Kalkwasser in ato question

Juice780

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to start using kalkwasser in my ato. I have read the pump needs to be elevated off the bottom so you don’t suck the sediment in. What are y’all using to do this?

KrustyKrab305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use kalk in my ato which is a brute trash bin with a cobalt mj1200 and about 20gal on topoff water. In my case I use filter floss and wrap the intake strainer so no sediment gets sucked in also try to point the pump intake up.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search tunze pumps on ebay. Someone sell a 3d printed stand for the pump.
Mine is a little kalky at the moment. Sorry thats if you run a tunze ato.
20191117_185142.jpg

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to have a separate container for kalk and use a dosing pump controlled my ph monitoring.
I have seen people use pumps in their ATO sitting in a container.

Dr. Bull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run my kalk right from the ATO container and just kept the pump suspended using a basic cable clip from the hardware store attached to the stand or wall. After a few years of doing this I finally just broke down and bought kalk reactors for all of my tanks, and feed the RO water from the ATO into the reactors to avoid burning out the pump. Even if you suspend the pump above the kalk in your ATO you really need to stay on top of cleaning the impeller to prevent the calcium from building up on it and causing it to sieze up. Once you start burning through enough pumps due to neglect you will realize that a kalk reactor was well worth the added expense.

KrustyKrab305

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run my kalk right from the ATO container and just kept the pump suspended using a basic cable clip from the hardware store attached to the stand or wall. After a few years of doing this I finally just broke down and bought kalk reactors for all of my tanks, and feed the RO water from the ATO into the reactors to avoid burning out the pump. Even if you suspend the pump above the kalk in your ATO you really need to stay on top of cleaning the impeller to prevent the calcium from building up on it and causing it to sieze up. Once you start burning through enough pumps due to neglect you will realize that a kalk reactor was well worth the added expense.
DR. BULL, what brank kalk reactor are you using and can provide a picture of your reactor?

rvlcf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can place the pump in a small container in your top off bucket. It will keep the slurry out. I have been using a Tunze osmolator for years and the pump is still running strong.

HMpops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using this reactor, along with a Cobalt MJ1200 pump, since 2010 and its not failed me. I know its not going to last forever, as is the case with most equipment. But you can't beat it for the money. Keeps the pump in RO/DI water at all times.

IMG_1241.jpg

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In one of my tanks I use a tunze ato pump. It sits on an eggcrate platform so that it sits above the kalk residue. On my other tank I use an aqualifter pump and the intake hose is suspended above the kalk slurry. The aqualifter has been in use for over 10 years. Once or twice a year I run a warm vinegar solution through the pump and hoses, and I occasionally have to clean the end of the outlet hose.

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 20g food grade plastic bin. I drilled the holes for the power and water line to be tight and it holds the pump off the bottom. Pretty low tech but it works.

Brian barranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 20g food grade plastic bin. I drilled the holes for the power and water line to be tight and it holds the pump off the bottom. Pretty low tech but it works.
Same here . Air tight Plastic cereal bin & drilled holes & tape the water line near the drilled hole.makes it air tight

HMpops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, do you mind sharing what product you use...possibly a link?
Just purchased the Tunze and looking to replace my current reservoir.
Thanks!

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tunze osmolator and this for storage

20g container

I just drilled 2 small holes in the side by the handle and ran the hose and power cable through it. Super low tech but does the job.

Back