K1 skimmer

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump on my K1 skimmer just failed just two months out of warranty. Since a new pump is $35, nearly half the skimmer price, is this to be expected. If so should I find a different skimmer brand. It sad because up to now I've liked the skimmer.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry to here that your skimmer pump failed. The Maxspect skimmers are usually solid - I don't remember seeing negative reviews on the K1s and just did a search for common issues or failures and am not seeing any trends. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go with the skimmer.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump on my K1 skimmer just failed just two months out of warranty. Since a new pump is $35, nearly half the skimmer price, is this to be expected. If so should I find a different skimmer brand. It sad because up to now I've liked the skimmer.

I am very sorry to hear about your trouble. The K1 Nano is an extremely popular choice for small tanks since it can fit in the back chambers of many all-in-one style aquariums. Pump failure isn't a problem I hear about often. You are welcome to email our support staff at [email protected] (if you haven't already done so) to try and sweet talk them since you're out of warranty. I can't make any guarantees obviously (not my department), but it's worth a shot! Fortunately, we have replacement pumps in stock for $36 if you end up needing to pick one up.

OP
OP
J

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very sorry to hear about your trouble. The K1 Nano is an extremely popular choice for small tanks since it can fit in the back chambers of many all-in-one style aquariums. Pump failure isn't a problem I hear about often. You are welcome to email our support staff at [email protected] (if you haven't already done so) to try and sweet talk them since you're out of warranty. I can't make any guarantees obviously (not my department), but it's worth a shot! Fortunately, we have replacement pumps in stock for $36 if you end up needing to pick one up.
I did reach out to support and they pretty much told me I was out of warranty so they wouldn't do anything. They did tell me about buying a new pump.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did reach out to support and they pretty much told me I was out of warranty so they wouldn't do anything. They did tell me about buying a new pump.

Well, it was certainly worth a try! So are you going swap out the pump or buy a whole new skimmer?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a K1 myself which has been problem free although getting a Little noisy. I would hope the quality is in place that it should last at least two years.

OP
OP
J

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a K1 myself which has been problem free although getting a Little noisy. I would hope the quality is in place that it should last at least two years.
I thought it was a good skimmer too. But the pump, not so good apparently. I guess I was also surprised that the company would do nothing for me just two months out of warranty. I at least expected to be sold the pump at a reduced price.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I thought it was a good skimmer too. But the pump, not so good apparently. I guess I was also surprised that the company would do nothing for me just two months out of warranty. I at least expected to be sold the pump at a reduced price.
I would hope for the same. One year on a pump is average warranty but does not express a quality product. 8 weeks after warranty is not much past to be ignored I Know As a company, I would spend $35 to retain a customer/consumer confidence in my product

OP
OP
J

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I gotta say it's got me rethinking my plan to purchase their new controller when it comes out. Maybe there's a Neptune in my future after all. Oh well.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back