Kalkwasser / Big container / Need to stir?

I agree. Do not stir a reservoir after initial mixing. Keep it closed and unstirred. I did that from a 120 gallon reservoir formed from 3 brute cans plumbed together.
I'm sorry if you've addressed this somewhere else. I've searched and not really found it, but how exactly are you mixing your kalk? I assume you have some sort of pump plumbed in running through the 3 cans?
 
I'm sorry if you've addressed this somewhere else. I've searched and not really found it, but how exactly are you mixing your kalk? I assume you have some sort of pump plumbed in running through the 3 cans?

I tried several ways over the years, including a powerhead in each can that I'd run for a little bit when adding new water and calcium oxide or hydroxide. Most recently, I'd use a large piece of plastic pipe to manually stir until I reached the desired conductivity (measures potency). Usually took a few minutes, then I'd let it settle and leave it alone until the next refill.
 
I tried several ways over the years, including a powerhead in each can that I'd run for a little bit when adding new water and calcium oxide or hydroxide. Most recently, I'd use a large piece of plastic pipe to manually stir until I reached the desired conductivity (measures potency). Usually took a few minutes, then I'd let it settle and leave it alone until the next refill.
That’s exactly how I mix my limewater.

I stir it with a piece of 1” pvc schedule 40 (about 4’ long) for a few minutes…
once it looks nice and dissolved I install the lid and I’m done
 
I read/heard that some vinegar make the kalk mix better. Is it good to do this? If so, how much vinegar to add?
 
I read/heard that some vinegar make the kalk mix better. Is it good to do this? If so, how much vinegar to add?

It does allow one to dissolve more, but remember that vinegar will have an organic carbon dosing effect that may or may not be desirable.
 
I never cleaned my kalk barrels until I took the tank down. Probably more than 15 years.

You will still get some precipitate in the intermediate reservoir from calcium carbonate precipitating, but certainly less, and what you suggest seems workable. I personally think it sounds unnecessarily complicated (and expensive), to use both a stirrer and two reservoirs compared to a single settled reservoir).
I missed your reply Randy, thank you for your input.
I should have mentioned that 90% of the equipment I already have from a previous build. I would have to purchase would be a secondary reservoir to hold unmixed RODI for mixing saltwater and feed the Kalk reservoir.
But now that I have gotten into the build a bit, I do have room in my sump for the Kalk Stirrer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 41 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new