Kalk or 2 Part?

calli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, for the past bit I have been struggling with pH and it has now gradually gotten to a level I am beginning to be concerned about.

Shortly after I started the tank (June 2021) I had put the kalkwasser on a very low dose in an attempt to keep the pH up. I did gradually add more and now am around 1000ml a day on a 60g system. Going back about 4 months or so I was in a range of 7.8-8.1, and I have recently noticed the ph starting to decline and now in the range of 7.7-7.9. I have added a 1/2" airline out to a window, that stays cracked the 1/2 or so to let the vinyl hose out. I also run an air stone in the sump 24/7 and a Bubble Magus Elite 5 Skimmer. I have been mixing my kalkwasser with 2 teaspoons per gallon and it seems to have a pH of 12.0. Additionally, my pH in my ATO container is 9.5 and that is stagnate water.

I have been asking around a bit about other options and I understand I could try putting a CO2 scrubber on the system to help with the pH, however, I didn't really want to get into another media that would require replacement. "IF" this is a last resort I can understand however, someone had mentioned that I may have a build up of excess carbonic acid in the system.

60g System:
Alk: 9.0dkh
CA: 490
Mag: 1350
No3: 7
Po4: .12

Question, would it make sense to switch to a two part solution in the meantime until my alkalinity and calcium consumption becomes higher and where kalkwasser would make an impact on pH?

AND/or should I take the air stone off? I ask this as I have read that this could also cause you pH to drop in an environment with high levels of carbon dioxide in the room.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do both. A lot of people on here seem to add kalk to their 2 part for just a pH boost and not necessarily for alk or calcium. I would also check to make sure the way you are measuring pH isn't off or needing to be recalibrated. You could always do the CO2 scrubber if you don't mind swapping out the media semi-regularly.

Also the airstone won't do anything for pH.

OP
OP
C

calli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do both. A lot of people on here seem to add kalk to their 2 part for just a pH boost and not necessarily for alk or calcium. I would also check to make sure the way you are measuring pH isn't off or needing to be recalibrated. You could always do the CO2 scrubber if you don't mind swapping out the media semi-regularly.

Also the airstone won't do anything for pH.
Yeah, I have calibrated that pH probe so many times .. lol yanking hair at this point. I do like this option and thought that too. Just dial back the Kalk slowly and add the Soda Ash/Calcium 2 part slowly in.

I also, was told to try running an alk of 9.5-10, however, I get worried about ticking corals off if it gets much higher.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recalibrate the pH meter if the pH has recently declined.

there are many ways to raise pH, and there is no clear best way. Very high pH alk additives works, so does fresh air the room (assuming you have good aeration) or fresh air or low CO2 air to a skimmer. So does growing macroalgae.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months ago would have been the start of winter, roughly. So that makes sense.
Is the low pH causing problems in your tank? A lot of us don't measure pH.

OP
OP
C

calli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months ago would have been the start of winter, roughly. So that makes sense.
Is the low pH causing problems in your tank? A lot of us don't measure pH.
Yeah, I have seen some LPS such as a torch I have where, it looks like the branch part of the coral is gone and looking like the Polyp is glued directly to the plug. Not sure if there is another issue however, this could make sense as corals skeletons are not growing as strong or as fast or even reversing. Not a scientist but something to think about.

My last system was an 80g lagoon and I used two part, I never had pH issues and was more around the 7.9 - 8.0 as the low for the day.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back