercom system which we're thinking about re-routing to the cellphone. No clue what will happen with that and will let the wife deal with that.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef,nice build, along for the ride ,maybe bring some friends along ,and they will do the same..;):cool:
@F i s h y @MERKEY @najer to name a few..:)

OP
OP
J

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an awesome build! Mixed reef, LPS, SPS or zoa dominant?

Thanks for including that first picture.....the rest of them made me feel very inadequate! :D :p
Thanks! SPS dominant for sure and focusing on low maintenance. Definitely don't plan on snorkeling on a daily basis.

Must admit I felt like a newbie when I initially received the build sheet.

Closed loops and over the top returns are completely new to me.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! SPS dominant for sure and focusing on low maintenance. Definitely don't plan on snorkeling on a daily basis.

Must admit I felt like a newbie when I initially received the build sheet.

Closed loops and over the top returns are completely new to me.
You’re a total noob. I’ll give you free coaching for a month

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’re a total noob. I’ll give you free coaching for a month
See ,no worries a month from Scott,is like 6 months... ;Hilarious

OP
OP
J

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't had much time but here are some updates:

Stand is installed but the cabinetry is crap and will get a better picture after cabinet maker is done with the final product.

I have no artistic bone in my body so I wont embarrass myself online. Paid LFS to build my scape with Marco rock and very happy with it. It is currently in 2 pieces and hope I don't have an accident dropping that in.

Hope to provide updates over the weekend with the tank delivered and moved into place.

1626276470097.png

1626276491537.png

1626276509517.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back