K1 Nano Skimmer Noise Level...

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Coralvue/R2R...

I just purchased a K1 Nano skimmer for my Innovative Marine Lagoon 25. This came super highly recommended and I am/was excited to get it in and get it setup.

I have it in compartment #2 sitting on the bottom (using the sections cups) and it isn't rattling against the chamber walls. The problem is...this thing is EASILY the noisiest thing in my house. I can hear it two rooms over. The only saving grace is that my wife and I sleep with a white noise machine on and that drowns this out.

Is this normal? I even disassembled my pump to make sure there wasn't a problem with the impeller... It all looked fine. See then video:

This first video is from 10' away or so... It's clearly audible. (please excuse my mess). The second video is right up on it, none of the interactions on the top of the silencer are drilled through, is this normal? It quiets down if I close the hole on the bottom, but it also stops skimming. Any suggestions?? I'm not expecting it to be silent, but it's more like a power tool constantly running in my office.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aaron Shapiro Hey, brother! I am sjoooooooo sorry for taking so long to respond. I think our support team may have become accustomed to me doing most of the replies here. I've had a tab open to your posts since Sunday and was finally coming around to close it out ... only I happneded to check our Instagram before coming here... and, lo, and behold. There you were! I am relieved to hear that you've sought help from support and that they have provided a possible solution. This is the first time I've heard such a noisy nano skimmer, let alone it being ours. That noise sure sounded strange to me. I would have been alarmed as well and I think you did the right thing. If that isn't the issue, as you mentioned on IG, they'll try another approach. But they do the best diagnostic they can and are usually right! Keep their email address handy ([email protected]) as well as mine ([email protected]) if you need help again with this or any other matters.

EDIT: I didn't finish my thought here and posted something mean for another customer. lol My bad!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aaron Shapiro

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aaron Shapiro Hey, brother! I am sjoooooooo sorry for taking so long to respond. I think our support team may have become accustomed to me doing most of the replies here. I've had a tab open to your posts since Sunday and was finally coming around to close it out ... only I happed to check our Instagram before coming here... and, lo, and behold. There you were. I am relieved to hear that you've sought help from support and that they have provided a possible solution. This is the first time I've heard such a noisy nano skimmer, let alone that one. However, that skimmer hasn't sold out!

Yes! Thank you. The new silencer should arrive tomorrow. Fingers crossed it solves the issue. The skimmer is preforming really well so I’m eager to get it sorted out.

your support team has been very responsive to I’m sure we’ll get it fixed.

Thanks!

-a

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Thank you. The new silencer should arrive tomorrow. Fingers crossed it solves the issue. The skimmer is preforming really well so I’m eager to get it sorted out.

your support team has been very responsive to I’m sure we’ll get it fixed.

Thanks!

-a

I updated my post because I am pretty sure I posted a response meant for another customer on accident while multitasking ... cuz that made zero sense at the end there!

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Coralvue/R2R...

I just purchased a K1 Nano skimmer for my Innovative Marine Lagoon 25. This came super highly recommended and I am/was excited to get it in and get it setup.

I have it in compartment #2 sitting on the bottom (using the sections cups) and it isn't rattling against the chamber walls. The problem is...this thing is EASILY the noisiest thing in my house. I can hear it two rooms over. The only saving grace is that my wife and I sleep with a white noise machine on and that drowns this out.

Is this normal? I even disassembled my pump to make sure there wasn't a problem with the impeller... It all looked fine. See then video:

This first video is from 10' away or so... It's clearly audible. (please excuse my mess). The second video is right up on it, none of the interactions on the top of the silencer are drilled through, is this normal? It quiets down if I close the hole on the bottom, but it also stops skimming. Any suggestions?? I'm not expecting it to be silent, but it's more like a power tool constantly running in my office.

Did you get this figured out? I just put mine up, and it is unbelievable how loud it is.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back