Kalkwasser bottoming out phosphate?

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2016
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
579
Location
Washington
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi a few days ago I started dripping fully saturated kalkwasser into my 50 gallon and my phosphates have been at 0 since. Im currently dripping around 3ml/min. Before I started dosing I was consistently at .03 ppm using only a large skimmer. Is it possible for the kalk to drop my phosphates so quickly?
 
Not to my knowledge. Maybe a false reading or maybe more stable parameters led to more uptake of N and P?
 
Ok it’s possible that the combination of high pH (8.5 midday) and kalk is causing them to bottom out.
I’m also dosing sodium phosphate around 5 ml/day. 1ml=.024 concentration.
 
Im sure randy has a much more in depth answer, but yes it is possible, esp dosing 3ml per minute.

To my knowledge it can cause PO4 to precipitate out as calcium phosphate which is not bioavailable.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new