OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to burst your bubble, but that section gets a lot less flow because it's a fuge from what I remember. I almost bought that one for my 90 before I built one...
I did some more research and i see your point now. The way i read it originally got me twisted up i guess. Space cadet over here. Guess the skimmer is going in the huge section. Thanks pops. Again. ;Doctor;Shy;Smuggrin

Right now the plan for this whole set up is going to be a bit, well, unconventional. I like pushing ideas and boundaries. Call me a dreamer. Doodling has begun.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before it got too far... i decided to bless the tank with candles and had a moment of silence, a reefers prayer, and a lavender insent smoking it out. Couldnt find sage.

Am i nuts?

20201128_145532.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before it got too far... i decided to bless the tank with candles and had a moment of silence, a reefers prayer, and a lavender insent smoking it out. Couldnt find sage.
Prettyyyyy!

Am i nuts?

That depends. Do you get good PAR from them old fashioned lights?

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you water tested the tank yet?
Yes. Plugged the drains and tested the inside of the overflow as well. Did all that when i cleaned it out. Love how you are checking up on my potential goof ups and self made murphies.
Jack Nicholson Thank You GIF

I didnt know you cared :p

.... lol

Rich,
Your scape looks great... ;Wideyed

What are the dimensions of your new cube?
Welcome Freddie! And thanks. The rock work i found from a guy who has been diving his whole life made it easy. Just had to get the right juxtapositions. Im happy with the scape too.

24 x 24 x 20. SCA 50g on the dims.
Starfire glass.

Prettyyyyy!

I will borrow @thejuice24 's par meter once it is time to design and build the canopy. It will likely be the last step. Deciding light height should be simple, as these came off my 125g 6ft with a 20" depth. Lights were set to 11.5" on that set up... heres the par map and pur% i whipped up as we did it...
20190513_215305.jpg

I could only afford two hydras at the time i set it up. So i planned the scape to end up with each end packed, and i had NPS dendros, gorgs, etc in center alone under 2 fluval marine programmable 48" strips.

Heres the last full FTS of the 125 after 2 years before i torn it down 2 months ago. I ran AB+ modified with boosted reds and greens to assist my sps with lower par and more color.
20200814_202111.jpg

That was my reboot of my 1st reef. A 55g that i had a rookie outbreak in. The 125 ran fallow and then i drained it, filled my living room with 4 rubbermaids to house it all. Spent the next 4 days drilled and plumbing the sump. Was a great learning experience.

Hopefully this cube will result even better now that im a bit more seasoned in the hobby. Time shall tell.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prettyyyyy!

Oh man i just got the pun, i think. ;Eggonface ;Hilarious yes, the candles will supplement the shadowing issues with running just LEDs. Ill get some aluminum foil and make a diy reflector and we will have major MH candle power aiding in the PAR fight. Haha

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't wait to see the controller for 'em! You know, some decent ramp up time, spectral change, etc. :)
Its made of mud-mortared twigs and acorns for adjustment knobs. Hand spun twine is tough to wire jumpers with. ;)

Planning sump and plumbing, and i went down to the storage room, and bump into something @Raege gave me years ago, literally. When he uograded his sump i was getting ready to build mine for the 125. We dubbed it the 'sump of shame' jokingly. I never used it, and i just for s&g decided to bring it up to see what it looked like next to the R200...
20201129_154835.jpg

Well, same height. 2" shorter in length. Trying to hatch a plan to plumb into my current sump to give me the 25g more or so i wanted to get around 100g twv.

And it means the "fuge" section of the RS200 may become my acclimation / timeout booth for naughty listers. Its about 10x9" deep, stands about 17" tall. No exits, just overflow and 3 bars across a 2" inlet next to the sock chamber. So low flow.
20201129_155100.jpg

Big enough for the fish ill be introducing. The options are endless if I add it in. Would result in a sort-of cube sump to match the top.
20201129_154818.jpg

Decisions decisions.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knew the sump o'shame could have a shot of being wet again even if only 1%.
Oh, its happening. Just got done with a 2hr session of measuring tape, math ratios, and a straight edge.

Please help me critique this. Find the holes. Tweak time?

Easy there Keith.. no rush. :D
20201129_200031.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change for the Good kaizen Taichi would be proud to visit this Gemba
woody harrelson GIF

If the skimmer fits in the original area I would probably keep it there myself and use the larger, former fuge section as the jail. I mean come on Rich this is modern times you can't cram a prisoner in a tiny box anymore ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious
The isolation chamber has almost no flow. Its designed to be a fuge.

If the skimmer was in there, wouldnt get enough flow to be efficient as its capable of. Otherwise i would be doing it that way.

I was warned about going barefoot at work, but here are some recent sketches of my daughter Molly.

3EB8020F-E47F-4D18-9816-BD95EC689432.jpeg

5B1AF27D-BDB7-4D02-B75D-654391174F5A.jpeg
Little cave feet. :)

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Sweet Cheeks!

Good thing your a better engineer than a reefer!

Now I need to go do water changes and GHA removal! :cool::cool::cool::cool: Yes I live in a glass house!
Thanks pookie.

I love the punishment. Smooches. Seeya in a few hours to move the 125 to the spare bedroom. Maybe we can hold hands and watch HGTV.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found another hidden gem i forgot about... the worry of splash and water issues outside the sump has been solved.

Fits under the sumps perfect. 1-2" all the way around the perimeter clearance. A little scrub in the tub, blue 42, orange 409, vinegar, elbow grease, hut, hut, hike... Touchdown.
20201201_185306.jpg

Now if i choose, i have the ability to set up leak detection via apex down the road. Christmas came early. The sump o shame and and the base catch pan. Meant to be. I swear. This is my path. Its gotta be.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is all this apex talk from you lol. Great piece of mind when not around the tank. Month back I got woke up from apex saying skimmer is using mega watts. Found the string from Carbon bag stuck around the impeller. Awesome 1am remove and clean skimmer while trying to remove the string

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back